Ratings for Dr. Matthew J. Eppley

DR. Eppley performed surgery on my cervical area and I had the Best !!! Experience!!! I am a nurse, 30 years, and very very picky about my doctors. Could not have been happier with my care !

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

I am amazed to see this "doctor" has such a high rating. I was referred to him after an "accidental finding" of a herniated disc causing spinal stenosis and cauda equina. I wasn't having symptoms at that time but he was blown away by the size of the herniatiom and that I seemed to exhibit no symptoms (I had learned to live with mild low back pain). In June, I got a trainer after gaining some weight, informed said trainer of back issue, and was assured they knew what they were doing. After two sessions I was in excruciating pain. They sent me to PT but my symptoms progressed until I was losing control over my legs (collapsing, etc) and my bladder (unable to urinate and getting frequent UTIs). That is why I gave the green light for surgery - a microdiscectomy of my L5-S1, during which they caused a spinal fluid leak, and I woke with total numbness of my right leg. In all of this time and as I continue to be seen with further complications I am forced to wonder if Dr. Eppley exists at all - I saw him for two seconds as they gave me medicine to go under and he apparently spoke to me in recovery of which I have no memory. Otherwise, I am always swing PA Scott Winfield who is equally incompetent. My pain is the same or worse than before surgery. I was told to expect to begin to feel more normal by Christmas, instead I am losing control of my legs and bladder again. I address this with Scott every visit and get the same recycled answer: that my nerves were very agitated and angry and swollen and I just need to give them time to heal. Meanwhile, they keep reducing my pain medication without communicating this to me, I only find out when the amount I'm given has dropped suddenly, nor am I guided in the new dosing regiment as the instructions on the bottle remain the same. For example, I am currently given 45 pills meant to last 15 days, as per my insurance, yet the bottle still says a max of 5 pills a day. Do the math: 5 pills a day, with 45 total pills, does not equal 15 days. I can take a max of 3 pills which I've learned the hard way after not paying much attention, assuming that if I were being weaned, I would be told. All in all, I've gone days without any pain medicine at all which is pure torture and simply because I could not stand the pain, or the withdrawal, any longer, I have, on occasion, paid out of pocket. As someone on disability pay and zero other income (I was actively seeking employment pre-injury as well as attending college full time) that isn't something I can really afford to do. Thankfully, I'm paying attention now and looking, unsuccessfully, for a different doctor. I implore you, DO NOT SEEK CARE FROM DR. EPPLEY. I cannot speak for his associates, they may be okay or great. But as for Eppley and his PA, Scott, you'd be better off going back to the civil war and having field surgery during battle than trusting them with a scalpel or even non-surgical aid.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Going to this Dr was the most horrible experience I've ever had. Dr. Eppley has absolutely no compassion and basically refused to treat my back issues and told me in no uncertain terms that no respectable neurosurgeon would treat me and I should go home, lose weight and my back problems (2 completely herniated discs, 2 bulging discs and a pinched sciatic nerve)would disappear. I would never recommend this Dr. to anyone.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2016

If your tests reveal that you are not a potential surgical patient/paycheck, do not expect to be treated with patience or respect. Dr. Eppley may be very good as a technician, but I always believed doctors were supposed to be more than that. If you're looking for respect and perhaps a bit more than ten minutes of consultation time, look elsewhere. He has a very short fuse if your question pushes your ten minutes into the twelve minute range. He also has a very high opinion of himself and can quickly assume a bullying position if he feels you think something he has said is incorrect.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016

Excellent doctor with an exceptional PA-C, nurse, and scheduling Secretary. I was very pleased with the manner in which things were explained to me, it really put my mind at ease and I have been given a second chance at living a full life with little to no pain. Thank you, Dr. Eppley, Mr. Winfield, PA-C, Kathie their nurse, and Doris their scheduling Secretary, what an outstanding team. They will do right by you, but follow their directions to the letter for the best outcome.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

Dr. Eppley replaced a herniated disk I had that was pushing on my spinal cord with a artificial disk. This was my first surgery so I was very nervous. Dr. Eppley did a excellent job. I was able to walk out of the hospital that day and was able to play sports 6 weeks later. He was highly recommended by several people and he didn't disappoint.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2009

great bedside manner,explained everything thoroughly,would highly recommend

flag | Submitted March 3, 2009

Very good bedside manner. Answers all questions pariently and thoroughly. I've had good results from 2 surgeries. I'm not to happy with his P.A.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2008

Dr. Matthew J. Eppley's Credentials

• Univ Of Cincinnati Coll Of Med, Cincinnati Oh 45267 (Grad. 1990)

Commercial Insurance Company