Ratings for Dr. John V. Brown

I was diagnosed with 10 cm adnexal mass suspicious of malignancy. My ob/gyn recommended Dr Brown. But I I could not get an appointment right away. In the meantime I visited 2 other Gynecologic oncologists and had ct scan, tumor marker blood tests,etc done. I visited dr Fikret Atamdede in Torrance, Dr. Bristow at UCI health, Dr Beth Karlan at Cedar Sinai Los Angeles. And finally Dr Brown at Hoag. I had the best experience with Dr Karlan and Dr Brown. I was scheduled for a surgery at Cedar Sinai on May 14th. When I visited Dr Brown he was able to schedule my surgery on May 8th. And I learned that Dr Karlan and Dr Brown we’re trained together at some point. Both were very nice, comforting, knowledgeable, gives all the details in very nice way so I did not feel that I was in the end of the road. Because they both suggested the laparoscopic surgery and minimal invasive procedure, I decided to go with Dr Brown because Hoag is close to our home as we live in Aliso Viejo. Dr Karlan was also very happy for me that I got an earlier date with Dr Brown. The surgery day came, Dr Brown was very very nice, he comforted me and my husband. Two of my friends had the same surgery and their mass was even smaller, and they told me They could not go to restroom by themselves for a week and could not move much. So my husband took a week off from work. After the surgery, I was outpatient and went back home. In couple hours I was able to use restroom by myself, the next day I woke up and cooked omelette to my self, I did not use even ibuprofen after 2 days. And I am a person who normally do not recover quickly. Even when I gave normal birth to my son, I was not able to recover in months. Dr Brown is extraordinary skilled surgeon, Also very nice, funny, supportive. He took a lot of time in the surgery about 3 hours (usual is 1-5-2hrs) to make sure minimally invasive. After the surgery Dr Brown met with my husband and spend a lot of time answering our pre ready question list. He was very caring to my family as well. I cannot be more thankful that He was my surgeon. My mass turned out to be benign for which Dr. Bristow highly thought was malignant and wanted to perform vertical incision to avoid risks but the way he approached it was very awful. I felt very bad after my visit at UCI Health. After visiting 4 different hospitals and doctors all around SoCal, I recommend Dr Brown Hoag the greatest surgeon in OC. I can tell that He cared about me as a person, young woman and a mom. Thank you Dr Brown. I could not have made a better decision! Been 6 days, I go to TJ for shopping, cook for my kids, still rest a lot by choice. (If you live closer to LA, Dr Karlan her nurse Anastasia at Cedar Sinai are great great great as well.)

flag | Submitted May 14, 2018

Seemed nice enough at the pre operative appointment although he did seem rushed. Terrible after surgery by showing how completely disinterested he is in his patients recovery. Would not recommend him to my worst enemy.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

I cannot applaud the work of Dr. Brown enough. I cold not have been in better hands and I truly feel blessed that He was highly recommended to me. He has such a wonderful manner and explains everything very clearly. His skills as a surgeon are amazing. He also surrounds himself with caring support staff. Highly recommend!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2018

Dr. Brown did an wonderful job helping me find my way back to health and happiness. I had to get a hysterectomy which was too complex for my regular gynecologist to perform due to several issues including that my uterus was quite enlarged. The procedure went very smoothly with no complications and an easy recovery. Dr. Brown is an excellent surgeon and I am very satisfied with his knowledge, skills, and kind demeanor. His office is also quite nice, with large clean rooms and a private bathroom adjoined to each examination room. His staff is professional yet very friendly. Appointments were easy to schedule and when I had concerns that did not require an office visit I was able to reach a physician's assistant to answer my questions.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2015

After finding out I had Cervical Cancer Dr Brown was wonderful stayed in touch with me to provide me test results from two biopsies before having final surgery! I come from Glendora and will continue to see him for all follow up visits! He and Lisa his nurse are very carrying. Front office are very friendly.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2015

My relative just had surgery today and mother in law and Grandma were left in waiting room for Dr. to update them but he never did after hours of waiting. We have to wait for Dr. to arrive in morning for results of surgery. Very sad and shaken up family not knowing whether relative is ok or not. There's no excuse not to provide update.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Jeb Brown by my gynecologist. He was wonderful. I had endometrial cancer. I was seen the next day and had surgery a week later. He is so kind and caring. He apologizes during the exam for making you uncomfortable. He truly cares. His RN Lisa, was very responsive to all of my questions and concerns. I highly recommend Dr. Jeb Brown to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2013

I was referred to Dr. Brown after being diagnosed with uterine cancer. The surgery and hospital procedure went very well, however I found it very unusal that Dr Brown never paid a visit during my post op stay in the hospital. The medical office is very busy and there's always a long wait including 2 hours on my last visit. Dr Brown gives the impression he's pressed for time and does not provide much of a detailed answer to my questions. He was quick to defend himself when I asked about my ongoing post op pain by stating that "he didn't operate in the questioned area". I ended up taking my complaint to my Internist who ordered some tests.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2012

Dr Brown is an outstanding physician. I have been a patient of Dr Brown's for over 10 years and he is intellegent, talented and very caring. His office staff is friendly and efficient. The entire organization including physicians treat eveyone with dignity and respect. I highly recommend Dr. Brown.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2011

Misdiagnosed me! Very short answers to any questions I had pre surgery. Very abrupt bedside manner when I was in the hospital. After surgery, I had complications (infection) for which his office would not schedule an appointment for follow up. Ended up seeing other Dr's for the problems. Office staff did seem overworked which might be part of the problem.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2011

Dr. John V. Brown's Credentials

• University Of Kansas School Of Medicine (Grad. 1984)