You may also like

Rate Dr. Lawton W. Tang

Dr. Lawton W. Tang's Ratings

But he was alert and preparing to be released to a rehab center in April 2003 when hospital staff took him for an MRI, a diagnostic test that requires the patient to be placed in a cylindrical machine.

Otero became agitated, and a doctor over the phone prescribed a powerful drug in a dosage that "was sufficient to paralyze the patient completely, making him unable to move or breathe on his own," according to state records.

The drug, in combination with other medications Otero had been given at Memorial, caused his heart to stop beating normally, said the family's attorney, Bradley Winston of Plantation.

"I heard, 'Code Blue, MRI' and I began running and screaming, 'Something happened to my son!' " recalls Otero's mother, Ana Delgado. "A nurse told me that his heart stopped, and they revived him. He was in a coma."

Otero was left a quadriplegic. He had just turned 20.

Life would never be the same for the popular young man or his close-knit family. A native of Havana, Cuba, Otero had no shortage of friends — he was on the invitation list to a score or more "quinces" parties, a coming-of-age tradition in Latin culture, and had a steady stream of girlfriends while attending Miami Springs High School, his mother said.

After graduating, Otero worked as a baggage handler at Miami International Airport and hoped to one day turn his computer savvy into a high-paying job.

For a while after the accident, Otero's many friends visited often, but the well-wishers have since dwindled. His mother gave up her job as a hairstylist to be a full-time caretaker, and her marriage to Otero's father crumbled under the strain of their son's tragedy, ending in divorce, she said.

"We went through a lot,'' Delgado said.

Her days now consist of tending to her 28-year-old son with help from a nurse's assistant, a physical therapist and a housekeeper.

Otero is incontinent and can only eat food that is liquified in a blender. He responds to familiar voices with his eyes and can laugh, but his only other verbal communication is an occasional moan.

Relatives stop by regularly and watch television on the big-screen TV in his room. His favorite show: "America's Funniest Videos." Otero's mother sometimes takes him to the beach or a park for a stroll in his wheelchair. Every March, the family celebrates his birthday with a pig roast.

Proceeds from a multiple-defendant lawsuit the family filed help pay for Otero's care.

The doctor who ordered the medication, Lawton Tang, and his employer, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, settled for $2 million. Tang, who is now a plastic surgeon in Pasadena, Calif., could not be reached for this story, and a Mt. Sinai spokeswoman said the hospital had no comment.

The South Broward Hospital District, which owns Memorial Regional, agreed to a $2.2 million settlement.

The district uses Otero's case "as a teaching tool … to improve care,'' said spokeswoman Kerting Baldwin. It also has incorporated more patient safety procedures, such as bar code technology on patient ID bracelets that alerts staff to risks and side effects of medications, she said.

Otero still requires occasional hospitalizations and visits to the doctor at least twice a week. His mother never leaves his side.

"As long as I am alive, I will never leave him alone with any doctor again,'' Delgado said. "I've even had arguments with doctors who tell me to wait outside, but what happened will never happen again."

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2888190].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2015

This man is not talented....HE IS GIFTED... He has given back my youth and I owe him everything. I had a breast augmentation and face lift that gave me astounding results. His high prices are worth every penny. Keep up the astounding work Dr. Lawton Tang, MD

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][845580].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 9, 2009

After reading Dr. Tang's articles on adipose derived fat stem cell transfer, I felt assured that he was experienced in the field of stem cell transfer. I had the cells transferred to my face and body and the results are outstanding!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][845579].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 18, 2009

I had my Body lift with Dr. Tang when he was at University of Pittsburgh. My results were outstanding and has changed my life. It has enabled me to live again and free myself from a cocoon of wrinkled skin. Dr. Tang's operative skills is beyond reproach, simply an amazing individual.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][845578].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 16, 2008

I spoke to three plastic surgeons before I met Dr. Lawton Tang and Dr. Kenna Given, who gave me an amazing result on my facelift. I had minimal bruising and my younger sisters think I look younger than them. God Bless them. Best money I have ever spent.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][845577].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 24, 2008

I had a breast lift that gave me amazing results in comparison to my friends. Highest degreee of professionalism.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][845576].votes_count ]]