Ratings for Dr. Richard J. MacKool

Dr Richard MacKool is a fantastic surgeon who exudes confidence and kindness. I had a lot of anxiety about the procedure before having it. Dr MacKool and his staff set me at ease, were professional and courteous, and most importantly, kind. My sight is perfect. I recommend The MacKool Eye Institute to anyone considering laser surgery.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2013

Dr MacKool is a genius! He is the greatest surgeon ever! I had surgery with him in 2005 cataract both eyes with the first version of ReStore lens - 7 years later I still thank him for his professionalism.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2012

Mackool is a miracle worker for tough cases!!! I have a low-vision condition that messed up the size/shape of my eyes and caused cataracts. In 2004, I had cataract surgery with a dr on LI on my smaller eye - he could not get the eye to support a replacement lens, and in the process of follow up procedures, caused severe damage to an already compromised cornea. I went to 4 other top specialists in NYC before finding Dr. Mackool; no one wanted to touch this mess. Best that some offered was a full corneal transplant and the possible use of an exterior contact lens, but no guarantees my eye could support that lens either. Dr. Mackool gave me a completely different, and far superior, alternative: a lens implant sutured to my sclera (the white part?) and a "DSEK" (partial corneal transplant). He also completed catarct surgery on my other eye with no issues. These surgeries were completed in 2008, and today I am seeing better than ever, thanks to this amazingly talented surgeon.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2010

What the assembley line is to auto manufacturing the Mackool Institute is to cataract surgery. The place is a factory. Despie two waiting rooms, some days it's so crowded there's no place to sit. Mackool himself knows his stuff but you get to spend very little time with him. All followup is with staff, some of whom leave lots to be desired. After the surgery you never see Mackool again. If you're looking for personal care or a one-to-one relationship with a doctor this isn't the place for you. The only thing missing is a drive-thru window and they're probably working on that.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2009

I don't know whether the doctor is a good surgeon or not and I will never find out. The reason is that I was treated so poorly by the staff and doctor that I would never go back. The staff was a bunch of petty beauracrats with primadonna attitudes. I was literally tortured and verbally abused by both the staff and the doctor - what I was told would be a 2.5 hour appointment turned into a 5 hour appointment with absolutely no excuse or apology provided. And yet the pompous doctor spent next to no time with me and never answered a single question. The institute appears to be very poorly run and mismanaged and the staff are the most pathetic bunch of losers I have ever had the misfortune to encounter in a doctor's office.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2009

After one ophthalmologist said I would need cataract surgery on both eyes, I saw Dr. MacKool for a second opinion...Extensive examination by his staff and him led to his conclusion that I did not any surgery on either eye! He and his entire staff were extremely professional and conveyed a solid sense of competence. I recommend him most highly.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2009

After many years of a thyroid condition that turned my life upside down and previous eye surgeries after being told that there was a good possiblity that I may go blind in both eyes thanks to the NY eye and ear infirmary all went well. When diagnosed with cataracts they recomended Dr. Mackool. I feel as if I got my life back after the surgery by Dr.Mackool. He is a true proffesional in every step of the way. His staff is awesome as well. Thanks Dr.Mackool. Thanks staff at the Mackool institute. Happy and grateful in Queens.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2008

Very knowledgable for all eye problems. Has latest equipment and in known for lasic eye surgery.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2006

Dr. Richard J. MacKool's Credentials

• Boston Univ Sch Of Med, Boston Ma 02118 (Grad. 1968)