Ratings for Dr. Alan W. Hackford

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer and we originally went to Boston Medical who were unemphatic, dismissive and told us that "waiting another month isn't going to hurt" because he wasn't sure if the colonoscopy was clear enough. In search of a 2nd opinion, we found Dr. Hackford who told us the colonoscopy was very clear, demonstrated much patience in explaining the situation to my dad who didn't understand English. We were scheduled for surgery within two weeks and the mass was removed without any complications. My dad is now recovering well and I cannot thank Dr. Hackford enough for his knowledge, decisiveness, patience and even sense of humor in saving my dad's life.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

I have had only good experiences at Dr. Hackford's office. He was never rushed...sat and talked with me for 20 minutes at a time. He has a good sense of humor....which helps put the patient at ease in this particular type of examination.He was very helpful and knowlegable. I would highly reccomend Dr. H to family and friends. I would trust him to care for one of my children if need be...and that is a very high reccomendation.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2011

Obviously, going to see Dr. H. is a bit uncomfortable - I mean, my bum was killing me. But I thought Dr. H. was fantastic -he made some quirky jokes (nothing rude or disrespectful) - but just put me at ease. And he's a bit older, too, which makes it better. (That said, the first time I went, he had this incredibly good-looking, young intern-doc with him, and wow- that was embarrassing!) Anyway, I went several times to Dr. H, and always had a great experience while I was there- and what he prescribed eventually fixed me up! (without surgery)

flag | Submitted December 11, 2010

I HAD CANCER LAST YEAR AND HAD PROBLEMS AFTER THE SURGERY AND CANCER TREATMENTS.I WAS REFERRED TO DR. HACKFORD. HE WAS ARAGANT AND INSULTING.I WALKED OUT OF HIS OFFICE UPSET AND SHAKEN. HE HAD NO BEDSDE MANNER TO SAY THE LEAST. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND HIM. IF HE WAS THE LAST DOCTOR ON EARTH I WOULD NOT RETURN TO HIM.HE MADE UNRELATED INSULTS.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2010

Dr. Alan Hackford made a very disrespectful and unprofessional comment about the purpose of my visit that I involuntarily heard when I was waiting for him at the exam room. There are not words to describe the uncomfortable situation of putting yourself on hands of physician that without actually even looking at you already has a judgmental and poorly attitude toward his patient. This is my first time with this doctor and for sure it will be my last. He forgot to express professionalism at when he approached me with question about my case in front of practicing students, sounded like my situation was a lose of his time. I will definitive don’t recommend this doctor. Assisting a patient, lose of time?

flag | Submitted January 27, 2009

Dr. Hackford is very down-to-earth, approachable, and spent alot of time educating me on my condition and the surgical procedure I was scheduled to have. He's upbeat, positive, empathetic, and made me feel very well cared for. His bedside manner is wonderful and he's extremely intelligent and knowledgeable about his field.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2007

I was referred to Dr. Hackford by my PCP for a recurring colo-rectal problem. After waiting a very long time, I heard him talking with a secretary right outside my exam room. He berated her for 15 minutes for scheduling my appointment on short notice. He then came in for a total of 5 minutes, was dismissive of my problem, told me there was nothing I could do except lifestyle changes (which I had been doing for months). I got the appointment on short notice because of extreme pain and difficulty. I left his office in tears because he was so dismissive and because his only suggestion was to do what I had been doing for months, which was not working. I have never been so frustrated.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2005

Dr. Alan W. Hackford's Credentials

• University Of Connecticut School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)

Workers Comp