Ratings for Dr. Glen J. Poffenbarger

Funny how all the selfish people are more concerned about how much pain medication Dr. Poffenbarger is willing to give them; or "his terrible bedside manner" because he didn't shuck and jive with them, but is very straight to the point, and to his objective of fixing what's wrong with them. Bottom line, did he make your situation a whole lot better with your quality of life(?). He performed an L4-L5 fusion on me Jun 4, 2014, when no other doctor for the previous 10 years could come close to figuring out what was wrong with me. Yes, Dr. Poffenbarger 100% diagnosed my condition(s), and performed what has since felt like a flawless surgery. And his recommendations for rehab, especially the walking sped along beautifully the healing process. It's been over two years since my surgery, and I went from being able not to walk some days, to pretty much doing what I want now; my quality of life has since gone through the roof.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

Outstanding Surgen. Highly recommend him. I agree he needs to adjust the medication to allow for more days of pain and muscle spasms. The 3-4 miles a day walking were the best theropy and aided the healing process. He and his staff were phenominal. 15months later the L4-L5 fusion has aleviated 90% of my issues. Thanks for new life.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2014

He may be a great neurosurgeon, but hus bedside manner needs some SERIOUS training. Judging by his continued rants about Pain Management Dr's I have to wonder what kind of skeletons are hiding in HIS closet with regard to pain meds?? He cuts open your gut and your spine, inserts $100k worth of titanium and then sez only 3 days of pain meds, no pt needed, no back brace and you should be walking 2+ miles a day within 3 weeks of surgery. Hup two three four. Yep THAT is the Army way.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2014

So far I have been very pleased with both the staff and the Dr. Poffenbarger. I am scheduled for surgery next week and everything has been very efficient! While meeting with the Dr., I felt he was very attentive and allowed me to "vent" and to take control of my conditions. I'll write a second review after surgery and my recovery.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2014

I was referred here by my primary doctor because of a tumor in my spine. I heard through various people he was a great doctor. however, my appointment was at 8:00am I had already brought ALL of my paperwork and CDs in a week earlier. I waited until 8:45 just to be put in a room then waited another 30 minutes just for a NP to come in &question me then the dr didn't even come in until around 9:45 mind you there was no one there when I got there. Finally left after being ordered more tests which I got done that week and called to make another appointment and told I had to wait a month to be seen again for test results, absolutely absurd although I did get called after a cancellation which was good however the office staff is very rude and non sympathetic. I called & left a message with the nurse which says they will return a call in 24 hours which did not happen I finally just went to the office 2 days later. various problems with the front office and glad I don't have to go there anymore

flag | Submitted October 27, 2013

Went to him because he was so highly respected in his field. HOWEVER,with knowledge should come some tact and bedside manner. He was rude, arrogant and literally hostile when I tried to talk to him about my problems and past surgeries. He said he didn't want to talk about the past. He also despises pain management doctors. . . said "I'm not going to waste my time going down a list of 20 meds to solve your problem, I'm a surgeon." Isaid I would give some thought to suggestions and didn't agree to the 2 more tests he wanted me to have, he became very dismissive and then tried at being human before we left. He was so sure of himself that we would go ahead that he walked out with us and told his staff to cancel the orders for the two tests. That we would get back to them. Needless to say, that won't happen. He's not the only option around even if we need to travel to DC. He also said "Well, at 73 with your history you are a complicated case and what do you expect from your back?"

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

I was kept waiting for more than one hour (it is quite painful for me to have to sit for very long). Then I had to endure another 30 minutes or more of ridiculous questioning by a nurse (even though I had filled out a half dozen pages of paperwork beforehand). Finally, Dr. Poffenbarger came in. He was cold, rude and dismissive toward me. He seemed to be more interested in the amount of time I have been on WC benefits than anything else. Although he finally authorized surgery for an implant device to help with my pain, I would not allow this rude **** to operate on me for any reason whatsoever. I return to my regular doctor and informed him of the above experience and he was upset and apologized profusely for Dr. Poffenbarger's unprofessional attitude and exceptionally rude behavior.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2013

At first, he was cold and didn't believe me in the amount of pain I was in (until he saw my tests). I ended up having surgery with him though because he is the best neurosurgeon in the area (Referred to me by several people) and I had already had ACDF surgery up in INOVA (which failed) and it was just too far to go. I personally, have not had any issues with the office staff. Once I said I was going to go ahead and have the surgery, he was very nice and respectful at the office and then on surgery day too.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2013

While I also had multiple problems with the office staff (referrals, appointment rescheduling, etc) Dr. Poffenbarger himself has been wonderful. He was sympathetic. He explained everything and really listened to me. I'm on an extremely strong pain medicine and he had nothing negative to say about it. In fact, he told me I was being very responsible w/ my meds. I'm now waiting for my surgery to be scheduled. I have far less anxiety due to Dr. Poffenbarger's outstanding bedside manner and obvious competence.

Submitted October 25, 2011

The doctor is great ! The office staff needs to be schooled on how to do their job and the waiting for an appointment to see the doctor is absurd to wait 4-6 weeks when you are in terrible pain.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2011