Ratings for Dr. Howard A. Sherman

I feel this business consistently tries to overcharge, indulge in balance billing, and render services you never asked for.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

The glasses I purchased were ill fitting and the doctor did not take my concerns seriously. I was so unhappy that I decided to go elsewhere and just purchase a whole new pair . I was willing to bear the extra expense because I could not wear the glasses the way he adjusted them. The new place I went to was able to fix them without charging me a penny. I do not understand why Dr.Sherman could not do this. The office was messy and he never wore gloves during treatment nor did I see him sterilize or sanitize anything between patients.I am very sorry I allowed him to treat me at all.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Went here since it is the only eye doctor that can see my son (5yrs old) in the area that takes my insurance. Dr. Sherman was good but I think his equipment are fairly antiquated. There was a part of the test that he was asking my son to tell him what is in a picture (which was a telephone styled from years ago with rotary dial) and he could not answer this is because my son has not seen a telephone like that in his life!

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

I would like to share my experience as Dr. Sherman's patient over the span of 3 decades. I know that I am in a unique position to bear witness to both the professional rigor and dedication with which Dr. Sherman practices his craft, as well as his exceptional “people skills”-- and immeasurable patience – (a rare combination in any branch of the medical profession). I can make this claim because, not too long ago, I came across an old prescription, dated 1985(!), written by a young, newly-minted optometrist who was at the beginning of his career. During my first office visit, it was immediately apparent that here was a highly-skilled medical professional who took my issues and concerns seriously and who had an understanding of vision that was different from every other optometrist I had seen. For years I had felt great discomfort while reading. Every optometrist prior to Dr. Sherman had told me that with my new lenses, my vision was 20/20 – the so-called “golden standard” – so everything should be fine. – But everything was not fine. But Dr. Sherman specializes in what is called vision therapy which asserts that the ability to “see” – whether it be words on the printed page, the blackboard or computer screen, or on the athletic playing field - involves much more than “20/20 eyesight”. Why had no other optometrist ever told me that before? Vision therapy (VT), I learned from Dr. Sherman, provides the tools to develop this complex network of skills. This approach to vision is Dr. Sherman’s great passion. Over the years, I have seen the Doc doing what he loves best: providing VT to children who are struggling in school and are fortunate to have parents who understand that a key underlying factor is often the lack of specific visual skills. His frequent smile and twinkle create an instant rapport and his walls are filled with letters from grateful children and their parents. Dr. Sherman eventually relocated to his present practice in Highland Park, NJ and my own personal destiny would take me both north and south of the New Jersey Turnpike. There were many times in my travels that I would get off at Exit 9 and head toward Highland Park for an eye exam, having been disappointed by the local so-called specialists where I was living at the time. I know that I am - by far - not the easiest patient. So finding a gifted and caring doctor like Dr. Sherman is worth going the distance. Two specific examples come to mind: During one visit, as my exam was drawing to an end, I asked Dr. Sherman if I could see a sample text and read it with my new reading prescription. When I told the Doc that the text was too small, he retested me and came up with the same numbers. Most doctors would have ended it with that. But for this doctor, this was a problem to be solved. We did more tests, until finally Dr. Sherman gave me a book to read. It was then that he realized that the prescription number his testing had indicated was based on standard test procedures. It wasn’t until Dr. Sherman actually observed the way I held the book that he determined that this “standard assumption” needed to be modified. Mystery solved - and my prescription was rewritten to accommodate the actual person (me!), as opposed to standardized formula. A second example: As we all have experienced, one of the standard tools in determining a person’s visual acuity is to show a patient two different lenses of similar strengths and ask, “Which is clearer: A or B?” This process is repeated multiple times as the doctor runs through a sequence of lenses. -- I can’t tell you how many times I would say to Dr. Sherman, “Would you show me the other one again, Doc?” Any other doctor would have expressed frustration at my inability to “get it” the first time around and my need to compare again and again. But Dr. Sherman responded with infinite patience. It was eminently clear that he put the needs of his patient above all us. I feel fortunate to have found an optometrist that has the rare capacity to really listen to – and take seriously – what his patient is saying. And I am grateful to have the opportunity to share my three decades of experience as a patient of this special man of vision!

flag | Submitted March 8, 2015

I went to Dr. Sherman for new contact lenses. I have worn contacts (from other eye doctors) for many years without any discomfort. However, every pair that Dr. Sherman gave me were very uncomfortable. He kept on having me come back for "CL Fittings" (and charged me each time). He still has not given me a comfortable pair of lenses. Too add insult to injury, he got me to try his vision therapy. During vision therapy sessions, Dr. Sherman works really slowly. He wastes your time and money. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars at Dr. Sherman's office with no results to show for it. I recommend you find a better eye doctor.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Sherman for over 15 years. I keep going back to him because he is thorough, knowledgeable and caring. He offers both traditional and holistic approaches, depending on the patient's needs. When I had a scare concerning a possible retinal detachment, he saw me after hours and after ascertaining that everything was OK, he was able to reassure me and told me what to look for in the future. I trust him as my family's eye care doctor for myself, my wife and daughters, and my mother. I recommend him with no hesitation whatsoever.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2013

He is after your money, he charged $40 for a simple measurement called the PD which is the distance between pupils. It is for the size of your glasses. Eye doctors include this as part of the eye exam but this guy asked for $40! I said I will take the measurement myself, It literaly takes 5 seconds to measure! SCAM!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2012

I went for a eye checkup and the diopter provided by doctor was not right. I used to have headache and stopped going afterwards. I went to NY and it was much more better. I believe Dr. Sherman is a Ph.D. and not a doctor; not sure but please double check.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2010

I went to this doc after seeing such good reviews and believe that he knows his stuff. However, his office is after your money. They did sneaky things with my bills and lied to me about several things which ended up costing huge amounts of money out of my pocket and they became ruthless when confronted with what they did. They simply ignore everything now that they have my money. If I could, I would have given no stars for this review but that's as low as I can go. It's unfortunate to see that a good doc has to use cheap practices like this to make money instead of his talent. Now that I think about it, during all five visits, I was told they were squeezing me in as the appts were all booked for a few weeks but when I was there I didn't see a single patient before or after my appt. May be his business is down so this is how he is compromising to make up for the lost bucks. Dr. Sherman, if you are reading this, SHAME ON YOU.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2010

What a thorough, conscientious practitioner. He was absolutely punctual and spent an entire hour with me, going over a tricky prescription and explaining to me exactly what was happening in my eyes and why. There was also no pressure to buy the glasses there, even though they do have a very lovely selection. I was encouraged to price things out and go from there. I am not sure any doctor, optometrist or otherwise, has ever been so patient and explanatory with me before!

flag | Submitted July 7, 2009

Dr. Howard A. Sherman's Credentials

• State University Of New York - State College Optometry (Grad. 1982)

• Blue Cross Of California