Dr. Melvin Ashford's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Our lives are so different than they were 50 years ago, yet much of the healthcare that’s provided to women hasn’t changed a bit. I don’t agree with that old-fashioned approach. I am committed to providing answers and solutions for the conditions women are facing right now – today – not yesterday. A half-century ago, when our mothers and grandmothers faced medical problems, they were often told to “just live with it.” That's not right. I never expect any of my patients to “just live with” issues that are impacting their lives. I am determined to provide a solution. My education didn't stop with my residency and advanced training. I’ve traveled and continue to travel all over the world to learn from the best-of-the-best so that when my patients are suffering with a condition that impacts their lifestyle or standard of living, I have an answer and solution. I've always had a strong drive to push the boundaries further. This likely stems from my upbringing in Detroit and has served my patients well. I strive to have a positive impact on every patient that I see. Of course I know that I won’t be able to fix everything (only God can), but I will never stop trying!"
- Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)
- University of Michigan (Grad. 1993)
Areas of Expertise
- Anterior prolapse (cystocele)
- Posterior prolapse (rectocele)
- Urinary incontinence
- Stress incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Vaginal atrophy
- Vaginal hysterectomy
- Robotic myomectomy
- Pelvic exam
- Chronic pelvic pain in women
Awards & Recognitions
- Solomon Carter Fuller Award
- Felix Rutledge MD Anderson Fellowship
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Advancement Award
- Dorothy Marvin Highest Creog Award
- AAGL excellence in endoscopic procedures
- St.Paul/Minneapolis Magazine "TOP Doc"
Publications & Research
- Exair Prolapse Repair System versus Native Tissue Repair for Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Exair 522 Study.
- The Tension-free Vaginal Tape System and surgical treatment of stress urinary incontinence in a teaching setting. American Urogynecology Society Abstracts
- Review of Current Therapy in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Fertility and Sterility. 2000; 74(1): 191.
- The Bloodless Blood Knot. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2000; 96(5): 799-800.