Ratings for Dr. Phillip P. Sukel

This dentist per my mother pushes x-rays. After she had x-rays this guy wanted her to get a $200 x-ray which she declined. My mom got a tooth pulled that cost her $800. The last tooth pulled cost her only $500 and an ORAL SURGEON PULLED the last one. How can a dentist charge that much more than an oral surgeon I will never know. He also stated that she had "an infection from the last tooth pulled." He then prescribed an oral rinse for $57. If she really had an infection he should have prescribed an antibiotic. My mother was ALONE and had a tooth pulled. She was NOT supposed to get the tooth pulled without me being with her. She drove home alone AFTER this procedure which I think is "an ethical violation." She could have had complications and passed out behind the wheel. I am very disappointed with this dentist he should know better.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

I agree with others, he is terribly rude and makes you feel uncomfortable! I went in because I had facial pain. He sold me on adjusting my bite, completely took all my cusps away, I lost vertical and was left in horrible neck pain. To try to get my jaw and bite back to where it was before has been very challenging and very expensive. I have spent so much money on trying to fix what he has done to me that I have nothing left to replace the crowns he flattened out. When I confronted him on what he did he changed his mind and said instead I have mercury poisoning and that was due to Mercury under crowns. He has no idea what he is talking about, I had those crowns replaced and guess what Dr Sukel, I had no Mercury under them. He is a bad man just out for money!

Submitted December 18, 2015

flag | Submitted September 4, 2015

Ok so I think this guy is a mixed bag at best. I do not believe the diagnadent he does can tell a cavitation exists or not - a friend had good results with mercury filling removal, however this guy also trys to soak you well beyond these for as much as he can and is not cheap. My friend has had no problems nearly one decade later with diagnadent sensed "cavitys". I went in for a basic cavity filling. I refused x-rays they still did because I am insured and they said they had to be ethically responsible and do a new patient exam. I told them I only setup a cavity fill and they radiated me away in spite of my adament objections. They guy himself was a jerk. They told me they thought they should pull my tooth but cannot do it for two weeks and that it would be $500 with my 50% coverage from insurance which seems like highway robbery. They also kept telling me to come back for my mouth plan. Also he tried to tell me that plaque below the gumline is gum disease which is not true. It is plaque. Plain and simple. What a jerk. I am going to go back to another holistic dentist. Sir, if you read this you have no right to think you are a decent person trying to soak people in this manner. It is a rip-off worse than an auto shop because this is a human being and what you do implicates a certain permance. Perhaps you do not realize the financial strain and stress your manipulative arrogance is taxing onto other people. Perhaps you should retire. I think the good if any you have done is done.

Submitted July 9, 2015

My husband had been going to a very reputable dentist but wanted to go to,Dr. suckle about having some Mercury removed from his teeth. The next thing I know we are in an office having a consultation about how my husband has infections in his mouth and needs to have the majority of his teeth removed. The that work and the dentures the cost was over $25,000. I was amazed that his previous reputable dentist hadn't seen all of that. He did had 3 cavities filled but that along with the fancy X-rays came to $1400. We decided to get a second opinion from another holistic dentist in Hoffman Estates. He looked at the X-rays that Dr. surely had taken, which cost us $75 to get a copy of, exams my husband took X-rays of his own and determined he had 1 slight infection that could be treated. Thank goodness we got a second opinion or he would have gone through a lot of pain and suffering and spent a fortune for something he didn't need but that would have lined Dr. Sukel's pockets quite nicely. If you go there and you are told horror stories about what needs to be done GET A SECOND OPINION!!!

