Ratings for Dr. Vivian Hill

I took my 5 year old daughter to see Dr. Hill for a consult. During our initial consultation, I mentioned to Dr. Hill that I have a unique eye condition called Cone rod dystrophy, accompanied with strabismus. Right then and there, Dr. Hill looked at my eyes and advised me that she could surgically correct my strabismus. I was shocked and confused as I am 35 years old and have seen numerous doctors during my lifetime regarding this issue and not one doctor has ever told me that they could correct my strabismus. I had a lengthy discussion with Dr. Hill about this and decided at the time that I did not want do the surgery because I was afraid that I would lose the function that I currently have. She told me that it's OK and that I looked great the way I was. After my appointment, I went home and pondered the thought. Would I lose my function, my vision completely? This greatly concerned me because I have no central vision and by straightening out my eyes, I could have a permanent blind spot, which could potentially cause me to lose some of my functionality. I am extremely high functioning because I grew up with this condition. As time went by and I debated whether or not to go through with the surgery, I decided that I did want to straighten out my eyes. I told myself that I deserved it. I made peace with my loss of vision but I never have made peace with the fact that my eyes did not look straight. I went back to see Dr. Hill and she ran some tests on me. She thoroughly answered every single question I had, with ease. She was confident and told me that she believed it was important for a person’s eyes to look straight. This was a huge relief for me because I felt like my whole life everyone sugar coated how my eyes actually look and it has always been something that deeply bothered me. Right then and there I scheduled an appointment for surgery. There was a six month waiting period. When I showed up at my surgery appointment, Dr. Hill took some time to ask me a few more questions and to assure that I was in deed ready for this. She was concerned about me losing any of my function as was I. Just minutes before heading into her operating room she called her ortho co-worker and asked her a few questions about my testing with my prism glasses, as a precaution. This made me realize how seriously Dr. Hill took my surgery and quality of life. Even at that point she told me we did not have to do the surgery that day and she could continue to assess my vision by using glasses with prisms in them to properly assess and make sure I was not left with double vision. I assured Dr. Hill that I wanted to do the surgery at that time. I just had a good feeling about it. Dr. Hill agreed. After surgery I was so eager to see the change to my eyes. To my surprise, my eyes were straight. I was so happy! Words just can't describe my joy. Dr. Hill is an outstanding surgeon. She is patient and perfectly accurate. She is the best!! My experience with her was nothing less than perfection and her entire staff was outstanding! I highly recommend anyone to see Dr. Hill. She changed my life.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Dr Hill and her staff provided thoughtful and compassionate care. My daughter was seen on an emergency basis. Information provided was clear and informative.I believe the office is an example of how all medical services should be.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

Dr. Hill is the premiere pediatric ophthalmologist in Calgary. Mention her by name when seeking a referral with your family doctor!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

From my experience Dr. Hill is an excellent surgeon and establishes very good rapport with her patients. As anyone going to this site will know, she has a varied practice - kids and adults. My perspective is provided as an adult strabismus patient. My cautionary heads-up relates to an experience in 2015 and again in 2016. In mid 2015 I had a scheduled appointment at Dr. Hill's office to assess what current treatment options existed roughly two years after surgery. (Immediate post-op follow-up was great.) Shortly before my scheduled visit the office phoned and advised that my appointment had been shifted to the Children's Hospital - I have a recollection that there had been some physical problem in the 17th Ave building where Dr. Hill is located. I went to my newly scheduled appointment at the hospital and found that I was seeing a technician. This lady was very professional, but she could provide little reason why I was seeing her versus Dr. Hill. However, she noted she would be sending her results to Dr. Hill. I felt out of the loop. Several months later I was contacted by Dr. Hill's office and given a date, yet again multiple months later to see her in 2016. As luck would have it, I subsequently became aware of an important unrelated conflict with my Dr. Hill appointment. I immediately contacted her office and was provided a new date nearly 8 months down the road. The admin staff were polite, but I was told that adult strabismus fell into a sub-specialty area and there was no earlier opening. These comments are meant to illustrate that while Dr. Hill is top notch, her practice beyond the care she provides you directly, requires some very real improvement to provide you a fully professional experience.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

The appointment with Dr. Hill was okay. However, she failed to write in her report accurate details of the exam and observations while making the exam that are relevant to my situation. When I tried to get an appointment to discuss this with her it was like the office is a barricade around her. Her male office person is rude and arrogant and won't even let one ask questions. Dr. Hill herself seemed friendly enough and helpful in the actual appointment but the overall experience due to her staff and the inability to even address concerns with her makes the overall experience horrible.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

I went there for a cosmetic consultation and once I arrived arrogant men was at the front desk taking all my details for the appointment. After I finished filling my papers, he told me that he would have to take a payment of $150 dollars from me. I said when I called here nobody mentioned about that and I even asked if the assessment would be charged. I took my papers and left he gave my documents back as if he did not care at all and did not even apologize for their error. I will just go to another clinic where the assessment is free.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2015

Dr. Hill was wonderful. Very knowledgeable and did a phenomenal surgery. I'm thrilled, the support staff was terrific as well. I couldn't be happier to be in such able hands. Thank you Dr. Hill! Carol P. Sept. 2015

flag | Submitted September 25, 2015

Dr. Hill is an exceptional physician but her clinic has gone through so many changes in the last little while that I worry about the efficiency of her office.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Dr. Hill is exceptional. Unfortunately her support staff is lacking in efficiency. I had surgery scheduled 6 months after my last appointment. I was unaware I was supposed to go for a 3 week pre op appointment. Fortunately I called their office requesting to see Dr. Hill because my condition worsened. If I would have never called, It could of had severe consequences they would of done the wrong surgery. Dr. Hill had a note in my file requiring a follow up appointment that never got booked by their front desk. Dr. Hill is amazing, caring, and so helpful, just make sure you keep on top of things. Can't rely on that front desk to get you the message. On a better note, my surgery was successful and I am almost 4 months post op. My life has been so much better and I cannot thank her enough.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Great Doctor !! Very helpful and knowledgeable! She has always been informative.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015