Ratings for Dr. Michael F. Schlaack

I am a retired disabled veteran who usually deals with the VA for all of my medical needs. Unfortunately with my schedule it is sometimes very difficult to get appointments. Considering my medication i a controlled substance it is also not easy for refills on prescribed medication. Sometimes I have to get my refills through the urgent Care when I can't get an appt in time. This was one of two times in the last 2 years I've had to do so. The staff at this office was very helpful, courteous and overall pleasant. But when I got a chance to see the doctor, his behavior, attitude and professionalism was the worst I have ever seen in any medical environment. First, because I do not look my age nor my status as a retired vet, I was talked to like a teenage drug addict. His use of profanity was apparently essential to tell me his insurance doesn't cover malpractice. Now mind you, I have in no way responded as of yet nor really committed to his issuance of this medication. In reality, I was only there because the VA would take me a lot longer and it is not very close. This doesn't mean it is impossible just inconvenient at the time. But, I was treated as if I came in with a needle hanging from my arm, pleading for drugs and arguing with his consultation. This was obviously not the case. I completely understand not trying to get a malpractice case, I also understand not issuing controlled substances to anyone if it doesn't settle right with you as a medical professional. What I don't understand, is the need for the profanity and the yelling. When I asked him to not talk to me that way he only continued to badger me. Now, as he is asking me the dosage of my current medication and I tell him, he states "I don't give a sh#&, I'm only giving you this amount" when all I was doing was answering his questions. I then replied, that he doesn't have to talk to me like that and that I'm fine with him not giving me any medication, I'm interested in being treated properly. He then yells, "fine then you're done. I'm not giving you sh#&". Then yells across the office for the nurses to terminate my account and continues to make a rather large scene. I've said nothing and only agreed to his request. I walked out to the lobby, the nurses and staff helped me get checked out. A couple of the ladies at the front desk asked me what happened. I decided to keep it vague as not to instigate any more backlash. I asked if there was someone I could talk to about his behavior and was told, he is the owner. They followed that with, he's in a bad mood this morning. After reading some of the reviews, it seems this is common. All in all, I will not be recommending this office to anyone who would like to be treated like a human being and I have since went to the VA and took care of my prescription which is free because it was service connected. So I guess it worked out. "THANK YOU!" to the kind staff that made my last visit less awkward and embarrassing, your professionalism makes up for the doctor's lacking, and as for the Doctor; unfortunately being rude and disrespectful doesn't really go against the AMA code of medical ethics specifically. Any complaints would have to go to the state medical licensing board. Not necessarily worth my troubles for him just "hurting my feelings". I believe this doctor will eventually learn his lesson, hopefully it doesn't cost him his license. Until then stay clear of his wrath. 😏

flag | Submitted August 22, 2018

It's my opinion that Dr Schlaack is bias by a patients age and medical reason in which you are seeking treatment. I says this because my parents love Dr Schlaack, they see him for a pcp. I seen Dr Schlaack a couple of times and he has insulted me on every visit and has really bad bed side manners. He tells "jokes" that he laughs at but are quite mean and insulting.( kind of like a bully) I leave there feeling like a piece of dirt. I'm young and I guess he feels he can push me around and crack bad jokes about my condition which I do not feel comfortable with. My parents are older and go to him for for cholesterol, high blood pressure and other conditions that older people typically get and he treats them very well. Night and day on how he treats me.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2014

flag | Submitted June 12, 2014

Unprofessional. Uncompassionate. No bedside manner whatsoever.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2014

Doc Schlaak has greatly helped my family for a while now. Very smart, friendly and receptive to patient concerns. He doesn't rush (which is a GOOD thing). I can't believe some of these negative comments here. The only complaint I would have is that the wait times can be shorter, but I suppose that's because he has many patients and people know they're getting good care when they come here. He's worth the wait.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2013

He d'int want to listen to anything i had to say.He his very inconsiderate,rude,obnoxious so UNPROFESSIONAL.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2013

DR. SCHLAACK GAVE ME ALOT OF INFORMATION ON MY ILLNESS AND VERY HELPFUL WITH ANY QUESTIONS I HAD AT THE TIME. HE WAS VERY THOUGHTFULL AND MADE FEEL LIKE HE REALLY CARED. I WOULD RECOMEND MY DOCTOR TO ANYBODY IN NEED OF ONE. I GIVE THIS DOCTOR 2 THUMBS UP. AGUSTIN LOZANO

flag | Submitted March 4, 2013

Dr. Schlaack is one of the most conscientious Drs I have ever had he is compassionate and understands when you come in to see him....Very professional and caring I have been going to him for probably 8 or 9 years now and his diagnosis have always been right on and thorough and I appreciate the fact that I can go to him and feel comfortable and able to say what is going on with me. Thank you Dr. Schlaack and the staff and nurses are very professional and concerned especially when there is an office full of people who arent very patient sitting there!!!!So I thank you very much for your understanding and caring....Lucille Bruno

flag | Submitted November 7, 2012

Sorry people who have given this Dr. bad ratings makes we wonder?I have seen this DR. at least a half dozen times went today was diagnosed with phenomia,he explained why and how I could have gotten it. did not rush my time with him at all and that has always meant alot to me.This guys knows his stuff.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2011

Dr. Schlaack has been extremely helpful in getting my mother to assisted living and finding a tumor she had removed. The paper work was 2 inches thick and he worked through it all (not the best use of a Dr's time) He was responsive given all the patients he sees and has guided us to those when we needed additional help. Given its a walk-in clinic the wait depends on the time of day but has always been reasonable. He is to the point pulls no punches and Mom won't go to anyone else.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2010

Dr. Michael F. Schlaack's Credentials

• Univ Of Mi Med Sch, Ann Arbor Mi 48109 (Grad. 1981)