Ratings for Dr. Nirmala Shanmugam

I went to this doctor several years ago and found her to be ok. Recently I returned and when she entered the room, she immediately sat in front of her computer and typed our conversation, she never looked up, never responded with any emotion to anything I was relaying. She only wanted her agenda out! I finally asked of her to make eye contact and converse "with" me. She looked at me but did not change her cold, uninterested demeanor. When I told her about something that my GP prescribed that I had been taking, which was NOT working but was causing other issues, she replied, "You should ask him for another script, there are plenty of drugs for that problem". I was insulted, why would I want to take another drug that probably also will NOT work and may cause other issues! I asked her if she had any other suggestions, she did not even respond! She then said, "well I guess that's it", and began typing again. I said, well I came to you because I was hoping for some more direction regarding my problem. She had the nerve to again repeat, "Ask your GP for another script".... and she walked out and shut the door! I was so disgusted that I took the afternoon off from work to go to this appt. What a complete waste of time!!!!! Please DO NOT waste your time here. I wish I knew where to go, I have not yet found anyone but what I do know is I will NEVER waste my time, money and energy with Dr. Shanmugam again!!!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2019

Dr Shanmugam’s staff was amazing as was she! They are kind, considerate and so professional. So helpful and caring! Everything ran on Time with very little wait time. A very well run office with an amazing, kind, caring and smart Dr! I wish all my Drs were this fantastic !

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

Dr. Shanmugam has literally changed my son's life. He is in a wheelchair with IBS and has suffered for a very long time with emergency bathroom issues after almost every meal. Now, because of Dr. Shanmugam, there is no more pain, urgency or uncomfortable rides home from restaurants! Our son is now more "regular" and can leave the house without fear of pain, cramps or accidents! Thank you, Dr. Shanmugam. I say it every time I see you -- you have literally changed our lives.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

Dr. Shanmugam has helped me tremendously with various GI issues. She is very nice, easy to talk to, and personable. She does not rush and listens. Too bad all doctors can't be like her.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

flag | Submitted August 9, 2014

helped me a great deal. I'm a college student from out of town. Doctor and staff very accommodating. Excellent.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2013

Dr. Shanmugam is absolutely wonderful. I had been to another doctor and I was miserable. As soon as I started her treament, all my problems went away. She knew exactly what I neeed and thanks to her, I was able to enjoy eating out again and was able to go places without having to run to the bathroom.. I would nmughighly recommend her to anybody.Thanks, Dr Shanmugam!!

flag | Submitted April 11, 2013

I have been to her three times and I will not return. She is forgetful and unable to understand the way you describe your symptoms. Without my permission she wrote a letter to my doctor (gp) and inaccurately stated my symptoms causing me time/effort to clear up with him. It's very hard to find a doctor with good communication/listening skills but she is certainly not one of them.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2012

She was not able to answer our questions and seemded to have an agenda of giving everyone the same diagnosis even though our symptoms in no way fit what she was suggesting! Unfair.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2011

Great Physician in the Wellington area. I had seen 2 other Gi doctors for my difficult gastro problem. Since I have seen her, I am so pleased with her services, promptness and care, I am sticking to this office.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2009

Dr. Nirmala Shanmugam's Credentials

• Spanish

• Stanley Med Coll, Dr M G R Med Univ, Madras, Tn, India (Grad. 1989)

MSP/BC Med