Ratings for Dr. Mary Frances Vanko

Dr. Vanko is very knowledgeable and experienced. I have been a patient of hers for over 12 years. I appreciate her to the point honesty and that is what I love about seeing her. She knows her limitations and is not afraid to tell you the truth. I've always had great experiences. There may be longer wait times sometimes; however, I think it's important to note that you are always seeing her. She is a private practice by herself and emergencies come up. I know I've appreciated when she has dropped what she's doing to be there for me. I personally would rather wait to see a consistent doctor then be seen by a nurse practitioner or someone unfamiliar with my history.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2017

Exam rooms are dirty, horrible bedside manner. This doc refused to give me an epidural or any other pain meds when I was only 5 cm dilated. She ran pitocin without telling me. She was in a hurry to get home and did not want to wait for my labor to progress. Worst doctor I have ever went to. She should not have a license.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

Dr. Vanko tells you like it is, and we need that non-sugar coated reality some times. Staff had everything organized. Everything went smoothly! 5 stars all around!

flag | Submitted April 11, 2016

Personable, dedicated, and I would not be welcoming my first son without her after so many losses. I trust her, she knows her stuff! She's a miracle worker to me, and even inspired me to get in touch with my faith again. Great dr. Wonderful lady!

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

What because she has her own building means she can pick which patintes she wants to truley help? I went because I have the Mirna and want it out I have been experiencing a lot of depression , sweating , mood swings exc... She told me it was because I was too skinny for the Mirna and it's probably causing to much hormones... That was it she told me I was not married and she didn't think having another baby would fix my problems! I Did not say I wanted it out to have another baby! I she ignores my pleas for help with depression all together! Instead she told me to go see a derm for my face and to go to my primary doctor to get a referral to see a head a shrink ! I ended up breaking down and crying in the hall way to get her to pay attention to me since I was the very last thing on her mind! Instead the rushed me back in the room and she explained out painful and uncomfortable it will be to try to get the Mirna out!! So she tryed to talk me out of what I was there for?? I have had two kids and have seen at least ten differnt doctors ( if you go to northshore you never get the same doc unless you wait months and even then it doesn't happen!) I do not recommend this doctor at all to any one !!!! She has been the worst doctor I have ever seen!! I don't think she should even be a doctor with those horrible bed side manners! Oh and the office!!! It's a mess! She completely ruined my day !

flag | Submitted September 22, 2014

My first gyno appointment and it honestly couldn't have been worse. My appointment was at 11 and I didn't get called until ONE. The medical assistant was wonderful and courteous. Then I waited another hour for Dr. Vanko to see me. (I'm not kidding. I spent FOUR HOURS in the office that day.) Literally the first thing she brought up was my weight and how basically no birth control is going to work for me except for Skyla. Then she proceeded to lecture me about how to eat and exercise. She seemed more about that than my birth control. She acted as if I was too fat to be sexually active and if I just lost weight all my problems would be gone. I agree, I do need to lose weight, but I KNOW I'm overweight. It's not like I don't see it. But we're here to discuss BIRTH CONTROL, not my weight. Just tell me what will work best for me if most types of birth control are weight dependent. I don't need a lecture. Then, she asked me if it was cold in the office and I said yes, and she went out in her waiting room and practically yelled at her girls "IT'S COLD IN HERE WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO WORK ON GETTING THE AIR OFF BECAUSE THIS IS RIDICULOUS." No please or thank you. Rude. Then she had to go check the failure rate of the original bc method I wanted, and she took another HOUR to come back in. She then did a pelvic exam and was convinced that I wasn't a virgin even when I told her I was. After the exam she told one of her staff to get a video of Mirena ready for me to watch. (I'm not even getting Mirena.) So I watched that and the girls in the office are like "you're still here?! that's ridiculous! it's been four and a half hours!" After everything they sent me up front and I was told "Oh, we'll call you in 2-3 weeks when your Skyla comes in." THREE WEEKS? Now THAT is ridiculous. I'm not even going to bother going back there for my birth control. One of the most rude, disrespectful doctors I have EVER met.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

This lady is unbelievably rude, disrespectful, and tactless. She berated me for how horribly obese I apparently am the entire time I was there. I am a size 12 and I do need to lose about 30 pounds, but she seriously talked to me like I weigh 500 pounds and had to be rolled in there on a wheelbarrow. She told me all my problems would go away if I lose weight, even though I had all the same problems back when I was thin! She also insists that birth control pills never cause weight gain, even though it is listed as a side effect on every brand out there! Oh, and it always takes forever here...at least 2 hours every time just for a simple pap smear. She seems to think that shame is the best way to motivate someone, but all she has motivated me to do is find a new gyno!!! (By the way, I edited my original comment since my most recent visit...and I would change all my ratings to 1 if it would let me!)

flag | Submitted August 7, 2013

Dr. Vanko did not seem to concerned about what my issues were. She would not let me tell her how I felt and kept cutting me off when I was trying to explain. She told me I was too fat and if I lose weight I'll be fine. Vaginal bleeding and cramps for 6weeks is not due to being 20lbs overweight. I have a fibroid that is almost 2cm and she said it was "no big deal". She wanted to push birth control and I have had my tubes tied and didnt want to be on pills. So she perscribed pain pills. No thank you....After laying there undressed for a while, she came back to my room and decided to tell me about the 91 year old woman in the room next to me that has cancer and that she(Dr. Vanko) feels that a 91 year old woman that is completely demented doesnt need treatment. That Dr. shows no care in the world about her specialty. I had the worst experience with this Dr. and have since been treated by a different Dr.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2012

This was the worst experience of my life visiting a gyno.I set up an appt because I recently got health insurance and I have always had issues with my cycle.I was very scared that something was very wrong with me and I was going to the doctor for help and support. First, I got into the doctor about an hour late, the staff was very unhelpful and then came the visit. I was literally laying on the table, with the Dr. doing a pap smear when someone walked in and asked her a question like it wasnt a big deal. IT WAS A BIG DEAL!Then discussing my symptoms, she decided i had a type of disease and I would have to be put on fertility drugs when I wanted to get pregnant.There was no bedside manner, she blatantly yelled from outside the hallway when I asked her a question "If you are asking if you are infertile, then yes, you are".I was extremely upset.Then I had to go back for my lab results which is a whole different story.Dr/staff and is awful, very mean and patronizing. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2011

The absolute worst experience of my life was a visit to Dr. Vanko. She scared me into getting a biopsy while I was pregnant. While performing this biopsy she was berating me for not getting a pelvic exam sooner. Repeating herself over & over about how it wasn't likely that I was going to continue this pregnancy which meant I was going to have a hysterectomy. I was suffering through the biopsy & it wasn't pleasant, I didn't feel her punishing me with words was necessary. She told me nothing in my uterus looked good &that it was so bad it is like what you see in Mexico. I honestly felt like this lady was trying to punish me for not having a pelvic exam sooner. As she was talking I apologized for my uterus not looking good, but if she could stop chanting it that would be helpful. She kept on. I never went back.I should mention that her staff was awesome. I don't understand how such nice helpful ladies could stay on staff after seeing her in action. They were apologetic as I was leaving.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2011

Dr. Mary Frances Vanko's Credentials

• Univ Of Il Coll Of Med, Chicago Il 60680 (Grad. 1987)

Top Hospitals in Merrillville, IN