Dr. Chris Cavacuiti's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Academic/Professional degrees: BA, MD, CCFP, MHSc, (C)ASAM, FCFP, (D)ABAM, CCSAM, DFASAM Dr. Chris Cavacuiti has an extensive background in addiction medicine and inner city health. Before founding the TrueNorth Medical Centres in 2013, he worked as a staff physician at St. Michael’s Hospital, the Casey House Aids Hospice and the Seaton House homeless shelter. His clinical, research and advocacy work focuses on addiction medicine, LGBT issues, HIV/AIDS, and Immigrant/Refugee Health. Dr. Chris Cavacuiti is also on the teaching and research faculty of the Department of Family and Community Medicine (DFCM) at the University of Toronto. Dr. Cavacuiti has received his Focused Practice Designation in Addiction Medicine. He was the lead editor of the 2012 American Society of Addiction Medicine textbook entitled Principles of Addiction Medicine: The Essentials (http://www.asam.org/publications/principles-the-essentials).
- University of Toronto (Grad. 1995)
- University of British Columbia (Grad. 1997)
Areas of Expertise
- Drug addiction
Awards & Recognitions
- 2001- Department of Family and Community Medicine Undergraduate Education Program Teaching Award.
- 2008- Teaching in Family Medicine Clerkship Award DFCM. University of Toronto.
- 2013- Role Modeling Clinical Excellence Award DFCM. Post Graduate Education Program Award
Publications & Research
- Managing opioid dependence. Comparing buprenorphine with methadone.
- Suboxone: A Handbook for Patients
- Principles of Addiction Medicine: The Essentials
- You, me...and drugs--a love triangle: important considerations when both members of a couple are abusing substances.
- The use of electronic medical records for homeless outreach.