Ratings for Dr. Steven A. Katz

My father is a patient of Dr. Katz, and as of typing this review, has been in the hospital for nearly a week. Dr. Katz has been nowhere to be found, his office staff and fellow doctors in his building do not know where he is, and he has not returned a single call. Nothing has been done to improve my father's condition, and he is back to where he was the night he was brought into the ER. Communication among the other doctors is very poor, as not even the on-call doctor saw him until almost a full 24 hours after he was first brought into the ER. Very poor group of doctors, do not go here if you want quick, painless treatment.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2016

Dr. Katz performed a routine procedure on me almost 4 years ago, and after 3 revision procedures (performed by 2 other surgeons), the damage he did to my body continues to cause nearly constant pain. Dr. Katz is a "nice" man on the surface of things--pleasant manner, calming voice, good sense of humor--but you have to look at his actions to get a clearer picture of his real attitude towards his patients and his practice. So here's the evidence: talked me into having my procedure done at his private surgical center ($$$$$!) which created havoc with insurance (out-of-network, of course, even though I belong to a major union and my insurance carrier and plan are common throughout the state); on the day of my surgery, he was late because he was performing surgery at a local hospital (where I'm sure I would have had excellent care, and perhaps my doctor would have had someone watching over him)--now when I say "hours," I mean that my procedure was scheduled for 9 AM and he didn't show up until he finished up at the hospital and then had lunch (yes, I know this because I overheard the nurses talking about it because it was messing with their schedules, as well), so my surgery didn't commence until after 1 PM, for which he made absolutely no apology whatsoever; since it was a Friday before a 3-day weekend, Dr. Katz left immediately after I regained consciousness, and when my recovery was no recovery at all, he was only available to the staff by phone; during a follow-up visit (after I had been to the ER twice due to his bungling of the procedure) he performed a very painful in-office procedure that he had personally promised to me that he would never do to me without anaesthesia, and he did not care one whit when I reminded him of this; his suggestion for treatment before an obviously necessary revision surgery was so absurd that two other urologists, one of whom is in his own practice, confirmed that I was correct to refuse to go along with it because it made no sense. Look at these actions and then ask yourself why a practice that has been hearing for years that their office staff is the rudest bunch of incompetents in Bergen County does absolutely nothing to address the problem. I think it's because they just don't care. Steven Katz is an appallingly bad doctor, but I guess after you've dealt with his office staff, he seems "nice."

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Dr. Katz is great, but like the others said, billing is a MESS! After two years of lost checks, confusing billing statements, services billed a year after they were provided, wrong insurance billed (even after new card was presente)...I decided to find another urologist with a competent billing staff and save myself hours of research work trying to figure out what was valid.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2014

Urology Center does not understand the new realities of healthcare - patients are customers and the customer experience is paramount to loyalty and long term relationships. I have been a customer of Dr Katz for over 10 years. Today I was treated as though I was unknown entity and a credit risk. Dr Katz is not in my new insurance network but because of our long term relationship I was willing to pay $500 out of pocket to see him. I asked the receptionist if I could pay after the visit as I was waiting to get the number of my HRA debit card from my wife. The receptionist refused and to let me see him until I paid. I would not recommend Urology Center as there are many competent competitors with good customer relationship processes.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2014

Staff was worst experience of vist, doctor was rated good

flag | Submitted October 3, 2011

Good doctor but the billing office is a mess. They kept billing me for services that were already paid for in full. I tried to expalin this to the billing people but they just kept saying their same "line" to me over and over. I could have reported them to Medicare but I felt bad for Dr. Katz. This is a perfect example of a good doctor being badly hurt by a stupid billing staff.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2006

He has been an excellent doctor with my husband. He has been treating my husband for prostate cancer and performed the surgery. He has always been supportive and available and ready to answer any question(s) or to clarify any doubts we may have.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2006

I went to Katz after another urologist (not in your listings) pierced my prostate during a routine cystoscopy, causing my urethra to constrict and forcing me to wear a catheter. Katz was friendly, empathetic, discused various options, saw me several times befoe performing TURP; then saw me for several followups; I am completely cured. Katz is cautious, deliberative, willing to recommend other procedures before surgery and explain each thoroughly. I would definitely use him again, even though he's no longer accepting my insurer.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

My husband went to him for treatment. He recommended my husband get an office procedure and because he would be unavailable on the date of the procedure, he had his associate perform it. My husband was infected with uro-sepsis and almost passed away at Englewood Hospital. Not once did Steven Katz stop by to see how my husband was and I did hear his named called tons of times in the 8 days he was hospitalized. My husband was his patient and the lack of integrity and morality was appalling!!

flag | Submitted November 19, 2005

Dr. Steven A. Katz's Credentials

• Suny At Buffalo Sch Of Med & Biomedical Sci, Buffalo Ny 14214 (Grad. 1969)