Ratings for Dr. Malini Varshney

I had such a terrible experience with my daughter. Someone took her into a room and did some tests was never informed what kind of test (my husband and I do not have have vision issues so we are not knowledgeable with the procedure or testing) then was told "Mommy, you have a prescription" I was completely surprised as my daughter didn't have one before and especially since she is not telling me why! I asked her what she meant and she said she has a minor one and the doctor will look further and say if she actually needs it at this point I am so frustrated! That doesn't even make sense! Seen Dr. Varshney - she was okay but didn't find her great with my child as our last optometrists. Dr. Varshney also had her dogs there would pick them up pet them and didn't see her wash her hands are all which was very disturbing and unprofessional. Would not recommend!

Submitted October 4, 2016

Dr. Malini Varshney's response
Please realize that the unfortunate experience that this patient had was NOT at my office as I have NEVER brought my dog to my office - this is a medical centre which does not even allow pets on premesis. (& referring to several dogs - I only have 1 dog).

Submitted July 12, 2017

Deplorable service. Paid $190 for my eye test and contact fitting and now have NO contact lens despite paying her fee for the trial. Given contacts that hurt my eyes and was told by Christina I had to leave them in for 10 minutes (despite them burning). Given the next pair and left office with it being blurry. Called again to find out my script and "Office manager" Christina lied over te phone and gave me wrong script when I asked what was currently in my eyes. Called to follow up with Dr. Varshney and now refusing to book appt. Definitely NOT worth the attitude. Told that she was "the office manager and Dr. VARSHNEY told her to deal with me." Didn't realize such a nice dr. Approved of malpractice by deliberately giving wrong scripts over the phone. This is in addition to waiting a month for the contacts I do have and nearly 2 weeks for the glasses my son had to get (because they didn't think to ask if they were on backorder.) Will be filing a complaint formally as well.

Submitted June 14, 2016

Dr. Malini Varshney's response
Please realize that this also is not my office - I have never had a staff named Christina & I DO NOT dispense glasses either (which apparently was delayed for her son). Patients are mistakening me for another office.

Submitted July 12, 2017

Referred to this office by my family doctor. I expected testing to be performed, as I had moved into the area and had previously been under the care of another eye specialist. \i was surprised at the "extra" charges, as my previous specialist had managed to treat me for several years without additional charges. I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT SOME OF THE 5 STAR COMMENTS SEEM TO DIRECTLY ADDRESS THE PREVIOUS NEGATIVE COMMENTS...ANYONE ELSE SEE A PATTERN? JUST ASKING

flag | Submitted December 20, 2015

She is never on time. Staff is rude and disrespectful.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2015

I had started getting double vision & dizziness as an adult because of a certain medical condition & was told by my GP to see an optometrist & then my regular optometrist told me that nothing could be done. Then i was referred to Dr. Varshney by my friend who had the same problem with her son & did VISUAL THERAPY eye exercises. Although Dr. Varshney did tell me that childrens eye muscles are more mallable & easier to improve with visual therapy, adults have been successfull as well so i went on her program. Thanks to her - It was great! It took me around 3 months of computer based eye exercises & focussing lenses and red-blue glasses as she guided me through it online - no more double vision! I am very disappointed in my original optometrist who could have at least referred me to someone else if he didn't do visual therapy himself.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

Dr. Malini Varshney's response
Thanks for sharing this positive experience. Although I have patients that tell me this often wrt Vision Therapy, people do not take the time to report them.

