Ratings for Dr. Ricardo A. Hanel

He treated my dad at the hospital. Very professional and great bedside manners. Very knowledgable and confident!

flag | Submitted December 28, 2016

I was misdiagnosed by several doctors in Tampa, Fl. Saw Dr. Hanel and he diagnosed me with Moya Moya disease which most doctors do not even know about. I had surgery and everything was a success. Dr. Hanel took time with me, explaining everything. I find him very kind and patient and extremely talented. The very best!

flag | Submitted October 2, 2015

I had surgery for an unruptured aneurysm on the paraopthamalic nerve behind my right eye. I was misdiagnosed locally in 2010 and then accurately diagnosed in 2013. My local neurologist is not a surgeon and suggested I go to Vanderbilt in Nashville or University of Alabama Birmingham. His preference was UAB. They didn't call me for an appointment so I found Dr. Hanel in my research and requested an appointment with him. I met with him and liked him immediately! We discussed treatment options, I had a test the following morning. Had surgery a week later. He took wonderful care of me and my husband during the entire process. I chose the more aggressive clipping surgery, a gut feeling, and it was a good thing I did. He told my husband in recover that the artery was paper thin and it was good I trusted my instinct. His entire staff was amazing the people at Mayo Clinic are amazing. I have never felt so good about a medical facility. I am going shortly for my two year check up post surgery and can't help but be extremely thankful that I crossed paths with Dr. Hanel!

flag | Submitted June 2, 2015

I was first seen by dr hanel in august if 2013 . i had been diagnosed at baptist hosp south with a large "mass" behind my right eye and surgeon really had no knowledge or idea of what to do. i had this problem since birth and had the top people ohe field since i was a child and had been at mayo back in 1987 when the performed a laser ablation on the AVM . but knew it would come back , well 25 yrs later i got a sharp stabbing pain in right side of my head and vsion went double like a switch was turned also sharp incapacitating headaches . was referred to mayo and met dr hanel . he was very concerned about condition and how to get to it he correctly identified it as an AVM . i was immediately calmed of his knowledge and skill . he promptly went to work with a team at mayo and had first surgery was performed 11-28-13 and he said they removed approx 1/3 of mass. it was a very painful recovery and then in middle of January asked me if i wanted to proceed with second surgery both of wich were really experimental procedures. i said yes as my wife rolled her eyes . he told me the basic outline of the procedure and i knew it was going to be a rough go of it but he and his staff gave me all the confidence and support i needed . mayo is an amazing place . i asked one of his PS'A what he was like in the OR and he said he was what you dreamed about as a resident , never lost his composure always teaching . dr hanel is a very driven man but whe i asked him about leaving mayo and going to baptist lyerly group he said " i know i may have ruffled some feathers whe i left but i feel that i have been given a great gift by GOD and is my duty to help as many of my brothers as i can " Truly ans incredible ,an and doctor and i cannot recommend him highly enough also has a funny sense of humor too

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

Back in February my son had what was thought to be a Cavernoma. He was to undergo a craniotomy to remove this CM. Once the original neurologist got into his brain they realized that he was not a CM, but in fact a AVM. Luckily Dr. Hanel, was finishing up another surgery at the hospital and was able to come and lead the neurologist in repairing his AVM. Dr. Hanel, did a angiogram the next day and found another AVM!! A few days after that he performed another angiogram to embolize the AVM, which was a success. He has since had 2 more angiograms performed by Dr. Hanel. Dr. Hanel did everything to make us all comfortable and took the time to talk with us and answer all our questions.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2014

I had a brain aneurysm that ruptured on 11/3/2009 and had the pleasure of meeting the Ricardo Hanel at the Mayo Clinic after surgery a couple of days later, he definitely saved my life after I was sent from the ORMC in Orlando because they advised my family that they were not able to operate on me due to the location! He is a very talented doctor I speak so highly of him when testifying about him saving my life to everyone!!

flag | Submitted November 14, 2013

My mother had an anurizum and was scared she would have to have her head cut open, but he went thru the grion. He was so sweet and assured her, calming all her fears. He's very confident and should be, he truly saved her life. He is down to earth, kind and understanding. My mother just thinks he's the best and so do I.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2013

Dr. Hanel is amazing and I cannot say enough good things about him and his staff. My mother was diagnosed with a GBM, which is very frightening brain tumor, but he eased our nerves and has an exceptional beside manor. He reviewed the MRI in detail with my mother and family, and took the personal time that we needed to explain all aspects of the procedure and what we could expect post operatively. He was extremely knowledgable, understanding and competent, which made this scary situation as comforting as possible. He has been present and available to answer any questions that have come up post operatively. He is amazing!!!!

flag | Submitted June 11, 2013

Dr. Ricardo Hanel did my Cavernous Malformation (CM) removal and in Oct. 2010 after other Neurosurgeons recommended not having the surgery and staying on anti-seizure medications for the rest of my life which have a tendancy to wreck the liver, etc. and stop working eventually. His exact words were, "if the other doctors studied under the doctor I did they would feel differently, he wrote the book on this type of surgery". My line of thinking was why wait until I'm in my 60's or later and it has enlarged so much I end up with paralysis because after reading about them I found the CMs do grow slowly when they bleed and put pressure on surrounding areas of the brain. The surgery was the easiest part I had a seizure at home then one in the emergency room (in my opinion, due to the neurologists), Dr. Hanel was there to see me and comfort my wife as she was in tears. They had been giving me Dilantin with a multi-vitamin, calcium blocks the absorption. Have someone track what they give you!

flag | Submitted December 31, 2011

Dr Hanel saved my life.... I am a 33 year old patient who had a tear in my vertebral artery which caused a bloot clot in the brain stem which caused a stroke. I had only a 10% percent chance of life and he saved me. Thank God for giving him his gift!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2011