Ratings for Dr. Bernard D. Raxlen

Dr. Raxlen is a kind, conscientious, knowledgeable lyme doctor. He has helped me for numerous years. His goal is for you to achieve good health. He will do what is necessary for you to get better. I have never met anyone that knows more about bebesia then he does. It was a blessing to cross paths with Dr. Raxlin. Before him, I did not know it was possible to see the light at the end of a very long dark tunnel. With time and Dr. Raxlin's help you will get better. Everyone can get better but you need to find a doctor like Dr. Raxlin so that it is possible.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

I have read some of the negative comments on this site and I am not sure if these people are seeing the same physician I am. When I listened with a group of friends to another friend with late-stage Lyme disease, one of the women kept saying, "Hey, YOU do that". I sent a message to another friend who is his patient, and she said that because I was hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire prior to any symptoms and I had a remarkable similarity with them, she thought I really needed to be checked out. For six years I had physicians trying to convince me that it was all in my head, or that I had some mysterious genetic illness (they couldn't tell me WHICH one) and I was going to die, or that I just needed to come to peace with the fact that I was going to be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. My veterinarian here in my home town called the neurologist I was seeing, told him that I needed to be tested for Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, and he was ignored. I called him after getting my results from Dr. Raxlen and said, "I found a Lyme Literate MD and you were spot-on." I had a port-catheter inserted at MY request, and it was done by a thoracic surgeon at a hospital in my home city. I am in healthcare and I knew the risks vs. benefits from all of the treatment types that are available. Within three months, I was began to walk again with an assistive device. Now I don't even need that. If there is *anything* negative to say it is that because they are so busy, it is sometimes difficult to reach them. It may require an extra call. He promptly returns emergent calls after hours, and he is fully invested in his patients, listens and when he wants clarification repeats back what you have said. I am treated with respect -- both as a patient and as a healthcare provider, and I feel absolutely "heard" after a visit with him. With regard to his character, I don't know of a more humble physician. Each time I speak with him, I thank him for saving my life -- twice. He tells me that he didn't save my life, my determination did. He understands my sassiness, my point-blank "give it to me exactly how it is and what we need to do to remedy it" approach, and not once has he spoken to me with anything near a condescending tone. I have recommended him to people who are suspect that they may have Lyme and other tick borne diseases, and I will continue to do so. He has my utmost respect in his role as a physician and also someone who as someone who genuinely cares.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

Dr Raxlen, is the doctor you DON'T want to see if you have lyme and co infections. He is arrogant full of himself and I found him dangerous. I went to him thinking he is a specialist caring LLMD and did not trust my intuition when I first met him. He came in and very arrogantly said patient before the dr. good. He has his staff call you in, he did not get up from his desk at all. In fact he asked me if I can give these papers to his front workers. He did a lot of blood work and never really let me know what was going on. Specially at that time I was not aware of things to look for. He said he thinks I have lyme and possibly bartonella and babesia. He put me on a cocktail of three antibiotics which caused a lot of stomach issues right away. All night I was throwing up and with stomach pain, I emailed him as he said he responds to all his emails quickly. The next day in the morning I didn't know what to do so I continued with meds. It wasn't until the afternoon that he emailed me to stop and restart in 2 days. I continued to get sicker and called his office after sending email and no responses. I was bed bound, so decided to make an phone appointment because of this. The day of the appointment I was anxiously waiting for 2-3 hours. When he finally called there so much background noise that it was hard to hear or have conversation. after I told him what I felt he said you can't be toxic yet? he told me to order toxeze, when I called his office they wanted to know capsules or liquid? How should I know? His office wanted to charge me $600 for this 15 min phone call, I said what? your pricing says phone conferences are $300. They said sorry but this was your 2nd appointment which is $600. I could not believe this. On my third appointment, I told him I am still not feeling well and I have lost 15 pounds, he said you can never be to rich or too think. He convinced my daughter and I that I was getting better, and said you are not too bad you wouldn't mind staying like this ? I said yes I would why do you think I am here. I was ready to leave but my daughter convinced me that he was one of the best in NYC and had to give it more time. Five months later, I new I wasn't being treated for babesia or bartonella which he had suspected I had. So I decided to retest. Even dough I felt so sick I went to his office to get tested. A couple of days later they called me and said they had sent the blood in an expired tube and I should come in to get retested. I told them do they realize how sick I am and how difficult it is to do this. Regardless I wanted to know so I went to get retested. When I was there I said the lab is not going to double charge me are they? they said no. Two weeks later I got statement where I was double charged. I called the office and they said they would take care of it and never did. I was feeling worse and worse and he had never had bloodworm done from the beginning of treatment. That is when I decided NO MORE and canceled my appointment. They did not care as he prefers new patients to continue collecting huge fees. He is arrogant and at least I felt he had no respect for his patients.He is in his late 70"s so you can tell he no longer cares and just wants the money. He should just retire. His office was just as bad.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

I visited Dr. Raxlen for Lyme disease, after seeing two other doctors who had no idea how to treat Lyme. I almost canceled my appointment do to the high fee. However, I now realize how much a Lyme specialist has to know about every system of the body, all the possible co-infections, all the different medicine and herbal choices, and how complex this disease is. Dr. Raxlen is an incredibly kind, caring and intelligent man. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. It was like spending an afternoon with your favorite mentor or uncle. He spent two hours really listening to me and is excellent at putting all the pieces of your health together. He didn't push any protocol on me that I didn't think I can handle. The office is also wonderful. They are so busy and the phones never stop ringing yet they are so patient and kind. Niyali took the time to answer all my followup calls, check with the doctor and get back to me the very same day. I love Dr. Raxlen's office. If you have Lyme disease please try and get a visit with him.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

Listens, he is very knowledgable and I have been getting better it's only been 10 weeks... Highly recommended

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

Rip off this guy is s character actor he pushes ports through his Dr in Connecticut makes a killing off this and also charges sick innocent people 500 $ a phone call . Go to another Lyme literate Raxlen will take you to the cleaners .. He is living the high life off sick people . He knows a lot but charges for the info . Sad

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

Dr. Raxlan saved my life. He has become like a friend. I have no idea where I would be without him

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Dr. Raxlen is amazing and do is the office workers. I was sick my entire life and after meeting him not only do I feel better, I have piece of mind. He takes his time in office and on the phone and truly gives you a feeling that he cares on a deeper level than any DR would. Since seeing him I have recommended everyone to go see him!

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Lyme disease is such a precarious illness that it is difficult to know what doctor to go to and who to trust. I am fortunate that I found dr. Raxlen. He is able to put pieces of the complicated Lyme puzzle together in a way that benefits each individual patient. He is watchful and attentive and carefully weighs out which direction of treatment should be pursued. While aggressive Lyme treatment is controversial, the treatment I received from Dr. Raxlen saved me from becoming disabled or worse. I also like that he has a good sense of humor and relates to people on a very humanistic level. I've been to many top doctors for Lyme and he is the best! I am truly grateful to him. If you are considering treatment go to dr. Raxlen.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

Dr Raxlen saved my life. After seeing Boston Doctors, I was sent to a psychologist for emotional issues. The psychologist diagnosed the Lyme. Dr Raxlen treated me off the Igenix test. While I am not fully recovered, at least I have a reasonable life. Otherwise, I would be hospitalized because I couldn't find my way home. Thank you Dr Raxlen for giving me back to my wife and kids!

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015