Ratings for Dr. Melvin Ashford

I love going to the MN Women's Care clinic and Dr. Ashford is the best of the best that there is! He is very caring, knowledgeable and very passionate about what he does. Dr. Ashford delivered my soon in 2009 and when I found out he had his own clinic in 2013 I just had to have him as my doctor again for my second child and third child. His team is so amazingly wonderful and very friendly and I love that you can just chit chat about things you have in common with them or everyday life. I have recommended this clinic and Dr. Ashford to all of my family and friends. The facility is beautiful and very clean! Wait time and scheduling was excellent when they first opened and as time went on they became busier as a growing clinic and wait time and scheduling was some times longer and further out which is understandable as a growing clinic, but I called towards the end of Dec. 2017 and couldn't get in to see anyone until the end of Jan 2017 which I just think is too long of a wait to see someone. Overall I wouldn't go anywhere else, but here. I really appreciate what Dr. Ashford has done here for all Women and thank you to his family for sharing him with the world!

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I have had a great experience with Minnesota women's care at all four locations. When I was going through an ectopic pregnancy they were the most attentive out of all clinics I reached out to. They helped me through every stage including surgery. Naturally when I got pregnant again I went back and was able to meet many of the doctors and midwives. Now I am about to deliver my first child and am so excited!

flag | Submitted February 26, 2019

The staff as a whole was very polite and responsive, super supportive, and very sensitive to all of my concerns regarding my pregnancy.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2019

Not sure how many people can say (as a now employee with MNWC) thatthey followed Dr Ashford from Allina. Andrea has been my OB provider since 2002. I have seen many of the MNWC providers in my time and Dr Ashford delivered both my children. I absolutely love this family and the care they give. Dr Ashford has a wonderful mission! Thank you all.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2019

Awesome experience. Everyone makes me feel welcome. And they show they care. I am glad I came. To this clinic. For my pregnancy care

flag | Submitted January 14, 2019

I have been going to Minnesota Women's Care for a couple years now. I first went when there was only one MD and a couple of midwives. It has been exciting to see how it has grown. I started going to MN Women's Care for basic annual care and have stuck with them through my first pregnancy. The care they they provide is top notch. I love the option of seeing a midwife throughout pregnancy care and have had wonderful experiences with both Heather and Andrea. I have had more ultrasounds than most pregnant women generally get because of some complications and the ultrasound staff have been amazing too. I love that the tech's can communicate to you what they see and you don't have to wait to be told by the doctor. When I had complications the tech I saw at the ER couldn't tell me anything, not even heartbeat, that was scary(I do understand why she couldn't). When I went back to MN Women's Care the next day the ultrasound tech showed me exactly what she was looking at and what she found. That alone ensures that I will come back to MN Women's Care as long as they offer services. They really make you feel like you matter and that your concerns are real when you have them.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2019

I really like my provider Dr Ashford and his partners. The front desk staff always greets you with a smile and a warm welcome the facility is always clean and location is assessable if taking a bus. Scheduling and wait times are good if can't get in with primary you are always offered to see someone else. My treatment has always been excellent and geared to benefits my needs at the time. With that being said I need to call to schedule an appointment. Thank you, Cynthia Carter

flag | Submitted December 31, 2018

So far, I have been taken good care of. The front desk knows me by first name, the ultrasound tech always asks how my family is doing, the nurses go above and beyond their jobs (helping me with my crying 8 month old), and my midwife actually tested me for something no other doctor thought to check for and she was right! Thank you for being so personal and kind.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2018

I love the app for test results and maplewood office is so pretty and I love that the Woodbury location has toys for my two year old to play with while I'm waiting or being seen both are amazing

flag | Submitted December 17, 2018

My experience with Dr Ashford has been very positive in getting me back to good health after my surgery. I have had two surgeries with him and good results. Dr Ashford and nurses are a great team in providing healthy experience. Rachael, Andrea have done the uroystem treatment with me great success along with others that have assisted. I love Women's Care and have referred others to the clinic. Very helpful and supportive. Thanks, Shirley Aldentaler

flag | Submitted December 10, 2018

Dr. Melvin Ashford's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Our lives are so different than they were 50 years ago, yet much of the healthcare that’s provided to women hasn’t changed a bit. I don’t agree with that old-fashioned approach. I am committed to providing answers and solutions for the conditions women are facing right now – today – not yesterday. A half-century ago, when our mothers and grandmothers faced medical problems, they were often told to “just live with it.” That's not right. I never expect any of my patients to “just live with” issues that are impacting their lives. I am determined to provide a solution. My education didn't stop with my residency and advanced training. I’ve traveled and continue to travel all over the world to learn from the best-of-the-best so that when my patients are suffering with a condition that impacts their lifestyle or standard of living, I have an answer and solution. I've always had a strong drive to push the boundaries further. This likely stems from my upbringing in Detroit and has served my patients well. I strive to have a positive impact on every patient that I see. Of course I know that I won’t be able to fix everything (only God can), but I will never stop trying!"

• English

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)
  • University of Michigan (Grad. 1993)

• Anterior prolapse (cystocele)
  • Posterior prolapse (rectocele)
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Vaginal hysterectomy
  • Robotic myomectomy
  • Endometriosis
  • Pelvic exam
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women

• Solomon Carter Fuller Award
  • Felix Rutledge MD Anderson Fellowship
  • Alpha Kappa Alpha Advancement Award
  • Dorothy Marvin Highest Creog Award
  • AAGL excellence in endoscopic procedures
  • St.Paul/Minneapolis Magazine "TOP Doc"

• Exair Prolapse Repair System versus Native Tissue Repair for Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Exair 522 Study.
  • The Tension-free Vaginal Tape System and surgical treatment of stress urinary incontinence in a teaching setting. American Urogynecology Society Abstracts
  • Review of Current Therapy in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Fertility and Sterility. 2000; 74(1): 191.
  • The Bloodless Blood Knot. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2000; 96(5): 799-800.

Top Hospitals in Maplewood, MN