Ratings for Dr. Avery M. Jackson

I am shocked by how many negative reviews I'm seeing but then again, people tend to complain more than they complement. I am 12 hours out of a 3 vertebrae laminectomy, sitting at my computer, almost pain free, it's maybe a 2. I thought the PA was crazy when she told me they would send me home on Tylenol. Even the pre and post op nurse questioned her. She was right! I really only need Tylenol but they did change and send me home with Ultram. Took one pill just to "stay ahead of the pain" but it wasn't needed. Dr. Jackson came highly recommended to me in 2007 when I had severe neck pain which resulted in a discectomy. Then in 2008 when I went back for my annual, he found a HUGE bone spur, looked like a viking horn, on the back of C3 so a corpectomy was scheduled. What the MRI didn't show was that the bone spur had grown through the dural sac. Therefore, my surgery went from 2 and a half hours to over 6. The NeuroICU nurses said that I was fortunate to have him for my surgeon because no one else would have been able to perform what was needed and that he was the best in the area. To address the long waits, seeing a PA instead of the physician, and other complaints, you first must remember that you are seeing a Specialist. That means there aren't very many of them around so they are busier. Second thing to remember is that Dr's don't always know how long a patient is going to take in the room. Have YOU ever gone to the doctor for one thing and talked about 3, 4 or more different things? The PA is there to pre-process you and goes over ALL of your information very carefully with Dr. Jackson. He is the one who makes the decisions, the PA just asks the questions: how long, how bad, what relieves it, etc. then he can come in and get right to the meat of the matter. Do you remember the PA asking if you had any other questions? If you had she would have addressed them and then discussed them with him so that you wouldn't forget to ask him. Greedy? No way! Sure there are some doc's out there that are greedy, some that push pain pills, and some that are totally unscrupulous. But I have always found his office staff helpful in pursuing insurance issues, proficient in processing my questions by both messages and phone calls, they have always been very friendly with me and if not, it may be because they are working on a problem for someone else at the time. Bed side manner/quickly over office calls/arrogant never would I use ANY of those phrases to describe my experience with Dr. Jackson. He has always been very friendly, respectful, and kind while also being professional and to the point. And I am especially relieved that he is a Christian and asks his patients if he can pray with them before surgery. In fact, after my 2008 surgery, the biologic glue that he used to close the dural sac didn't hold ( I guess I must have moved too much) so my surgery site was leaking when I woke up. They called him in and he showed up in his suit ready to go to church. He said return to surgery and I said "how about you go to church and pray about it and then come back" He said, how about I go get the surgery room scheduled. He won! Of course! Dr. Avery Jackson is a stellar human being, one worthy of only accolades in my book! But I know that not everyone has the same opinion of doctors. We're all looking for something different, that's what makes us special. Our uniqueness and our ability to accept others opinions. Be blessed and continue on Dr Jackson.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2018

Staff was not like I remembered. Really missing front desk girl Kristina. Dr Jackson is very nice but some of the staff is short with patients. Others act very fake.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2018

Seen him after Dr Ho left he is arrogant acts like he his better than anyone else. Plus I Know a surgical nurse who said he listen to a boom box during surgery. Said it was a big distraction. Her job was to keep patients alive. Sad that he is very rude.Shame a hospital will do anything to keep a Nero dr.Wake up Genesys. Dr.Ho was a real dr.Shame they went to the bottom of the barrel and pulled him out.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2018

I would not recommend Dr. Jackson because his PA's and staff constantly diagnose you differently. They contradict each other and leave the patient feeling very confused. Too many hands in the cookie jar at this office and the RN's in the hospital are rude. After my second surgery, these nurses would point and laugh at me because I was in so much pain. Also, it was required that I use a walker after my surgery but Avery nor any of the staff had told me that. This was the worse experience of my life and also, they do not like to give you anything for pain! Oh, and by chance if you are a smoker, best find somewhere else to have your procedure, they will nicotine test you without telling you. My surgery was post-poned 2 weeks because I was wearing a nicotine patch the day of the blood screening. Like, I was punished for quitting smoking! Redicuolus!

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

I would not recommend Dr.Jackson!! period not a good

flag | Submitted February 17, 2015

My husband saw Dr. Jackson for severe back pain. Our doctor's office alerted us to the fact we would have to wait a while because he was a very busy surgeon but he was an excellent doctor. The surgery took over two hours longer than expected but Dr. Jackson took care of all problems he found when he was in there. We are so happy because for the first time in four years my husband has very little pain and he's just three weeks from surgery. We would recommend Dr. Jackson and his staff without hesitation.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2014

Very attentive on initial appt for laminectomy needed for my husband after a fall. Prayed with us before the surgery (wow!! & much appreciated) PAs were great!! Sara & Cara were very knowledgable & helpful. Saw dr after surg for explanation of procedure, update. I am a RN & would highly recommend. Don't say that lightly as I work on a surg unit. One thing I was not happy about was not told we could req private room, no extra charge. Hate semi private rooms w/a passion.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2012

I seen Dr. Jackson in 2001 in Winchester Va.He did surgery on my back with fusion and hardware. I have had noting but pain since the surgery. When I told him it was no better he would say it has to be I operated on it. Needless to say in 2005 I was still in severe pain and come to find out the hardware was in the wrong place and had to be removed. I positively not recommend this Doctor to operate on anyone. It was one of the worst experience in my life. As of today 2012 I am still having back problems.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2012

I'm shocked by some of the other comments here! I am extremely pleased with Dr. Jackson and his staff! Dr. Jackson accommodated all of my concerns and questions during my consult visit - I never felt rushed or inconvenienced. The office staff was very professional, courteous, and kind - a model for other physician offices to follow! The PAs are awesome - very friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. I had micro disc surgery and the pain, numbness, and discomfort in my legs are all gone. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted November 18, 2011

I would not recommend Dr.Jackson!! I know Dr's need to make money. But after my experience, I feel like I am nothing more to him than a something on an assembley line. Does he really care about the pain I am in?Dr. Jackson did sugery on my back last year. The sugery was cancelled after I had spent 6 hours of laying in a bed (due to staffing problems). I spent months waiting for this sugery to take away my pain. I financial had prepared for the sugery. To be sent home after all this was quite traumatizing! I was rescheduled for sugery two weeks later at 2pm. I had to be at the hosiptal at 12pm, I was not taken back intill 8pm. I did not come out from recovery intil 11:30pm. Should a Dr. be allowed to do sugery for 16 hours a day? SUGERY NOT SUCCESSFULL!!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2011

Dr. Avery M. Jackson's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)

Top Hospitals in Grand Blanc, MI