Ratings for Dr. John Esdaile

I am happy with my Dr. JHON ESDAILE ,because he trea t me like a human and not like #of pacient.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2017

My first visit with Dr Esdaile was outstanding. Great personality, relatable, empathetic and kind. Combined with his incredible record of research, I felt lucky to find someone this qualified in Vancouver to treat my early OA of the knee and hand. He listened carefully and was easy to talk to and after a thorough examination was forthright about my disease and self-care options. I feel confident and hopeful that I will be able to live well with my OA and continue to enjoy my life, thanks in large part knowing I have Dr Esdaile on my health care team.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2017

I am finally speaking out about this doctor. I came in with newly diagnosed arthritis in my knees. He had a student doctor with him, I was not asked permission to have the student present, but the student was there the whole time and was an audience to my horrible experience. First thing he said was that I was "grossly obese" as he put his arms out to mimic my size. When he had me stand on the scale he announced uncomfortably loudly my weight (the waiting room is right there full of people). He made me sit and listen to him record a voice message going on about the treatment required and how obese he thought I was. He asked me when was the last time I could touch my toes (I can actually rest the palms of my hands on the tops of my feet without a problem). He said to me that if I don't lose weight, that by the time I was 70 I would need a walker, and then looked me up and down and said "if you live that long". Even the student gasped at him when he said that. You know Dr. Esdaile, it's perfectly ok and logical to let a patient know that their weight is an issue and to offer and encourage help for that. But to outright humiliate and bully a patient is awful. I avoided doctors for over a year after that.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

I first met Dr. Esdaile in March of this year (2017). I am so grateful for his help. He is very knowledgeable, and listens to what you are saying. Dr. Esdaile got right on to my issues with DISH disease and has seen me twice since March of this year. I feel I am at last in truly good hands, someone who does know about this terrible disease . I would tell anyone interested to go see him that he has what is needed, KNOWLEDGE.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Put my mind at ease, assured me my condition is quite manageable with physio and meds

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

This is a great DR and is very personable. He explains things when asked and notifies other Drs that are involved. He likes to keep all in the loop. This great dr helped me to get back on my feet when i was destined for a wheel chair. Thanks Dr E !!

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

I am so grateful for all the excellent help and care from Dr. Esdale..Have been looking for someone like him for years.. So Smart, personable and down to earth...I appreciate him so bery much. he has helped me a great deal..excellent caring staff.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2013

Dr. Esdaile is most definitely one of the best doctors I have ever had, and wouldn't want to change. When he was away in Calgary, I saw one of his associates and was not impressed; I was elated to be able to see Dr. Esdaile again when he returned from Calgary. I am a complicated patient and he always sees me long enough to take care of my concerns. He also keeps my other doctors in the loop so that they are all on the same page, which is very good for me. I do not mind being seen by a medical student or resident (in addition to seeing Dr. Esdaile) - they have to learn somewhere, Dr. Esdaile knows that I am very happy to help students learn. He treats me like a colleague who works in partnership with him, rather than submissive or uncooperative patients can be.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2013

I am very sorry to see the change in him since he closed his practice at the Mary Pack Center and re-opened the new clinic. I have seen him for years and this change in clinics has appeared to change his attitude toward his patients. He is always in a hurry now and rushes you out the door as soon as possible. In the past, he would take time inquiring about your life, your symptoms in detail, asked if you needed any refills, and went the extra mile to find resources for you - even those that were out of his domain! Now, none on that...and a lot of negatives. Once again, it's unfortunate that he has lost his caring and human side - he is not the same Dr. Esdaile I admired and raved about until a few months ago.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2013

Staff seemed to be in training. I never got the chance to speak DIRECTLY to the doctor. Instead it seemed that he was talking AT me. He blew the chance to undercover a degenerative problem in my spine. Instead he told me, and my insurance company, that i was simply overweight. This has caused me to have to go into appeals for YEARS. Since I had waited a year to see him, he didn't bother to order new tests that would have uncovered an underlying condition. Sloppy, arrogant, lazy.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2012