Ratings for Dr. Kimberly H. Pearson

I have to totally agree with the negative reviews here. Poor office practice, lack of empathy, over-prescribing, not listening, etc. etc. etc. And then has the audacity to charge what she does (so glad I have paid for all her high-end clothing over the years). I strongly suspect that this woman has some issues of her own. Have long since moved on to a much better therapist. Not worth the money or the time.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2016

I had the pleasure of knowing Dr Pearson from 2001 until 2013. My first reaction was, "Oh no, not another young one." When I first started seeing her she looked about 16. However, she seemed far more experienced and knowledgeable than the other young one I had seen. I never liked her abrupt manner, especially on the phone. I started timing her callbacks with a second-hand watch. Most were under 15 seconds, consisting of her telling me to take a "PRN" and then, hanging up. I avoided calling her when I realized that I wasn't benefiting from doing so. I was amazed that other people told me their psychiatrists actually talked with them. "Care" from Pearson got worse and worse. She left McLean and I saw her at MGH from then on. After a couple of years, they made all the doctors take notes on computer while we were talking. I learned that she was writing down verbatim SOME of the things I said, other things seemed to fly right by her. She quoted me back a number of times, trying to prove her point, but it seemed like she was similar to other psychiatrists I'd seen, twisting my words around and taking them out of context. Beginning around 2008 she began using threats and scare tactics with me. In 2008 she literally yelled at me over the phone nonstop and very loudly. I wondered who was "mentally ill." She didn't know it, but there were others in the room with me and so I had witnesses. They were shocked that a professional would act this way. When I was sexually assaulted by my neighbor it flew right past her. Did she think that was unimportant? She brushed aside my boyfriend's death and but she did say she was sorry when my dog died. At one point she had me on three antipsychotics all at high doses, three anticonvulsants, and an antidepressant. If you like drug cocktails, go to her and you'll get one. As for my eating disorder, she used threats and more scare tactics. Once, she told me I looked like I'd come from Auschwitz. When I complained about drug side effects she denied these existed. For instance, when I had double vision from 600mgs Lamictal per day, and unheard-of high dose, she claimed that "wasn't possible." Finally, one day I couldn't stand up! My weight had already doubled (from normal to obese) from taking 600 mgs Seroquel per day. After it was raised to 900, I gained 50 pounds in six months. During her maternity leave I found that I was so overweight that my knee gave out. This was 2005 and 2006. I spent that time in a wheelchair and was a shut in. She came back from maternity leave (tanned and toned) and I was heavier than I'd ever been, barely avle to stand up using a walker. Her words were, "I didn't know you use a walker now." So this was my mental patient fate. Deteriorating health and most likely, early death. Just the breaks. I finally got up the guts to fire her in 2013. Afterward, when I found myself in the hospital having nearly died of kidney failure, I called her and asked her to call me. She didn't. She gave grossly inaccurate information to Mount Auburn Hospital. I ask myself, now that I am two years out of that awful situation, why the diabetes insipidus I had went undetected for 27 years. I reported thirst many times. I am now off the drugs, all of them. I never needed them. I am not unstable nor do I have moodswings nor am I self-destructive nor violent. I'm doing fine taking care of myself.. I have been psychiatry-free since 2013. I do have some physical damage from taking psych drugs I never needed. Mostly, I regret the lost years I spent believing I had a "mental illness." I regret the day in 1981 when I decided to see a therapist. "Getting help" was a bad choice. I've spent over three decades on disability. What happened to that talented college student I had once been who had excelled in music and was bound for success? I'm 57 years old now, trying to get my life back.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2015

