Ratings for Dr. Thomas McNamara

Best doctor I have been to in ages. I had a nasty case of the flu and could not get in to see my regular doc that day, so they put me with Dr. McNamara. Now I want to switch to him as my primary!! Of any doc I've ever been to, he took the MOST time with me, to understand all my symptoms, answer all my questions, and explain everything. With every doctor I at least feel a LITTLE rushed... but he did not make me feel rushed whatsoever, not even a little. He was also funny (if you can make someone in the throes of the flu laugh, you KNOW you're batting a thousand!!). He was obviously extremely smart... he's got a great deal of experience so I would assume as much. I think he's been practicing since the 80s. Anyway, I think this guy is a rare find.... absolutely awesome. Would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2014

My husband and I have gone to Dr. McNamara for many years. He is a caring and understanding doctor and goes beyond what might be considered necessary in order to pursue all avenues that might help his patients. I would recommend him to anyone. His telephone answering system is poor, but you just have to keep calling back.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2010

I have only been with Dr. McNamara for a few years, but I feel he is amazing. He takes time with his patients and is so knowledgeable. I had a surgery that was done by another deoctor and he called me afetr it was done just to see how I was doing, he is GREAT!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2010

Dr. McNamara is knowledgeable. He is also caring when you don't question him or his staff. As another fellow poster said, the staff are "worse than bad," but bringinig it up to Dr. McNamara will get you treated as a trouble maker. When I brought up to him the problems with his staff, he basically told me to get lost. That's too bad because if he wanted to, he could make improvements in the practice. I also believe it's unprofessional to handle complaints in the manner Dr. M. handled them.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2010

The staff is worse than bad. Every phone call is handled via prompts and automated and waits are very long. Today almost a half hour later I was still being asked for the same information over and over again. All the women answering the phones I have talked to sound bored or drugged - very hard to understand. The Physisians Assistant was rude. I have had blood work done twice. The first time they never contacted me with results even after I called 2 or 3 times and was promised each time they would get them to me. Second time results were never sent and I had to call - which took forever on the phone. The whole Practice is Totally Unacceptable. Doctor is too involved with his computer and not involved enough with the person he is seeing.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2010

I see Dr. McNamara in his Germantown office. He is a straight-shooter with a good bedside manner, and a refreshing sense of humor. He listens and does not rush through an appointment. I can't say his front-office staff are the best, but honestly, I think that is the norm these days. I highly recommend Dr. McNamara.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2010

DR. McNamera's bedside manner is excellent. He gives each patient his undivided attention and takes the time to findout what other issues are afecting you, he is kind caring respectful and knowledgable- the only problem is the call center at both the Germantown and Bethesda offices is inefficient and makes it difficult to book an appointment- he has been my doctor for 4 years.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2009

Good talker but very shallow. Was ignorant of what medicines he had prescribed just months earlier.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2009

Dr.McNamara is a very competent and caring doctor who listens, explains options, answers questions, and demonstrates concern for patients. I recommend him without reservation. When he comes to the examination room, you feel as if you have his complete attention. The staff of physician's assistants are professional and very competent as well. The office seems to be stretched to handle its patient volume; contacting the office and getting the right response is not always as quick or as easy as I'd like. The phone trees aren't always reliable. The website could be a greater resource. However, while improvement in this area would be great, the "customer experience" is adequate. And again, Dr.McNamara is terrific.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2008

My husband and I both go to Dr. McNamera. We really like him, and once you get thru the byzantine front desk attendants, you get great care, because he really knows his stuff. He is kind and compassionate and will call you personally to talk thru any emergent issues. We highly recommend him and have been going to him for 10 years.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2008

Dr. Thomas McNamara's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1975)

Delta Dental