Ratings for Dr. Richard Whelan

Dr. Whelan. Literally saved my in-law's life and now years later he sadly is sadly asked to restore my wife to a normal life. Thankful he's available.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2015

I first reviewed Dr. Whelan in 2008. I can only say that he is brilliant! He recently performed my ileostomy reversal flawlessly. I was back to having normal BMs in a week after my surgery and up and around in a day! By reading his operative notes about my surgery, I know that he absolutely knows what he is doing. His level of written detail demonstrates his thinking and expertise in colorectal surgery. I can confidently say that the two other "surgeons" who operated on me previously can't hold a candle to Dr. Whelan. He lives his work and his passion for it shows. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my surgery and how wonderful his staff was with all the paperwork. His nursing assistant is beyond amazing too!

flag | Submitted July 1, 2014

My husband had his guardian Angel working for him when we found Dr Richard Whelan for his Colon Surgery Experienced intelligent, wonderful bed side manor. His after surgery care was the best and we would highly recommend him to any one that needs Colon Surgery

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

Very touchy operation.... other Dr's. said I would probably wind up with a colostomy bag.. but.. came through it without one thanks to his precise sewing ability. MANY THANKS

flag | Submitted April 20, 2014

Went to Dr. Whelan with my husband for a second opinion after much research on the internet. Was extremely pleased with him! He is a brilliant man with a great bedside manner. He thoroughly explained everything to us. Very knowledgeable and skilled. So glad to find him!!!! Great doctor.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2013

brilliant man. great surgeon. saved my life too. he really is passionate and has a phenomenal experience.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2011

great doctor,very knowledgeable and a good person. saved my life!

flag | Submitted July 14, 2010

I believe that this Dr. is responsible for my mother's death. My mother went in for a "routine" lap colon surgery for early stage colon cancer. she was 2 weeks in the hospital w/ complications even though it was supposed to be 2-3 day hospital stay .after 2 weeks she was sent home. had one follow up visit in a month and was seen by dr.'s associate. no other follow up by surgeon. she never felt right after that surgery and chemo was recommended b/c 2 of 20 lymph nodes were affected. 6 mo later she was rushed by ambul to hospital where they had to do emergency surgerybecause they said x ray showed puncture in the intestine. when they opened her up they found all sorts of infection/ adhesions from the original surgery - they did massive surgery and she wound up w/ 2 ostomys. she was in intensive care 3 months - came home w an ostomy bag. could not do chemo b/c of her weakened condition. the cancer spread and she died 3 months later almost 1 year to day of her original surgery.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2009

Really The Best Doctor in USA.I met six top surgeons in New York. But meeting with Dr. R.Whelan left me absolutely reassured in my diagnose. I had a privilege to meet Dr.R.Whelan for two appoitments. Besides his professional knowledge and skill,dedication,it was delightful surprise to meet in New York's medical field a smart,fine intellectuality with excellent so-called "bedside manners",respect to patient.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2008

A dedicated surgeon, a leader in the colorectal surgery field, a knowledgeable and interested doctor with excellent skills. Problem: Does not take most insurances and is not competitive with his fees. Otherwise, I would choose him in an instant. High praise from staff and a neighbor of mine who had a reverse colostomy. I interviewed seven colorectal surgeons and Drs. Whelan and Milsom are the tops in among the group in technique, understanding, and professionalism.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2008

Dr. Richard Whelan's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1985)

Workers Comp