Ratings for Dr. Edward H. Stolar

I have used Dr. Stolar for a number of years now, mainly to deal with unusual lesions, skin tags and/or moles. He is extremely competent and you can usually get an appointment within a few weeks. He does not waste your time, listens attentively and has accurately diagnosed and treated all of the skin issues that I have seen him for. His staff is professional and attentive. Not sure you could ask for any more from a dermatologist.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2015

In my opinion, Ed Stolar is an incompetent jerk. I could deal with his arrogance, disinterest, and short attention span, if only he were competent. But no. Had a rash in my butt crack and saw him about it three times over several months. He originally prescribed steroids, then antibiotics. The third time I saw him, I reported that the rash came back the day after stopping antibiotics. He stated that the rash could not possibly be a bacteria due to the timing, then prescribed additional antibiotics. You don't need to be an MD to figure out what's wrong with that picture. Eventually, I read a WaPo article that discussed that certain adult sanitary wipes changed formulas to include allergens. I stopped with the wipes, and the rash went away. Not once in the three visits did Ed ask questions that would have revealed the actual problem. A general practice doctor, I can see missing the diagnosis, but this guy is supposed to be a dermatologist. Find someone who gives a darn instead.

Submitted December 9, 2014

Dr. Stolar charged me for a missed appointment even though I already canceled it. In fact I saw Dr. Stolar about 3 days before in his office and all my concerns were covered. His office should have canceled this later appointment being there was no reason to see the doctor. Instead I was accused of not cancelling the appointment and it was implied I was not telling the truth because I was asked for proof to materialize the text message sent by his office that I replied to stating I was cancelling the upcoming appointment. Dr.Stolar refused to not charge me $50.00. I was a patient of Dr. Stolar's for 20 years. I am not seeing him again. The whole matter was handled in an unprofessional manner. Dr. Stolar never once contacted me to discuss the issue. I would advise someone to ask for a receipt confirming the cancelation of their appointment or risk being charged $50. My experience was truly insulting.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2014

He was somewhat aloof and didn't seem all that interested in listening to my symptoms (I went in for very itchy eczema). He at least gave me an effective cream but doesn't seem like such a great guy. If I ever had to, I would get treatment for a serious skin condition from someone else.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2012

Dr. Edward H. Stolar is utterly lacking in human compassion and a desire to heal, rather than treat. He is condescending, arrogant, dismissive and pretentious. He actually told me I was asking to many questions and he didn't have time to answer questions I had about the bigger picture about my dermatological condition. Adding insult to injury his office manager is an unprofessional, bitter woman with an infantile attitude and completely lacking in professionalism. She told me they charge for patient records as their "policy" and there was nothing I could do about it. So don't be surprised if you want to take your records and go elsewhere, the Dr. and his office manager will not only be nasty and disrespectful, they will hold your records hostage until/unless you pay their petty "fee" for the privilege of getting the documentation of Dr. Stolar's abusive treatment. A "top ranked" doctor, but a low-grade human being.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2012

Dr. Stolar is good for cosmetic procedures and skin cancer, but if you have acne or psoriasis or another kind of chronic and incurable skin disease, he's not real interested. I went to him for over a decade and got no real help -- stopped going because it wasn't making a difference -- went back in desperation and found he'd "purged" my medical records and then didn't want to treat me because he had no medical record at hand. I went to a different dermatologist and she helped me more in one visit than Dr. Stolar ever did in over a decade. He's not great. You can find better.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2012

I should have sued Dr. Stolar because I had such a clear case of malpractice. I saw him 4 times over 12 months for an impossibly itchy scalp. He became increasingly impatient and condescending with me - finally when I had an incredible rash on my neck he took a sample of my skin to biopsy (suggesting I might have a rare celiac rash) and when it came back negative (I'd seen on the internet it looked nothing like that rash) he told me I should just continue taking antihistamines, which weren't doing a thing, bc I had an allergy. When I finally went to an allergist it took him 2 minutes to diagnose LICE!! I had a horrible infestation of more than a year that any school nurse could have diagnosed before I developed a classic lice rash (get this, from lice poop)! My only regret is that I settled for some $350 in out of pocket expenses for a lice picker. He's dangerously incompetent. Walk away!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr. Stolar's office for over 15 years and have never had a bad experience. I travel from Loudoun County for my appts.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2011

Very condescending. It was a negative experience because not only he's arrogant, its also because he said that he cannot help with my eczema and what I myself researched on the internet regarding eczema was probably better than what he was offering (he's words). I told him that the sugarless diet really helped me and I wanted him to elaborate on it, but instead he seemed condescending and said that its scientifically unproven and prescribed me the same bloody medication that dermatologists been prescribing me for 5 years. He said that acupuncture is scientifically proven and might help me, what? Non-traditional approach is more scientific than a proper diet? I've tried both and acupuncture doesn't do anything. I'm a student so i asked him how much will he charge, he said:hmm... about 130 dollars. When I saw the bill, it said 140. I feel like he ripped me off and humiliated + didn't help me with the cause. Staff changed so its good.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2011

Dr. Stolar managed not to diagnose my case of lice over a course of a year. He treated me like a "head" case. Did a biopsy for a rare disease -- imagine - 4 visits over 12 months and he missed this! I would stay away from him!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2010

Dr. Edward H. Stolar's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Stolar is a native Washingtonian. He attended the University of Rochester and graduated with BA in Biology and English. He attended George Washington University School of Medicine for both medical school and Dermatology training. He is currently an Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at George Washington University and a Senior Attending at The Washington Hospital Center. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery. He is active in the DC Medical Society. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and the Board of National Medical Examiners. Dr. Stolar has been selected as a “Top Doctor” in the Washingtonian, Washington Checkbook magazine and the Washington Post “Super Doctors”

• English

• George Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)
  • University of Rochester