Ratings for Dr. R.L. Patrick Rhoten

My life hasn't been the same since this man operated on me! I HIGHLY recommend you go elsewhere!

flag | Submitted March 18, 2016

Dr. Rhoten performed an artificial disc replacement surgery at C6/7 and it was not done correctly. I had pain ever since and now I am needing another surgery to correct his failed efforts. The disc he put in was not correctly placed and is putting pressure on my spinal cord and the left side nerve. He ordered an MRI but it did not show much because of the metal disc. He said everything looked fine and the pain will go away. Well it did not. I had another Doctor at Kerlin Jobe look at my neck and within 30 seconds said "I see your problem". When he put the disc in, he misaligned my vertabrae causing all of my pain. I need to have another more risky surgery now to re-do his mess. All of the problems he created were able to be seen on a simple xray. I believe he gas since moved on to Kaiser hospital i nSan Diego. Be aware.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2016

Dr. Rhoten performed spinal decompression surgery on me a few months ago. I have seen him four times over the 18 months prior to the surgery, and twice since. While he may or may not be a competent surgeon, the inability to get prompt esponses from him and his staff is deplorable. I was told at one point that it would take a month to get a phone call once he had seen my MRI results, instead I scheduled an (expensive) appointment and waited almost 90 minutes. Office visits frequently required waiting more than 30-45 minutes to see him. Then, since the surgery, he's taken 3-5 days to return my messages and calls, which is a long time when you're in a lot of (unexpected) pain. His staff is even worse. I never got a response from them without leaving 3+ messages or emails, and then, getting details is like pulling teeth. Immensely frustrating experience overall. Definitely would NOT RECOMMEND under any circumstances. Fortunately there are lots of very good spine docs in LA.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

WHEN I STARTED OUT I WAS (60) yrs old. I HAVE HAD 4 or 5 SURGERIES DEPENDING ON HOW YOU COUNT. EVERY TIME I GOT CUT. IT WAS A SURGERY TO ME. (ONE)<AGE 60>I HAD BACK SURGERY IN 2000, I HAD SIX (6) SCREWS PUT IN MY BACK. (TWO)2006 <AGE 66> HE TOOK OUT THE (6) SCREWS OUT & PUT (8) SCREWS IN. ALSO CUT ON MY LEFT SIDE. "WHY"??? LATER ON HE TOLD ME, "MY BA CK WAS HEALED",. SHOWED ME MY THE NEW X-RAY, SAYING; "LOOK AT THE CURVE OF YOUR SPINE. I GOING TO "YANK THOSE SCREWS OUT". (THREE) 2008<AGE 68>HE DID, WHEN HE TOOK THE (8) SCREWS OUT. "I WENT DOWN AS IF I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ON THE FLOOR". EACH TIME HE DID SURGERY HE WOULD SAY THIS IS GOING TO FIX YOU. (FOUR) 2009 <AGE 69>HE PUT IN 16 to 20 SCREWS & RODS IN, ALSO TOOK A RIB OUT . "WHY"??? HE TOLD ME"YOU WILL BE PLAYING TENNIS IS SIX(6) MONTHS. "THIS IS GOING TO FIX YOU". I KEPT GOING BACK SAYING, "HOW LONG IS GOING TO TAKE? "OH, AT YOUR AGE IT WILL TAKE UP TO TWO (2) YEARS TO HEAL. <2011>AFTER (4) SURGERIES, I AM WORST THEN I WAS EACH TIME HE OPERATED. <2012>HE SUGGESTED "ANOTHER 18 hr SURGERY, TO TRY TO REPAIR WHAT IS WRONG". ALSO I WOULD HAVE TO SIGN THAT I KNOW I MIGHT DIE. I THINK HE DID EXPERIENTIAL SURGERIES ON ME. I WENT AND GOT (3) THREE OTHER DOCTORS IN THE SAME OFFICE TO TELL ME WHAT THEY THOUGHT. (FIRST) SAID "WHO DID THIS TO YOU"?????????????????? (SECOND) "WHY DID HE DO SURGERY AFTER SURGERY, AND WHY DID HE TAKE A RIB OUT"? (THIRD) SAID "YOU WILL NEVER STAND UP STRAIGHT, HE HAS YOU SCREWED OVER IN FORWARD POSITION OR ANGLE". I TRIED TO COMPLAIN TO THE MEDICAL BOARD, "IF YOU HAVE NOT FILED A COMPLAINT AFTER TWO (2) YEARS, YOU CAN NOT". <2014> I WAS ON A ELEVATOR GOING TO THE PAIN CENTER IN THE SAME BLDG WITH 'DR RHOTEN'. WHEN HE GOT ON THE SAME ELEVATOR WITH ME SAYING, "YOU ARE STANDING UP STRAIGHT". I SAID "STRAIGHT!!!!!!!! "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT, I HAVE ON A BACK BRACE TO HOLD ME UP FROM GOING DOWN TO THE FLOOR, WALKING WITH A CANE"!!!!! "ARE YOU BLIND OR CRAZY"????????? THAT IS WHAT EXPERIENCE I HAD WITH RHOTEN

Submitted October 11, 2014

Dr. Rhoten is the smartest Doctor I have ever met. He was my 3rd visit to a doctor trying to diagnose my spine/back issue - he nailed it through combination of x-rays and analysis. This guy is an amazing genius! I would strongly recommend him to all.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014

I just had double fusion and I agree with other patients. Rhoten is the best and his staff is not only inefficient but rude. It does make a difference in the experience. Too bad.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2013

After 3 previous lumbar surgeries, I was scared to death to attempt a 4th, yet my pain and decreasing ability to function left me no choice. 2 other drs misdiagnosed my condition. Dr. Rhoten was the only surgeon that understood my complications. My MRI was inconclusive, so he ordered different diagnostic tests. My ins co denied our request for Artificial Disk Replacements, Dr. Rhoten brainstormed a solution that my ins co accepted. I now have a 2 level fusion with a state of the art D.S.S on the 3rd level which greatly reduces the strain on the remaining lumbar discs. Dr. Rhoten chose this type of hardware specifically to reduce my chances of ever needing a 5th surgery. I went from not sleeping, unable to sit, and driving with stabbing pain to sitting as long as I need to, sleeping very well, walking 3 miles a day, and driving with ease. My results are amazing, ESPECIALLY after a 4th lumbar surgery. I HIGHLY and without hesitation recommend Dr. Patrick Rhoten. Elizabethinca@gmail.com

flag | Submitted October 16, 2011

Well, I'm posting for the second time ... I posted a fabulous review back in May 2009 after my back surgery and still stand by that review but I had neck surgery in Dec 2010 and had the WORST experience with Dr Rhoten's new staff. I too believe that the staff is an extension of a Dr's reputation and I can tell you from first hand experience that it makes a world of difference when you are going through makor surgery. Dr. Rhoten is the BEST but his current staff is the WORST!!!

flag | Submitted May 28, 2011

This guy is the best!!!!His old staff that used to be there, is no longer present and I was able to get in quickly and have him see me and my MRI. He talked me out of surgery after another Cedars doc said surgery was absolutely needed!!! Great dr

flag | Submitted January 15, 2011

I went for a consultation. The wait was too long. Doctor seems nice but very busy. The women up front were talking a lot amongst themselves and distracted. Not sure if I'll go back. He wants me to have an MRI. A good vibe is important to me and just feel eh about my experience but will keep an open mind. I'll do an update if I move forward with this physician.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2010

Dr. R.L. Patrick Rhoten's Credentials

• Texas Tech University Health Science Center School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)