Ratings for Dr. Stephen Whittaker

he is too busy to care. when he first came to Ottawa he had many ideas about how he would practice and he now cares more about the money each patient can bring in than the patient themselves

flag | Submitted July 17, 2018

Dr Whittaker is a great doctor but his receptionist is awful. Ginger was really great and I understand he is a busy man but wow this new receptionist is so unhelpful that it's become almost impossible to see Dr Whittaker.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

How extremely sad to have to leave your Doctor after almost 12 years plus because of a receptionist who is so uncompassionate, so uncaring, and and so unkind to his patients who have had such excellent care in the past by Ginger. This is deplorable and unacceptable and she should not be in working the health field or with patients with this type of attitude. Urgent care does not mean being sent to the ER every time . Follow up with tests does not mean don't call us we will call you if we feel like it! There are a number of excellent Doctors who have amazing staff and fortunately we have found one who truly cares about your health and well being. We no longer have to put up with this terrible and unacceptable behavior.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2018

extremely knowledgeable, very helpful, well organized, enjoys his profession, greets you with a smile, does not hesitate to refer you to the relevant specialist

flag | Submitted April 4, 2018

We have been with this Dr. since his practice opened. He took on too many patients & now has no time for us...his receptionist has the personality of a rock & doesn't know the meaning of the word polite. It's a shame, he is a good doctor, but if you can't see him when your sick, it's time to move on. Sad that his practice has become like this, not even sure he realizes what his patients think about how it has changed. They need Ginger back, then maybe things would improve.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

Long time patient but nearly impossible to get an appointment to see him now...practice is in decline & the desk staff are brutal.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

NEVER AVAILABLE. NEVER. Been his patient for 10 years but can never see me even if I am sick as heck, I will get an appointment for "after a month" MINIMUM. I end up at walk in clinics all the time due to the fact that my family doctor never has the time for me. DONT TAKE PATIENTS IF YOU DONT HAVE THE SPACE OR TIME!!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

I love Dr. Whittaker! I’ve been going to him since soon after he opened. He’s very knowledgeable and helpful. His newer secretary on the other hand, is horrible to deal with. She is so unhelpful and rude. You can’t get any emergency appointments, even for prescriptions and she just tells you to go to a walk-in if you don’t want to wait 3 months. You’re also supposed to magically know how long the wait time is for an appointment and plan ahead. His old secretary, Ginger, was absolutely wonderful. Such a shame. Makes me dread calling to even make an appointment.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

Dr. Whittaker is a very good and caring doctor. Sadly though, his staff are not. The new receptionist is very rigid about the "rules", and she is controlling and rude. She is extremely unhelpful ESPECIALLY if it is urgent. She just repeats the rules and tells you, "No, he cannot see you, but I can make an appointment for you in three months." !! I need a doctor who I can see in urgent situations but here you have to call at 9 am on urgent care day and call and call and keep calling/redialing hoping not to hear the busy tone and that someone will answer! (It gets stressful because you have a very short timeline to get through to reception. By 9:05 it's all over. You either are the lucky one who got the appointment or you're going to the walk-in clinic! His former receptionist Ginger was always flexible with me and tried to get done what I needed promptly and politely. I don't like going to his office because of the new receptionist but I do think Dr. Whittaker himself is excellent. I don't know if he is aware of how difficult his staff can be to work with.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

I have been with Dr. Whittaker since he first opened his practice, I absolutely love him and his staff. He's very attentive to his patients he has never been in a rush with me. If I need medical tests or imaging and there's a long wait he will call and get you pushed up further. He always goes through his previous notes to get caught up on how things have turned out. The second he gets an alert back on test results he calls you right away. Is he a busy doctor yes he is very busy I do not agree with any of the comments that he's in this for money that is completely false! Most Dr's offices have the same policy about refilling meds ask when you see him he will give you a prescription good for the three months unless it's a level one drug like opioids by law he has to see you in person to get those meds filled. There are plenty of times I don't realize I have no refills left and the pharmacy will fax it to him and he will fax it back.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017