Ratings for Dr. Nasser Altorki

Dr. Altorki is very skilled as a surgeon. He extended my dad's life for 9 years when his esophageal cancer was advanced at the time he met him. Altorki performed a more invasive surgery, removing part of the esophagus and stomach and then re-attaching. He also removed many lymph nodes. My dad had to learn to eat smaller meals more frequently, but his cancer which was almost terminal was removed. This approach is not for all patients, but for the right one it can make all the difference. My dad ultimately passed away 9 years later from a weak heart at age 66. I suspect this was due the radiation that was required before surgery that may have weakened his heart at that time. But his longevity was much better than expected at this time. 5 year survival was expected at 5% when he was diagnosed.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

Dr. Altorki performed a successful partial lung removal on my Dad. Excellent experience and outcome and I believe Dr. Altorki made an exceptional effort to save as much lung capacity as possible. Could not ask for better care.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2014

I never wrote a review on any doctor but after reading some of the negative reviews I had to write about my experience with Dr. Altorki. After consulting with many doctors back in February 1998, someone suggested I see Dr. Altorki. I had a malignant esophageal tumor which Dr. Altorki agreed to remove and used part of my stomach to form an esphogus. I did have a reoccurrance in October of 1998 as the original tumor had broken through the lining. I had a 16 hour surgery in February and the second tumor was removed in October of 1998. He is in my opinion the best thoracic Surgeon. He is very careful, leaving nothing unturned. I am here sixteen years later and am now 77 years old, and I am able to live a normal life. Could not ask for anything more, and this is all due to the wonderful Dr. Nasser Altorki. I certainly owe him my life. L.H. 8/31/2014

flag | Submitted August 31, 2014

My mom was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and we went to him to perform an esophagectomy. The surgery was a disaster. My mom passed away and although she might have passed away anyway from the cancer itself but had she not had the surgery, her last few months on this earth might not have been so painful and full of suffering. Because of him, she suffered more than anyone (especially such a good woman as she was) should have to suffer. She could never eat again (there were constant gastro “leaks”), she couldn’t speak like she used to (he paralyzed her vocal chord) and she couldn’t breathe well (because he did some damage to her respiratory system with the surgery). She spent months in a hospital with complication after complication. Please think twice about having an esophagectomy with him or maybe with anyone for that matter because if he is supposed to be one of the best at this type of surgery then everyone who has this surgery is in trouble.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2012

Thank God for Dr. Altorki. My husband's lung cancer operation ,a partial removal of the left lung, went so well . My husband said that if he had to go through it again he would seek out Dr. Altorki wherever he was. Other doctors saw his scar and commented highly about the doctor's work.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2010

Dr. Altorki did not have any interest in trying to diagnose my issues or make any attempt to think out of the box to solve them. He clearly gave me the impression that because an official diagnosis of my pain was still missing he would not be interested in my case because performing surgery as the solution was not immediately the answer or in the cards.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2010

Dr. Altorki saved the lower lobe of my left lung because he is a master surgeon. He also operated on my right lung (cancer). He was recommended by an acquaintance whose life he also saved. He is not a "feel good" doctor but you will live far longer with him as the head of your team and you can feel good on your own time. The only drawback is the LONG office wait, but then you're going to have all that quality time with your loved ones so it's definitely worth it.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2009

I beg to differ. My operation was a disaster. 2 days into ICU the colon interposition fell apart. I spent 8 weeks in the hosp. most of which in ICU. Unable to eat and almost dying a few times. Young mother of a 5 year old at the time. Sadly THere was never a discussion as to what went wrong. Or concern for me post op , years later as things are still not great.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2008

Dr. Altorki saved my fathers life. He was diagnosed with esophageal/stomach cancer. Dr. Altorki doesnt have the most comforting personality but he is a man who made a miracle for our family! M. F. Long Beach, NY

flag | Submitted February 24, 2007

Dr. Altorki is extremely knowledgeable and dedicated to his profession. I highly recommend him. I had a very large paraesophageal hiatal hernia that 2/3 of stomach was herniated into chest and was twisted 180 degrees. Dr. Altorki and his group repaired and corrected successfully. According to the specialists in the field it was a challenging operation.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2006