You may also like

Rate Dr. Mark J. Downey

Dr. Mark J. Downey's Ratings

Dr Downey is the best! I've had nerve blocks from several others & not only is he very good at what he does, he is one of the most caring & compassionate physicians I've ever met. Pertaining to other reviews that made it sound bad that all he does is injections, that is his expertise & that is what he does, so don't get upset because this is his subspecialty. Also, the reason why it takes awhile to get an appt. or that you may have to wait once you're there is because he is very popular with his patients & he takes time with each patient . Isn't that what you want? If you don't want to wait, then you may not be seeing a very caring provider, so you may want to look at it that way. My mom & I have both been patients of Dr. Downey's for 7 years & we can't say enough great things about him. We absolutely love him! My only negative is that sometimes, the front desk workers aren't the most friendly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2803498].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Had great service over 10 nerve blocks and epidurals. However the recent one was very rushed and unnerving. IV, BP, were done by nurse stooping on floor while anesthesiologist was questioning me. Patients were rushed to chairs outside door to treatment room where I could seen patient on table. doctor wasn't wanting to answer question and I was put under. Immediately upon waking patients were offered juice and crackers, told to sit in hallway and wait for family to come get them. No one reported to family member about results nor to me. I had to finally ask about follow-up care and I was handed a paper with not a word. This was very unlike the care taken on previous visits. I was told I had another's problem, but then why did pain get more than 50% better? I Wanted to explain why I had pain in an additional area (fall that day in their office) but I was hurriedly put to sleep. They were the ones who explained the problem prior and said an epidural was due. This was a horrible Rush, impersonal visit. When I asked a question after the procedure I was told to ask the doctor but neither of us saw him again. This is not at all what I had experienced before. Another thing, they only had one record available and that was not from the last done by the doctor. He seemed irritated that I didn't fit into a pre-formed slot. Is this the way it will be in the future? Then I will go elsewhere.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2725631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 18, 2015

Wonderfull experience. Everyone knowledgeable and courteous. Was in and out of office within 1 hr. Will definitly use again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834995].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2014

Sticks a needle in you and that's about it. If you call his office/staff multiple times in excruciating pain asking for advice or help (NOT meds, god forbid) you won't ever get a response, literally. He will never be on time for any blocks, not even to save his life. Plan ahead for him being at least an hr late for anything you schedule with him. Sure, he's very knowledgeable about his field, and, well, that's really the only good thing to say. Find somebody else.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834994].votes_count ]]

Submitted Oct. 14, 2013

After seeing orthopedist, I was referred to Dr. Downey for a block in my neck. I have never had this sort of problem and was quite nervous. I was told that if I scheduled for him to do the block, I could get right in. But if I wanted to meet with him first to discuss it, I would be scheduled 6 weeks out. I just wasn't comfortable with going that route. I work for a doctor who referred me to another doctor. This doctor prefers to meet with his patients before determining exactly what needs to be done.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834993].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 17, 2013

Nice enough fellow, but a one trick pony. I totally agree with one of the other reviews. His primary mode of managing pain is through the use of steroid spine injections. He will allow up to 3 of these pain "blocks" over the course of a few months. If you don't feel better, his only answer is to wait until your body can once again tolerate another series of spinal injections. I have seen him many times (perhaps 5 or 6 times). It also consistently runs late for both his in-clinic appointments, but also his out-patient procedures. The man DOES NOT run on time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834992].votes_count ]]

Submitted Jan. 4, 2013

Not pain management, very unknowledgeable reagarding pain, unless you fit into the mold of three pain blocks, then surgery. otherwise, he shows aggravation if you are still in pain. I called to make an appt. and staff told me that I was not allowed to see MD unless I paid 20.00 balance, I said, of course, however, my concern is over the hundreds of my own patients I have sent there over the years that may not be able to pay their balance right then, billing confirmed that they would be left to hurt. Very concerning. I found a new physician, who gave me pain relief immediately with a nerve root block, and has scheduled my surgery. I am angry that I wasted a year in so much pain because of Dr Downey's incompetence and limited scope of practice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834991].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 19, 2012

It takes a RIDICULOUS amount of time to get a pain block appointment!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834990].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 5, 2012

Dr. Downey is such a great doctor. He listens to what you are saying and doesn't make you feel like you are an idiot for telling him about your pain. He takes his time with you and really tries to get to the root of the problem. I would recommend him to anyone. Great doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834989].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 15, 2011

I received great care. Dr. Downey seemed very knowledgeable and discussed my options in detail. Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and professional. My treatment plan is conservative and allows me to return to work without being sedated by medications. I was very impressed with the entire office.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][834988].votes_count ]]