Submitted July 3, 2015

As others have mentioned, it appears that Dr. Sukel once had a reputable, cutting-edge practice, but has seemingly lost his holistic focus and enthusiasm for dentistry with integrity. I admit to having some significant issues in my mouth, but was stunned when my second appointment -- for a consultation to discuss the scope of the work he felt needed to be performed -- resulted in the office manager presenting a quote that totaled more than $23,000 of work, including the aforementioned "bite adjustment" that is not even a sensible long-term solution to adjust the bite. I was appalled that he would recommend such costly work and yet not even take 5 minutes of time to meet with me personally as this information was presented. I suggested to the office manager that this method of treatment for a new patient was unacceptable and unprofessional, in addition to coming off simply as a "money grab." She seemed surprised that I was calling this out, in addition to the fact that I was kept waiting for 45 minutes only to find out that they had not even taken time to type up an actual quote for the work. Personally, I feel like all of that is "staging" done on purpose to make you feel uncomfortable, rushed and backed into a corner, most likely with the hope that you will make a hasty decision and hand over massive amounts of cash for potentially unnecessary treatment. How do I know? Two days later, I went to a true holistic dentist who still has her enthusiasm for this work and her integrity. As I mentioned, I know I have issues and her recommendation was quite detailed and reasonable. The price for similar work, but without a root canal or expensive implants, was $14,000. This big price difference and her truly natural approach tells me that Dr. Sukel is misrepresenting his practice. He started out on a different path and for some reason has lost his true passion for holistic dentistry. I mostly feel sad for this man. He would be better off retiring than continuing this embarrassment. I strongly recommend that you reconsider before going to this dentist. Dr. Lina Garcia in Hoffman Estates is a much better choice.

Submitted April 30, 2015

They don't tell you about hundreds of dollars in strange add-ins on a normal first patient exam until you receive your bill and find out insurance doesn't cover made up diagnostic testing and a plethora of extra x-rays. Staff is kind, until you question strange costs and line items. They become rude and condescending once valid questions are raised. I was looking for a holistic dentist but was never explained my options or added cost for the homeopathic treatments until it was already done and billed. Look elsewhere or ask to see itemized costs before treatments. Even then, they told me that estimates are just that and can run higher, but this information was only given after I asked specific questions. When I saw how much I would be overcharged, I canceled the appointment and received another bill for $50.

Submitted April 17, 2015

Mixed feelings of this place. They do have the new high tech tools but YOU will pay for them. I have to say on my initial visit I was put off right away that the office is in an industrial park with factories and such around. Then I saw a huge purlple neon tooth glowing in the window. My gut told me this place is a rip off but I had to see someone. Rgith away first thing is full 3D xray that costs hundreds. Then while waiting in my chair I see on THEIR computer monitors and taped message saying "Make sure to get Xrays and MLR's on ALL patients with insurance". How tacky is that!! Then while leaving I find they are charging me an emergancy fee even though I didnt ask or say it was an emergancy. THEY told me they had a cancellation that day. So I agree with everyone that says beware that this is a insurance/money racket BUT with that said I do believe they have 2 qualified dentists. Too bad they are taking the low road

Submitted February 11, 2015

I was worried after reading the reviews. I was looking for a more natural dentist. I went in and had no problem. I had several cavities that was shown to me. I've gone back to have them fixed. My brother and his family have had a great experience too. I've never felt pressured. I've seen both Dr.'s they are both very knowledgeable.

Submitted November 10, 2014

Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr. Phillip P. Sukel's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "This dentist per my mother pushes x-rays. After she had x-rays this guy wanted her to get a $200 x-ray which she declined. My mom got a tooth pulled that cos..."

February 24, 2016
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "I agree with others, he is terribly rude and makes you feel uncomfortable! I went in because I had facial pain. He sold me on adjusting my bite, completely to..."

December 18, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Understanding, caring will to work with you but gives you all information up front. Helps with you insurance."

September 4, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Ok so I think this guy is a mixed bag at best. I do not believe the diagnadent he does can tell a cavitation exists or not - a friend had good results with merc..."

July 9, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "My husband had been going to a very reputable dentist but wanted to go to,Dr. suckle about having some Mercury removed from his teeth. The next thing I know w..."

July 3, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "As others have mentioned, it appears that Dr. Sukel once had a reputable, cutting-edge practice, but has seemingly lost his holistic focus and enthusiasm for de..."

April 30, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "They don't tell you about hundreds of dollars in strange add-ins on a normal first patient exam until you receive your bill and find out insurance doesn't cover..."

April 17, 2015
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "Mixed feelings of this place. They do have the new high tech tools but YOU will pay for them. I have to say on my initial visit I was put off right away that th..."

February 11, 2015
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "I was worried after reading the reviews. I was looking for a more natural dentist. I went in and had no problem. I had several cavities that was shown to me..."

November 10, 2014
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Horrible experience. They are money hungry and want you to get services you dont need! For one filling for my husband and son they wanted over 1200 dollars. My ..."

November 4, 2014
  • First Name changed from "Phillip" to "Phillip P."

October 20, 2013