Ratings for Dr. Melvyn Chu

It really depends on how long you have known Dr. Chu and how he sees you as a person and his mood that day. Staff are ok, they are not too mean. As he is getting older, perhaps he is not as invested in his job has he used to be. Most of the time, when he is not sure, he will refer you to a specialist. When he is in a good mood, he will give you the prescription but if he isn't, he might ask you to come back in a few days to check up again. Really depends on his mood. He is not a bad doctor though, and one of the few doctors that can still speak fluent Cantonese.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

Been with him for over 10 years due to my family has been with him. The results on his reviews are mixed and I believe just like every professional, he will treat different people differently. From my interactions with him, I find his knowledge really poor as I always ask him questions and he tries to answer them as fast as possible with the most generic answers. There are times I go and he literally rushes me out, with no one else waiting after me. One time he got angry or had some kind of fit when I asked him about an allergy reaction from a trip. He questioned why I didn't go to him right after. Rather than caring what pains or issues I had with it, he was adamant that he can not diagnose anything because I didn't "see him" immediately after I came back from the trip. Seriously? He literally didn't give a shit about my issue. The only 2 reasons I still go to him is: 1. He writes pretty much any prescription you ask. 2, He has a lot of my medical history and my families medical history, which would be a hassle makes it a hassle to switch family doctors. Especially one that can speak Cantonese.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2015

everything is ok to him, even thing that does not seem normal to patients. needs to beg for a referral to specialist.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2012

flag | Submitted June 19, 2012

Some truth to all the comments I have seen on this web page. I switch from another doctor several years ago because I am getting some text book care-that is not very effective. I did ask Dr. Chu to give me proper meidcal check ups every year and work on the findings. I did my best to understand his diagnosis and read up on what I don't understand. Then I implemented a routine for diet and exercise and adjust that routine after each annual check up. He also recommended me to see a specialist for more detailed analysis of the same medial reports. It has been a few years now, the recent reports indicated everything is within target for a normal healthy person. I think this is a success story on working with your doctor. The patient's effort is just as important as the docotr's ability.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2012

I like Dr. Chu. He's always patient and nice to me. I have seeing him for more than 6 years and I believe he is a good docotor.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2009

After seeing Dr. Chu for 20 years, I'm amazed by any negative comments posted. This doctor is thorough, dedicated, scientific and intelligent. I recommend him to everyone! I now live in Calgary, but schedule appointments with Melvyn Chu every time I visit Toronto.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2009

Dr. Chu is a great family doctor. He provides useful information in details if you ask for it. His professional mannars also help me and my family a lot in differnt medical stages. To me, he is patient and warm-heart ... which is the two main factors that a good doctor should have. I believe Mr. Chu is a great manner family doctor.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2009

Very bad manner, impatient and not professional

flag | Submitted December 28, 2008

Communications is a 2-way street. As a patient, you should tell your doctor your problems, and try to understand what your doctor says. Dr. Chu is very thorough and attention to details. The waiting time at the office could be long due to his thoroughness. I had longer waiting time at other Doctor's office. There is a shortage of family doctors in this province. It's not easy to get a family doctor that can speak your language.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2008