You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Katherine Wambera

Dr Wambera is my hero. If she had not advocated for my son we would not have the genetic diagnosis that we now know effects several members of our family. When no one else listened she did. When no one else believed us about his strange symptoms (his disease has 6 cases worldwide) she did and always respected us as the expert on our child. I am forever grateful for her always putting the patient first. We have met many doctors and can say she is one of the very very best. Thank you Dr Wambera for fighting for our family and our diagnosis. I will never forget your kindness <3 Jonah's Mom

flag | Submitted April 2, 2016

Male staff member is so rude. Very unprofessional and innappropriate! We had an appointment in Vancouver worth the neurosurgeon and we could not connect with the clinic at all before we left. He was to call me and never did. When he finally called on a Sunday he yelled into my machine that I was hard to get a hold of and he has sick. My machine cuts off after a time and he ran out of time before leaving me when to get my MRI disk to take to Van. We are crossing our fingers for the trip tomorrow. Also did not give us the msp sheet so we are on the hook for the ferry trip too. Uggg. She seems okay but we haven't much to do with her yet. My daughter seems boring to her I guess.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

Dr. Katherine Wambera's response
My staff member was not "yelling" he had laryngitis and his voice was hoarse, which he apologized for in the message. He also apologized for not having been able to call you on Saturday, also his day off, due to his having no voice. The office phone logs show repeated attempts to return your call earlier in the week during working hours and no return call from you until right before closing on Friday afternoon. He went into the office on a day off, Sunday, despite being ill, to make a final attempt to reach you before your appointment in Vancouver. You did get the replacement disk (to replace the one misplaced by neurosurgery) that he had left for you before going to Vancouver, as well as the TAPS form. I am sorry if you feel that my assistant's attempts to help you were unsatisfactory. I am also sorry that you feel that your daughter seems boring to me, I care a great deal about all my patients.

Submitted March 15, 2016

I would not suggest this doctor, major problems with staff.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

Although Dr. Wambera is a wonderful and knowledgable doctor, I have had nothing but trouble from her office lately. There is a high level of disorganization and very unprofessional and messy environment.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2016

Dr. Katherine Wambera's response
Unfortunately my office has been understaffed recently due to illness and a member of my staff leaving to resume her studies. My assistant and I have been working late nights and weekends to try to keep the paperwork done as quickly as possible. I apologize for any delays or appearance of a lack of organization. I have recently hired a new secretary and she is in the process of being trained. I am hoping that things will be running smoothly again as soon as possible. Unfortunately when I have 2 staff members off sick, the one person remaining does not always have time to pick up and organize the waiting room toys between patients.

Submitted March 15, 2016

We have been seeing Dr. Wambera for just over a year. My son suffers from prolonged febrile seizures and break through seizures. She is straight forward which i appreciate immensely. I don't want anyone who will sugar coat or pull the wool over my eyes. She has made stop ins to the hospital to check on my son after full days at her office and always squeezes us in when we need to be. She is so focused on helping us! Thanks!!

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

Great doctor, we are going to bc children's hospital instead though due to unprofessional male staff member. I do not want my child around that rude and disrespectful example. He should not be employed there as she is loosing patients because of him.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2016

Dr. Wambera herself has been professional and knowledgeable but her male assistant has been nothing but exceptionally rude and lacking any kind of human trait that you would expect someone to have working with families and children. He is rude, extremely unpleasant and seems to think it is acceptable to talk to people like they are below him. He is the only negative thing about the practice and is most clearly in the wrong profession. He should maybe work in data entry where he only has to communicate through a screen with no human contact. Just a truly awful individual.

