Ratings for Dr. Irene Shapiro

HOW OLD IS THIS WOMAN?!?! She is horrible, has bad hearing, and mumbles every word. She is not warm and friendly. When you ask her a question she will not give you a helpful answer. The staff takes their lunch break very seriously. Patients will have to wait until the staff finishes their sandwich or whatever. You could be near-death and still have to wait!! All this drama on my first visit! What a bad first impression. So disappointing. I can't believe I wasted my time with this doctor. All she cares about is getting paid. I guess if you worked as long as she has you would get bored at what you do too. Might as well retire! Don't go to this doctor. Save yourself a bad experience. Look elsewhere.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2010

I like Dr. Shapiro. She can be a little abrupt sometimes, that's just her personality- but if you get to know her a little she's more friendly. She's not one to volunteer lots of background information about an ailment, but if you ask she'll tell you all you want to know. Anyway, she's very experienced and really seems to know her stuff and that's most important. I love the "no appointments" policy- if you call they'll tell you her hours (including the closed-for-lunch time). I usually go early in the morning and there's often no wait, so I can still get to work on time. Not having appointments takes the worry out of finding an appointment if I suddenly get sick, and keeps me from hesitating if I'm not sure I'm really sick enough to go to the doctor. Since the office is kind of old-fashioned, I personally choose to go elsewhere for OB/GYN services and for specialists, but for general care/ first diagnosis I go to Dr. Shapiro.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2009

Would not trust her and regret going to her in the first place.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2006

Horrible. I spoke with somebody on the phone who said they don't accept appts so I rushed over only to have the door shut in my face because it was "lunch". The doctor was uncaring, rushed me out, and could give me absolutely no insight into my condition. I will never go to her again. My friend who is a resident gave me better information over the phone than Dr. Shapiro.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2006

I don't remember the last time I had to pay for a general visit, but apparently I do now. She was very uncaring and rushed me out. She's not a comfortable doctor to talk to about any medical issues. She's to old to be doing this. I shouldn't have to yell to talk to my doctor, or her secretary, because she's too deaf to hear me. I would NOT suggest using Shapiro.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2006

She's very helpful and has a no-nonsense attitude. She's also very efficient. The office is a bit out-dated and equipments seem old. I wouldn't do a pap smear there. But for other non-intrusive appointments, I'd use her.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2005

Dr. Irene Shapiro's Credentials

• New York Univ Sch Of Med, New York Ny 10016 (Grad. 1943)