Ratings for Dr. Martin J. Kafina

Excellent doctor. Explained diagnosis clearly and without overreliance on technical jargon. Very practical treatment plan for severe degenerative arthritis, affecting my feet. I am very satisfied and give him high marks in all respects.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

I went to Kafina in 2011 after I found out I had (osteo) arthritis of the hip. You see, soon thereafter, a LOT of joints started bothering me. So I went to him to check out a possible SYSTEMIC condition that could relate to why I was experiencing pain in many more joints other than the one of known osteo and why would that come on so suddenly. He did some blood tests: P-ANCA, C-ANCA, ESR,CRP and anti-nuclear antibody screen in which I tested negative. Those tests are for Rheumatoid arthritis. So, that was ruled out, at the time, as cause for the multi-joint symptoms. He asked me if I wanted to have some X rays done. My reponse was that I brought some X-rays WITH ME that he could look at. I found it strange that he did not want to look at the X rays I brought with me (which were recent) yet suggested I take X rays. I declined on the basis of if a doc can't take a look at the X rays you have, who's to know if he's going to take a look at the X rays he's suggesting you take. He pressed around on some areas of my body and then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Thing is, years LATER (recently), I've found that all of my symptoms (which got way worse) are consistent with late stage (untreated) Lyme. So, I'm wondering now WHY a doc (who practices in an area with a high TICK population--Concord--) did not think to run a test for possible Lyme or tick related problem given that my complaints of constant fatique and multi joint attacks are associated with Lyme. In fact, tick related systemic infections are often misdiagnosed as Fibromyalgia. After much research, I've also found my symptoms are consistent with Calcium Pyrophosphate Disorder (CPPD). Although I'm not an MD (but was pre-med at a leading science institution), in retrospect, I'd say a more IN DEPTH rheumatology work up/exploration for complaints such as MULTI-joint pain, fatigue and a lot of other symptoms, would include, IN ADDITION to the tests that rule out rheumatoid arthritis (which he did do), would include looking for CPPD and Lyme. Basically, 'Fibromyalgia' is something they can posit when MORE conditions than Rheumatoid arthritis can be ruled out, eg. CPPD or Lyme. But when they don't go the 'extra mile' to rule things out that are ALSO consistent with the symptoms, Fibromyalgia can be a 'lazy default' for a Rheumatologist. Like it can be a 'diagnosis' for symptoms they CAN'T find any other condition that would explain the symptoms. But when they DON'T BOTHER to explore for OTHER things that COULD relate to the symptoms, a diagnosis for Fibro veers into a 'lazy default'. That said, I will give him 2 stars for doing the tests to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis. But he doesn't get the other 3 stars given he did not give tests to rule out CPPD and LYME and also declined to review the x ray I had in hand and instead suggested I take X rays.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2016

As my primary doctor, he has helped me tremendously with a health problem and found the right specialist for me. He actually, I believe, he saved my life. He works with you and listens. I highly remommend him.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2014

He gave me great hope, telling me that he was going to get to the bottom of my pain and the reasons causing it. After 3 visits , i was sitting in his office in tears, he told me " I'm frustrated, i dont know what else to tell you" and gave up on me....DONT GO TO HIM- HE GIVES UP...he is patient in the beginning then gets tired of you!!!!

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

Very detailed listens well good dr. Asks you question on what is wrong

flag | Submitted August 3, 2013

Good all-around doctor who's willing to spend time asking questions and listening.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2009

Dr. Kafina finally diagnosed the problem others missed. Wish I had gone to him first!

flag | Submitted April 24, 2008

Dr. Martin J. Kafina's Credentials

• Suny-Hlth Sci Ctr At Brooklyn, Coll Of Med, Brooklyn Ny 11203 (Grad. 1982)

Top Hospitals in Concord, MA