Submitted July 12, 2017

My daughter had been given glasses from the last optometrist last year that did not improve her vision nor headaches. Dr. Varshney informed me that there was not much prescription in the glasses and she did extra tests (Visograph) that diagnosed focussing problems & eye misalignments. We did her visual therapy program daily on our home computer for a few months & now my daughter has no more headaches & above grade level in reading compared to before was below grade level. I am extremely impressed. Nothing is free so I don't know why people complain about costs. It was around $700 & I actually heard other optometrists charge few thousand for visual therapy, & most optometrists don't even do visual therapy because it is more time consuming than selling glasses I guess.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2015

Submitted July 12, 2017

This "doctor" is a scam artist. Told me I had to buy a special program to strengthen my eye sight.. So I did... I paid $695!! She told me if I paid cash it would be cheaper. I don't carry $695 cash on me so I paid with credit. I later went to another optometrist 6 months later and he told me that my vision was great! Stay swag from her! She just wants your money!!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2015

Dr. Malini Varshney's response
Vision therapy is very successful but also subjective. It is not mainstream & many optometrists may not screen for early signs of eye mis-alignment & focussing insufficiencies & do not get involved with the therapy itself. In many cases if identified early, we can prevent eye turns & increase learning efficiencies. It is based on the principals of 'physiotherapy for the eye muscles'. There are only a few optometrists in Burlington that are involved in Vision Therapy, myself being one of them. With this therapy, I have several patients that I have improved their focussing skills in order to meet criteria for tests such as visual requirements for Police Officers & Pilots. I do devote a lot of time on CONCUSSION therapy also which involves Vision training & get several referals from Neurologists. Please feel free to research this to realize the advantages.

Submitted July 12, 2017

Dr Varshney saved my eyesight in my left eye. I came in wondering why I had floaters and what seemed like jellyfish in my vision. Her staff rushed me in and after she saw me she literally ran to her office. Staff came to check on me and after a while she told me I was to go immediately to meet a surgeon she had got hold of on his cell phone. I would have been blind in that eye if I had not been able to get the emergency surgery from Dr. Chaudhary who it turns out teaches out of Machete and St. Josephs. I ended up with two surgeries as my condition was so severe and I can never thank Dr. Malini Varshney enough for saving my eyesight that day.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

I'm going to be switching optometrists at this point - something about the constant testing for "potential" problems doesn't sit well with me, and in reading the other reviews, this seems to be a pattern. I think she does more "additional testing" than is really necessary.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

Said I had risks for glaucoma, did futher testing quite a few times and then said everything was fine - an excuse to bill OHIP? Starting to think so... 10 years or so later, again said I had a risk of glaucoma and to come in for further tests, she also said I had risks of macular degeneration and retinal detachment. I wasn't happy with not seeing a specialist, so I went to another optometrist who referred me to an opthamologist and he did extensive testing and found NO problems that Dr. Varshney found. So now I really think I won't go there again, either she doesn't know how to diagnose based on the result of her equipment, or she likes to pretend there's a problem, so you can come in more frequently, she can bill OHIP and get more money. After this happening twice, I'm inclined to think she's out for the money.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

Dr. Malini Varshney's response
As indicated on my office descriptions, my emphasis is on preventative eye health. I do take the text book approach based on medical protocols, such as any patient that has eye pressures of above 20 must have a peripheral vision screening evaluation ($25 extra), a minimal cost considering the useful information. If the results indicate that the peripheral vision is normal, then treatment is not initiated, but needs to be monitored closely. This may continue for many years at borderline levels, or it may be in 6 months that progression occurs at which time I do initiate treatment. This is unpredictable. Just as many medical tests that are recommended at certain intervals based on medical risks (borderline blood pressure/blood sugars, mammary tests, colonoscopy, etc). Similarly if I see irregularities on the retina I will make sure to inform the patient as this 'predisposes' them to visual complications - this allows patients to make informed choices; many optometrists may not take the time to educate patients. This is the opposite approach with specialists. They generally see patients at an advanced stage of pathology that requires surgery etc & quite quickly dismiss patients that are seeing them prematurely (as not needed to be referred in the 1st place). Clearly if a patient needs to be referred then I would do a referral. Although not in this case, most patients appear to be very impressed with seeing pictures & scans & VF showing them any abnormalities that are starting to develop & be able to decide if they want to be pro-active or not. In fact I have many patients chose to book with me because of this extensive service. I consider this my main purpose, as an eye exam is not merely writing out a prescription to get glasses.

Dr. Malini Varshney's Credentials