Ratings for Dr. Judith Blitman

I was a patient for over 5 years. She is fantastic. Very practical, takes all the time necessary but is not one to dawdle. If you want to go to a psychiatrist to whine and you are an adult saw over 30 she will probably be not for you. If you want to get better,or stable, she can help. If you are high-maintenance and self-dramatizing go elsewhere. I can see how she is not a good fit for adolescents of any age.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Very judgy and rude intially, couldn't even schedule an appointment with her because of her hostile tone. Decided to just go with another doctor because how could I trust someone with my mental health when they speak with such a condescending tone?

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

Bad with trauma experiences. She can feel judgy. Please be aware. (I.e. asked if I'd ever had assertiveness training, ever thought not to invite a man over unless I wanted intercourse, asked whether I screamed out for help each time I was assaulted). Seems a bit culturally insensitive too. I'm Mexican American, and she seemed to struggle to relate to my upbringing. Finally, she told me that she has a hard policy: if you attempt suicide while in her care, she will stop seeing you. She said it's because it means you are not committed to your work with her, or that something isn't working. So, she'll make you find another psychiatrist if you attempt suicide. Note: this experience is just based on my first visit.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2015

Very intelligent and able to strategize and formulate "game plan" to try and improve one's situation. Very good at bureaucratic type issues. Good listener who is caring and sympathetic to one's difficulties.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

Very knowledgeable and interested in me as a person. Reliable and punctual. Sees patients on time. She is always very helpful.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2014

Dr. Blitman is a good listener. She was patient dealing with a difficult situation with an insurance company. I hear she's very busy and in great demand.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2014

What a B!t*h! I called to inquiry on behalf of a friend who needs help andshe was rude, obnoxious and then hanged up on me.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2014

It is IMPOSSIBLE to find a good psychiatrist in private practice in this city. I contacted Dr. Blitman because she had no waiting list and takes my insurance.. everywhere else, there is a waiting list several months long. I am now going to a clinic.. had to wait, but I'm sure the doctor I see will be a million times more professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Dr. Blitman is rude, demanding, not at all personable, and most of all, completely unprofessional. What's the point of seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression if that psychiatrist is going to get on the phone and yell at you that you about your co-pay and inability to make an appointment, knowing full well your condition and work schedule make those very things difficult for you? It's like I threw money at someone to be rude to me. That's not the kind of psychiatric care I was thinking when I visited. Avoid like the plague, get on a waiting list in Brooklyn for a professional.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2014

Would highly NOT recommend. Rude, impersonal, brash, dismissive. She spent most the time during the sessions interrogating about payment methods, insurance coverage; little to none therapeutic value, and ended up stressing the patient more. Additionally, her office is cluttered with decaying, broken furniture, piles of ancient scattered papers and refuse, and smells of mildew. Simply spending time in the waiting room would be enough to drive most people mad.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2013

She is a very caring psychiatrist. She is smart and has given me good advice. Although she has been impatient at times, the overall picture I have of her is excellent..She listens..She is also a very conscientious doctor.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2012

Dr. Judith Blitman's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1977)