I feel relieved that I took the time to seek a second doctors opinion. I did not feel confident in her many prescriptions. In retrospect, recommending a GP annual physical with proper bloodwork before placing me on heavy psychiatric meds would have saved a great deal of time and effort for everyone. Sometimes the blues are a symptom of a physical health problem. I feel she should have encouraged this step - especially when I expressed I did not feel great or improved on the medicine. Also, I did not feel the therapy aspect was the best. In fact, I kinda felt like if I voiced any one of many normal human feelings aside from "chipper/perky" the solution was to "medicate that feeling!" as quickly as possible. It seemed like if I expressed any one of a typical range of feelings about a typically difficult experience (such as a major marital discovery) the chance to just talk was less about feeling listened to and more about feeling evaluated. Which in turn meant **Let's Add Another Medicine!** I felt like a hamster on a wheel. It was hard because I really liked this doctor as a lady. I just feel like she made some poor calls with my health. When I tried to tell her a third time that I did not feel right on her medicines, her reply comments back made me feel disrespected and patronized. I was surprised that she kind of wanted to put me in a box and not be open to how I was doing in the box she picked. That's when I began considering a second opinion. And so glad I did! That doctor INSISTED that I complete an annual check up! Turns out - I had a biological reason --- previously undiscovered physical health condition ---that when found and treated by my primary care doctor, helped me get back to my normal self in less than two months! I feel SO much better off of her intense cocktales. And - I found a proper marriage counselor :-) I hate to think where I would be today had that great second psychiatrist not sent me for a GP check-up. I just feel like alotta time was wasted for me and for my kids who want a happy and healthy Mom. I don't have a lot of history with psychiatry, so there is also a chance this just was not an great fit for me.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Dr. Pearson is by far the best therapist and psychiatrist I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I’m sure some may think this review is ‘over-the-top’, but honestly, I can’t say enough wonderful things about her and as someone who has struggled to find good treatment resources over the years, I needed to share. ABOUT ME: I was diagnosed as bi-polar II when I was 17 yo – I’m now 43. Needless to say, I’ve seen my numerous therapists and psychiatrists over the years, and been on a multitude of ‘cocktails’. I’ve also lived and received treatment in three states – two west coast and then MA. I can unflinchingly state: Dr. Pearson literally (not figuratively) saved my life. I know, I know… crazy dramatic statement, but completely true. I was going through a depressive cycle like none I’d ever experienced in the 25+ years since I’d been diagnosed – I would have done ANYTHING to escape it. I required treatment in a hospital and was then referred to Dr. Pearson for after-care. Let’s me start with the simple things that made it great to work with Dr. Pearson. First, the fact that she is both a therapist and a prescribing psychiatrist was just heaven! Like most, I am an extremely busy professional, I don’t have time to go to a therapist AND a psychiatrist, and frankly, I don’t want to. It just means telling ‘your story’ to two people and then keeping each informed of what the other is doing in terms of treatment. Not to mention – seeing two separate people means two separate co-pays! As a ‘two-fer’, Dr. Pearson eliminates all of these hassles of seeing more than one treatment resource. Additionally, as my therapist, I felt she was in a better, more informed position when making medication decisions. The other fantastic benefit was her incredibly flexible scheduling – Dr. Pearson was always very helpful in trying to accommodate my schedule. As a therapist, Dr. Pearson immediately put me at ease. She was affable and kind, but also knew when to question me or get me to question myself. Unlike most therapists, she didn’t just sit there and ask incessant questions while scribbling away… she questioned, listened, and then offered thoughtful insights and REAL solutions when possible. She was also incredibly genuine – this is in contrast to previous therapists I’ve had over the years that I felt were a little too ‘touchy-feely’ or ‘hippy-dippy’. I didn’t/don’t need consolation or ‘hand-patting’, I needed help and that’s what I got. I also felt completely confident in Dr. Pearson’s psycho-pharmacological knowledge. A large part of the reason I was ‘stuck’ in the depressive cycle was because my ‘cocktail’ of five years had stopped working. I’ve been on so many combos over the years that: a) I’ve built up a tolerance to a drug; b) already know I can’t tolerate a drug’s side effects; or c) a drug simply doesn’t work for me (heck, it’s a wonder anything works anymore). So as odd as it may sound, Dr. Pearson clearly had to exercise not only her psycho-pharmacological knowledge, but also what I’m sure was a bit of research and frankly creativity, to find the perfect mix that got me ‘even’ again. Anywho… this is already too long, but if you’re like me and you’ve been ‘dealing’ with your diagnosis for as long as I have, you want to scream it from the mountain top when you find someone who truly helped you. I saw Dr. Pearson for about two years and unfortunately had to move 3,000 miles away or I would still be seeing her today. In fact, if I ever move back to MA I would immediately seek out her services. Hope these insights have been helpful. Best of luck in your search.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2015

I unfortunately have been extremely dissappointed. I provided plenty of information that should have allowed Dr. KP to see that I am sensitive to meds. She both ramped me up and pulled me off faster than she should have. Most dissappointingly she has poor bed side manner. She never makes eye contact and is constantly taking notes. High price for poor service and lack of empathy.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2014

In the beginning, Dr. Pearson was the most amazing, knowledgable, helpful person I have worked with. However, after several visits, I began getting "invoices" from her receptionist that looked like a bill. When I asked about this, I was told to ignore them as they were being sent to me only for my records & weren't a bill. 1month later, while talking about my financial struggles, she brought up that I had a balance with her. I owed her over $500. She was balance billing, & is not allowed by BC/BS w/ the plan I had. I was originally told that she was a BCBS provider & would only need a to pay a co-pay of $5. It was all worked out eventually. There were also problems with Dr. P not listening when I stated repeatedly that I have a seritonin sensitivity & experience major side-effects/withdrawals when trying out new meds. This was a major contributor in my gaining over 75lbs in 2months [yes i was active, eating healthy, etc.] Sadly, I still have not been able to loose that weight.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2012

I flew to see her from TX for a second opinion related to meds during pregnancy. She was so detailed in her workup and wrote a 4 page recomendation letter with an offer to be available by phone for follow ups. It was worth my trip and I got what I came for. I wish she was my full time doc.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2009

She is professional, caring, and the best doctor! I have been through a couple of psychiatrists looking for someone I could feel comfortable with and who would work with my primary care. I am done looking.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2008

Dr. Kimberly H. Pearson's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1996)