Dr. Mary Kathryn Downs

Ratings for Dr. Mary Kathryn Downs

Dr. Downs misdiagnosed my condition and was arrogant in her treatment of me. When you have neurological issues you need someone who is knowledgeable. AND who cares about you. She exhibited none of these qualities. I would never recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2016

I have been a professional for 30 plus years and recently retired. With the questions and comments Dr. Mary Downs in regard to my issue the whole problem became very clear. My illness is in remission due to the diligence of the doctor. The staff is very nice as well, the office clean and you can get an appointment readliy if needed. If you read some of the comments on this site look at the dates and they may be from disgruntled patients especially considering the meds that may be prescribed can be life changing. Refer to this most recent comment, times do change if that is the case.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2013

Nice lady but as far as what she knows is questionable. I ave been seeing her for well over 4 years and I am still batteling terrible headaches without the right medicince found.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2011

I saw Dr. Downs for migraines years ago. I specifically told her that whatever she tried on my (prescription-wise) needed to be O.K. for pregnancy, as my husband and I were trying to get pregnant. After trying a few different triptans (Imitrex, Maxalt, etc....all fine for pregnancy as long as you stop taking when you find you're pregnant), she put me on a prophilactic medication, taken daily to try to prevent the migraines. I took them for a couple months before we determined it didn't work. A month later, I found out I was pregnant. After going over medications with my OB, she looked up the particular medication I had been taking and said it was a very high risk med with pregnancy!!! We ended up doing extra testing, and thank god my son was healthy...could have been so much worse! I would steer clear of her. Besides her obvious ignorance towards her patients, she is cold...almost to the point of being rude. Also condecending. Overall, horrible experience with her!

flag | Submitted June 22, 2011

Dr. Downs has been my neurologist for the past year and a half.My condition is one that requires carfull examination and to be honest over protection.She has always been very thorough with her exams and test. The best part of her practice is her P.A John he is friendly, caring, and genuinely interested in you as a patient. I continue to see her based on her thoroughness and her wonderful P.A. If you are most concerned with your physicians bedside manner she is not the person I would recommend.If you want a thorough, but serious doctor she will fulfill that duty.I do stress again that she is not people oriented doctor and as a patient that is very clear.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2011

This doctor is horrible! She is not helpful, rude and do not listen to you. It seems like she don't know what she is doing or maybe she just don't care. I so regret going to her. People told me she was the 'best' in town but she's the worst in town...

flag | Submitted October 18, 2010

My mother saw Dr. Downs for years after she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. My mom used to complain that she never listened and ignored her pain completely. My mom was in sever pain and Dr. Downs did nothing, not even prescribing medicines to relieve the pain. She has no regard for people and the few times I met her she was rude cold and very uninformative. I have heard many other bad things about her and WOULD NOT RECOMMEND her to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2009

This doctor is as weird as her brother. She is cold and no help at all. STAY AWAY from both of them!

flag | Submitted September 24, 2009

She is rude like her brother Wayne Downs. She was spacey. It seemed she didn't know what she was doing. No emotiom to anything. She miss diaignosed and like you are making up everything.I WOULDN'T RECCOMEND ANYONE TO SEE HR.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2008

She seems VERY cold. I have seen her for years and it took me sometime to understand her. She is not someone I would see for an extremely important issue. For basic follow ups she is fine but a little "out-dated". Very unsympathetic and emotionless. I did continue treatment with her because she does seem to listen on a medical level and got me in whenever I needed until appropriate treatment was achieved(medication).

flag | Submitted October 27, 2006

Dr. Mary Kathryn Downs's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston (Grad. 1987)