Ratings for Dr. Jonathan C. Albeg

The reviewer who said that Dr. Albeg's problem is that he doesn't listen only had the half of it. He doesn't look either. I came in mid week with terrible back pain, so bad that I'd missed work for 2 days. I thought I had just overdone it on the weekend with too much hill climbing on my bike but I had shingles. At the time I had no idea what shingles was and Dr. Albeg never even bothered to examine me so my shirt stayed on and it wasn't until a friend came by late on Friday and recognized the semi circular rash on my torso that I first heard about shingles. She immediately took me to urgent care that very evening and sure enough I was diagnosed with shingles. Naturally by then it was too late for the antiviral to work and now, 7 years later, I still have permanent nerve pain on my right side. Suffice it to say I will never forget or forgive Dr. Albeg and wouldn't refer my worst enemy to his blithe care.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2015

I just moved to the Bay Area and was looking for a PCP, and Dr. Albeg was one of the few PAMF PCPs who was accepting new patients. Although he got mixed reviews on the MD ratings sites (including this one), his philosophy of care - healthy eating, exercise, minimal medication - resonated with me so I decided to try him anyway. 10 min. into the checkup it was obvious it wasn't going to work out. Other reviewers said he's a bad listener, but that's not true: he's a non-listener. He seemed to have a fixed agenda - get more exercise, eat healthier, avoid medication - which is his answer to all problems, even for people like myself who already do all three. He was not interested in hearing what I said and repeatedly walked over me conversationally to the extent that I had trouble getting a word in edgewise. Typical exchange (condensed): Me: I have a family history of diabetes and am pre-diabetic, even though I get a ton of exercise, am skinny and watch my diet. Dr A: The treatment for diabetes is the same whether you're non-diabetic, pre-diabetic or full diabetic. If you already get lots of exercise you need to change the mix and lift more weights, use resistance training so the muscles will burn off the sugar. [etc.] Me: But if you're full diabetic... Dr A: No no no no no no! ... I kid you not, he actually said that, nonononono, without even hearing my question. I was going to say "but if you're full diabetic there ARE other treatments available, eg. insulin", which I think is a reasonable statement, but he didn't even give me a chance to say that. At that point I realized the relationship wasn't going to work, told him so, apologized for wasting his time and left. Might be a good doctor for out-of-shape, unhealthy lifestyle types who need someone to force them to change their diet and get some exercise, but not for someone who wants a meaningful two-way conversation about their health and an evaluation of various treatment options.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015

I wont go back to him. he should be more humble. he thinks he is not very knowledgeable as he thinks.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2011

Dr. Albeg has been my doctor for about Five years now. He is always very professional and friendly. After bragging about him to my wife, now he's her doctor too. We are both very happy with the care we get from him. The person that wrote the nasty review above must be a miserable person. You know the type, always complaining and is never satisfied. Glad I'm not married to her.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2011

Poor diagnostician, poor listener. Glip and in great a hurry. Seemed jaded by his work environment with a lousy attitude. The kind of Doctor you want to avoid. Nice for him that he has friends to write nice reviews. Won't be going back to this Doctor.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2010

I have read the other reviews and am happy that these individuals had such great experiences. Wish I could say the same. This doctor announced at the start of my yearly physical that he only had 10 minutes. I barely scratched the surface with my list of questions. As a result, some mistakes were made with tests and prescriptions which should have been avoided. I felt completely demoralized and realized that this Doctor cared very little about me as a patient. Perhaps the P.A. Foundation is moving towards more of a Kaiser model, rushing patients in and out, allowing no time to properly tend to the person's health issues.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2006

Excellent listener with insightful recommendations. He always provides his rationale for the course of treatment, as well as options available

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

He is very good...very helpful and well versed in his field.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2005

great guy

flag | Submitted January 20, 2005

Dr. Albeg is always very helpful and communicative. He always explains things well.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2005

Dr. Jonathan C. Albeg's Credentials

• Univ Of Miami Sch Of Med, Miami Fl 33101 (Grad. 1995)

• Bcbs Illinois