Submitted December 9, 2015

My daughter has gait issues and we were referred to Dr. Wambera - it was the best thing that could have happened to our child. Thanks to her, we were able to isolate the problem and have renewed confidence in finding a diagnosis. Here's what our experience was like: When we arrived, her assistant took us to an interview room where he asked a series of questions and took detailed notes. This process took about 30 minutes. The assistant then led us into Dr. Wambera's office where he summarized all of his notes to her and asked us to verify his account. Dr. Wambera then spent over an hour with us, asking us additional questions while looking at our daughter's behavior. I could tell that she was highly concentrated during this process. She then proceeded to tell us about the possible causes for our daughter's condition, ordered some more tests, and filled out a referral form to BC Children's Hospital. Before we left, she answered all of our questions in detail. What was amazing is what happened next: We got some extra tests done that she ordered and received a call the next day from our pediatrician who told us that some of the results are concerning . We went to see the pediatrician who told us that it was quite amazing that Dr. Wambera ordered these specific tests as they were unusual for a child of our age. The pediatrician also told us how she was texting with Dr. Wambera over the weekend about our daughter, which made us feel well taken care of. I cannot emphasize enough how professional Dr. Wambera is and how great our experience has been. Some of the comments on this page paint a different picture of her - to us, she was caring and helpful. What some people may interpret as "rude" and "non caring" is actually quite the opposite in my opinion: While Dr. Wambera wasn't the most chit-chatty person in the world, she is more focused on finding a diagnosis. You could almost see smoke coming from her brain, that's how hard she was thinking. Maybe other people expect a greater emphasis on social cohesion. For us and for our daughter, we are happy to socialize outside the doctor's office and expect focus, attention, and the good intuitions from a doctor - and that's what we got from Dr. Wambera.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2015

Do not expect a caring environment at all. While doctor Wambera may be knowledgeable she has no bedside manner. Her office policies are terrible and male staff member is beyond rude. Dr. Wambera is a pediatric neurologist, why on earth would she choose this field? Children and their parents need better treatment for their medical care, particularly when they are seeing a neurologist!

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Dr. Wambera is very knowledgeable and has been proactive in finding the correct medication for our daughter. We have seen a few child neurologists and due to relocation have to drive 3 hours to see her. Besides weighing our daughter she has not spoken to her which has made it frustrating for a full day trip. We had one unfortunate situation where we lost our perscription and called her office and they said a fax had been sent to our pharmacy. We drove the 40 minutes to our pharmacy to be told the fax said "get the gp to send a copy". We called and asked about the fax and they said it was their policy to have the gp send the prescription and did not seem to understand why it was a problem for us as to why they didn't tell us that on the phone. Thankfully our gps office was helpful and sent a fax immediately, but it turned out to be an old prescription and they did not have an updated one from dr. Wambera.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2015

Dr. Katherine Wambera's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• English
  • French

• University of Ottawa (Grad. 1995)
  • University of British Columbia (Grad. 2004)
  • Queen's University Kingston (Grad. 1993)
  • Regis College University of Toronto (Grad. 1994)

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Wambera is my hero. If she had not advocated for my son we would not have the genetic diagnosis that we now know effects several members of our family. Whe..."

April 2, 2016
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Male staff member is so rude. Very unprofessional and innappropriate! We had an appointment in Vancouver worth the neurosurgeon and we could not connect with..."

March 14, 2016
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "I would not suggest this doctor, major problems with staff. "

March 8, 2016
  • A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "Although Dr. Wambera is a wonderful and knowledgable doctor, I have had nothing but trouble from her office lately. There is a high level of disorganization and..."

March 3, 2016
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "We have been seeing Dr. Wambera for just over a year. My son suffers from prolonged febrile seizures and break through seizures. She is straight forward which ..."

February 1, 2016
  • A new 3-star rating has been posted. "Great doctor, we are going to bc children's hospital instead though due to unprofessional male staff member. I do not want my child around that rude and disresp..."

January 9, 2016
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Wambera herself has been professional and knowledgeable but her male assistant has been nothing but exceptionally rude and lacking any kind of human trait ..."

December 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My daughter has gait issues and we were referred to Dr. Wambera - it was the best thing that could have happened to our child. Thanks to her, we were able to is..."

August 28, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Do not expect a caring environment at all. While doctor Wambera may be knowledgeable she has no bedside manner. Her office policies are terrible and male sta..."

May 11, 2015
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Wambera is very knowledgeable and has been proactive in finding the correct medication for our daughter. We have seen a few child neurologists and due to r..."

January 20, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "We have been seeing Dr Wambera for 3 years for our sons seizures. She has always been very upfront and great at explaining detail right down to showing us the i..."

December 12, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "The male secretary should not work at this office."

October 22, 2014
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "This doctor is great, although the man in the office was very rude during my appointment and while I was checking in. Answered confidential messages over the ph..."

September 18, 2014
  • 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

November 10, 2012
  • Accepting New Patients changed to "Y"

September 18, 2012
  • First Name changed from "K" to "Katherine"

December 22, 2011