Ratings for Dr. Barry A. Benowitz

Horrible bedside manner. Made 3 very rude and inappropriate comments and would only focus on my weight, not the underlying condition causing the weight. He put me on a diet that hasn't been around for 16 years and way lower calories than the dietician said I should be on. He wouldn't listen to my concerns, only kept telling me that I needed to loose weight. Waste of time and money!

flag | Submitted October 13, 2016

I have been going to dr Benowitz for about 5 years. I have hypothyroidism and took levothyroxin but still had Hypothyroid symptoms. I explained every visit that I was fatigued, problems loosing weight, hair loss, etc. but he always made an excuse for each symptom or thought I was lying. He kept telling me I needed to loose weight (150 lbs 5ft7 so healthy bmi) and that I should only eat 1200 calories. I did so and gained 5 lbs! I called his office and he was out of town for two months. They told me to see another dr. Finally went to board certified weight loss doctor~ he finally ran correct labs! t3 low. He switched my meds (from levothyroxin to armour thyroid) lost 6 lbs in 1 week- no hypothyroid symptoms! Dr Benowitz only tested t3 in 2008 and was low but didn't treat. He was against this med and told me how terrible it was. But it changed my life! If you have hypothyroidism - google "stop the thyroid madness" read book research website. Get help! Don't see Benowitz!!!

flag | Submitted July 24, 2014

Dr. Benowitz was the third Endocrinologist I have seen. The first one seemed a little Alzheimerish, the second one was an outright fraud (Falahati-Nini). Dr. Benowitz told me things that sounded like something a real doctor would say. He knows that Falahati is most often useless. His questions were thoughtful and his conclusion was useful. His sense of humor is very dry, but I like that. I'll keep going.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2014

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

Dr. Benowitz is very closed minded. He knows what he wants you to "have" without a full discussion of symptons. However his office manager Shelly was amazing to work with and friendly and bubbly and amazing. I think she is the reason patients tolerate the doctor for as long as they may.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

flag | Submitted July 16, 2012

I have been going to him for over 20 years.He saved my life and always treated me with respect.With my disease I should not even be alive today.So what about the money, my life is more valuable.Yes, I was fat and he was honest with me about it.I sure can't put a person down for honesty.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2012

Nightmare, not helpful at all. I went to him 1 1/2 years ago. The office failed to bill my insurance company and considered the visit "personal pay". Despite working with them early on to straighten out the confusion, the "outstanding debt" is now with the constable's office with a date to sell my personal belongings. The charges went from appx. $2,000 (labs/visit) to now over $4,000 and was being sent to an old address! I had no idea that this horror story had continued on to this point.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2011

He was not helpful at all. Just told me I was fat and I am only 152lbs and am 5'4". I am not grossly over weight. Still having the high b/p and nothing got resolved. Not very nice either. Very sarcastic! Do not go to him!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2011

I have been a patient for 13 years and have found him always on time for appointments and never had a billing problem with insurance. He saved my life and I hope he never retires.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2011

Dr. Barry A. Benowitz's Credentials

• Tufts University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1973)