Ratings for Dr. Vance Z. Johnson

As others have mentioned, Dr. Johnson as moody and changeable. First visit, he was so kind. A recent visit, it's as if he had a downgraded personality transplant, and it left me stunned. He is incredibly gifted when it comes to pain management, but has another side to him that can leave one in tears. For some reason, he has a very rude manner about him if you say something that somehow sets him off. I left his office in tears, feeling much worse than when I arrived, and will find a doctor with both talent AND graciousness in the future. I hope he can begin to live up to the quotes on his wall, as its a shame to see such talent go to waste due to rude or arrogant personality traits. I thought perhaps it was just me, but other reviews elsewhere reflected the rudeness and arrogance as well. Sad that such mood swings scare his patients away.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

From the various comments/experiences I just read, Dr. Johnson seems to have a roller coaster swing of either mood or he has been experiencing some personal event(s) that spill over into his behavior with patients. I have experienced both the compassion, great bedside manner, as well as a very puzzling set of behaviors from him. In a recent experience over several visits it was inferred that it was me not understanding what had been told to me, but actually I was not told about a certain office procedure that apparently I was handling wrong. Instead of explaining, I was told (bruskly) by his office when I called that I would not be able to remain as a patient if I didn't change....and yet when their procedure was explained to me it made perfect sense and I wondered why it had not been explained to me before, although they claimed to have done so. To make this worse, Dr. Johnson restated this, about not being able to remain as his patient if I didn't "change". I was both puzzled and very angry about being treated this way. As part of his explanation. he said that he is not a pain management doctor and referred me to the name of the business on his door as Spine Institute. I have seen him off and on since 2009 as my pain management doctor, and was referred to him by my primary doctor as such. Apparently he changed the name a while back, but was still seeing many patients with pain problems. When I saw my regular doctor last week I asked for a referral to another pain management specialist. Hmmm, it's interesting that I found him under pain management.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2015

I have never had a worst experience than what I did with Dr Johnson. Right from the start this dr showed his true colors. Someone mentioned below that he was an alien....I think that is being too kind. I felt from the second I met him I was dealing with Satan himself. This doctor is rude, unprofessional and out right mean. He doesn't treat pain he creates it! I will definitely be filing a complaint to the medical board.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

When we first seen doctor Vance Johnson he was nice, then the next visit he was a jerk. He talked down to my husband and seemed to act like he was a "god" like most surgeons. He was extremely rude and I don't recommend him to anyone. I just can't believe the doctors out here in California. Doctor had bad bedside manner and never explained stuff completely. His staff said I was going to be put under, meaning asleep, and I was given some joke of a sedation and I felt all the pain and pressure from the injection. He was very condescending as well. I don not recommend this "joke" to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

Doc was knowledgeable and had great bedside manner. Gave more time that I expected he would and listened to my complaints with compassion. I'd recommend.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2013

I've never seen a less professional display by a doctor. Not having seen him for over a year, it's like an alien took over his body. He was rude, hostile, and never stopped talking. He didn't bother to read the questionnaire that patients fill out before he sees them, so he came in clueless as to what was going on. After that, he indicated that I should be happy, because I'm doing better than most patients with multiple back surgeries. I told him the spasms were waking me at night, and was losing a lot of sleep. He told me I should find something else that makes me happy, and adjust to the fact that this is how my life is now. My husband and I were flabbergasted, and bitterly disappointed. He talked so much and so fast that we had both figured he was on drugs. He wouldn't or couldn't take the time to listen to anything either of us tried to tell him, and went on with canned diatribes. Don't waste your time with this guy.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2013

Dr. Johnson is very knowledgeable and helped my chronic lumbar pain. The MILD procedure he performs is great for LSS patients. My main compliant is their office management.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2012

Dr. Johnson was extremely helpful in relieving chronic back pain that I have had for years following 3 back surgeries. The procedure was minimally invasive and such a relief. He is also a very nice person.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2011

I had a horrible experience at this office.I filed a complaint with the medical board. Dr Johnson was extremely rude. He wanted to do a procedure that is consider by almost all insurances to be experimental.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2010

dr johnson is a very compassionate and attentive doctor and when one is in chronic pain you couldn't ask for anything more. i appreciate dr johnson and his entire staff who are just as kind as dr johnson

flag | Submitted May 28, 2010

Dr. Vance Z. Johnson's Credentials

• Loma Linda University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)