Ratings for Dr. Alan J. Schefer

Memorial Day weekend, anti kickback device on my radial saw shot a of wood across my fingertip. Could see bone and bone chips, nail was mangled, tip of finger essentially gone. ER Dr. suggested just amputating the tip, but Dr. Schefer was on call and came in. He took a look at the mess and told me, "Oh, I can fix that!" and apologized for the pain I would feel as he injected anesthetic. Today I have a working fingertip, complete with a nail. It's a little shorter than it used to be, but only noticeably so on close inspection. Great, precision work, great bedside manner. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

Dr. Schefer is an outstanding hand surgery. I developed carpal tunnel symptoms in both hands probably triggered by follow-up cancer medication which resulted in tingling and numbness in my fingers/hand and many sleepless nights. My team of doctors at MKMG immediately diagnosed the problem; all recommended Dr Schefer. After testing confirmed I had a moderate level of carpal tunnel in both hands (that will only worsen over time), Dr Schefer recommended and performed micro surgery on my left hand. The symptoms went away almost immediately with little pain and a tiny scar in the wrist that will fade away. I must add that I have a global, corporate level position with a major technology company. Other than the day of surgery, I lost no time at work. Dr Schefer's staff is professional and efficient as is Dr Schefer with patients. I plan to have the right hand surgery in a couple of months. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

I had basal joint arthritis for many years. I had hand therapy for this from a Certified Hand Therapist. As the condition worsened, she recommended Dr. Schefer as the best hand surgeon in the area. He explained all the treatment options (more hand therapy, cortisone shots, surgery) very well. We used cortisone 2 times. The first treatment helped for 6 months, but the second only for about 2. At that point I had the surgery done. It was very successful. The pain is gone, almost full range of motion and strength are back. Be aware that you MUST do extensive hand therapy (4+ weeks) after the surgery to regain range of motion and strength.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2012

Dr. Schefer,is very knowledgeable, caring and considerate,and truly loves what he does.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2009

He's a HAND surgeon - under no circumstances allow him to operate on your hip or leg. He may be "medically" qualified to do so, but his lack of expertise in that area caused me to need TWO more hip surgeries and gave me a serious infection.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2009

Severe Carpal tunnel/ulnar tunnel- did surgery on L hand and arm- no more pain- back to normal

flag | Submitted April 4, 2007

I went to Dr. Schefer for second opinion for my broken hand. Surgery was recomended by the first orthopidist but Dr Schefer sad I can do without surgery. My hand is back to normal after 4 weeks in cast. Wonderful.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2006

Dr. Alan J. Schefer's Credentials

• Hahnemann University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1990)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal