Dr. Patrick Culligan

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Patrick Culligan

I did my research when I finally discovered that the type of doctor I needed was a Urogynecologist. Everywhere I turned, Dr. Culligan's name kept rising to the top. I had an "insider" at New York-Presbyterian hospital first tell me that he was the only one to see...then I asked several rabbis independently - all put Dr. Culligan at the top of their list. Then I asked a few friends who had also found him. Once I saw him as a patient for the first time, I could see why he is so well thought of. He is kind and gentle and he listens intently. His exam was thorough, and he was not pushing any particular treatment like surgery. I finally did decide to have surgery to fix my prolapse, and it went very well. Everything happened just like he told me it would, and he even gave me his personal cell number to use as needed after surgery (I was told that he does that for everyone!) I'm so glad he's here in the city, and I highly recommend Dr. Culligan.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2019

Making the decision to go see Dr. Culligan was one of the best decisions I have made. The quality of my life prior to seeing Dr. Culligan was filled with anxiety, frustration, and loneliness. I made the choice after 4 years of having two prolapses that I needed to finally consult a doctor about this. After doing extensive research of the best urogynecologists in NYC Dr. Culligan's background, reputation, and patient reviews (all extremely positive) had my attention. However, after viewing his videos explaining prolapses and how he treats them sold me. He seemed so genuine and knowledgeable that I was anxious to see if he could help me. Upon meeting him, I was not disappointed! He was very patient and listened to my story. I told him how uncomfortable I was, how going to the bathroom became a huge chore and caused a lot of frustration. Since I have a unique set of circumstances (birth defect that affects my bowels and bladder) I truly didn't know if anyone could help me. But I was elated when Dr. Culligan said he would reach out to some colleagues and do some research and think of the best option for me. He said I was a challenge and he loves challenges. Hearing that was the greatest compliment to me. Other doctors had said I was "difficult" or "complicated." I knew Dr. Culligan would try anything to help me and I was right. He performed surgery 6 weeks ago and it was the "best" decision I made!! The bathroom is no longer my nemesis. I can sit comfortablely and go to the bathroom with ease. I know that time will tell if this surgery was a success, but I can tell you as of now, I feel so much better!! I also know that if I encounter any problems that I will be fully supported by Dr. Culligan and his staff. Among the extensive knowledge and experience he has, he is a very gentle and genuine doctor who listens and cares for each patient as a unique case. I would highly recommend Dr. Culligan to all my family and friends who may be going through something similar. I would be remiss if I also didn't recognize Dr. Culligan's equally dedicated and caring nurse practioner, Irina Kats. She immediately put my mind at ease during my first visit. After my surgery, Ms. Kats called me (on a Saturday from her home) to see how I was feeling. When I did have an issue after my surgery, Ms. Kats was the liaison between me and the Dr. She made sure I came back for a few follow up visits to make sure everything was going well. I am grateful for her compassion because she truly put my mind at ease so many times. She is a godsend and such an integral part of Dr. Culligan's success. I am truly blessed to have found such a dedicated and caring surgeon and nurse. "The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease." William Osler

flag | Submitted August 30, 2018

flag | Submitted August 30, 2018

Recently had surgery. Had a wonderful outcome. Could not be more pleased. Dr. Culligan spent a great deal of time during my consultation explaining my options. I chose a hysterectomy. Had surgery two weeks ago. Almost no pain. Dr. Culligan and his staff as well as Cornell Weill were wonderful. .

flag | Submitted June 26, 2018

How inspired I was to choose Dr. Patrick Culligan MD to take care of my problems.He surpassed all my expectations with his knowledge ,kindness, patience and willingness to help. He is also a beautiful human being. I had same experience with his assistant, Ms.Irina Katz who shares the same philosophy of being helpful, patient, caring,. great teacher and equally knowledgeable . Dr.P.Culligan and his assistant make this team a rewarding experience. 5 STARS M.D. and 5 STARS ASSISTANT.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2018

I searched years for a Urogynecologist and was lucky to find such a gentle, caring physician. Dr, Culligan exudes confidence, and I was very comfortable as he explained all the procedures. I am three weeks post op and feel like a new woman. I did not have to use any prescription pain killers once I left the hospital, and I feel great. Dr. Culligan's Nurse Practioner, Irina Katz, and staff are wonderful too. I would highly recommend Dr. Culligan and his team.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

It is a shame that I need to travel 1-1/2 hours from the Hudson Valley to get into the city to find the right doctor....but it is well worth it!! I have consulted with doctors in my area and a couple in the city but continued to seek out the best. I knew immediately that Dr. Culligan was the right physician for me! Not only did he have all the soft skills....great demeanor, took his time to carefully review my history, listen to me and my concerns, but took the time to ensure I understood my condition more clearly. He is the ONLY physician that actually described my problem as being two separate (yet somewhat connected) issues. I can hardly believe that nobody previous to Dr. Culligan recommended medication....medication....which I could have been taking 3 years ago! I saw immediate positive results by the 2nd day on this medication. I may still need to pursue surgery going forward, but for now, Dr. Culligan is seeking to heal as best as possible, one issue, before we pursue any surgery. To think I lived with this problem, and allowed my condition to get worse because I was holding off on surgery I thought I needed to fix it all. I already see such a great difference in my daily life and am having a more normal quality of life. Thank you Dr. Culligan! I am confident that I am in the right hands. Is staff, too, has been a pleasure to work with. From the front office reception area, to Geraldine in the back office, to Irina...I have had prompt, professional and compassionate dialogue and assistance. I am so grateful, already. Thank you all.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

I recently had surgery by Dr. Culligan. He is an outstanding doctor, knowledgeable and professional. His bedside manner was outstanding. He is a caring and dedicated individual. His staff, particularly Irina Katz was wonderful. The robotic surgery that Dr. Culligan performed was successful. I am grateful that I feel like a "normal woman" again. Submitted September 27, 2017

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

Dr. Culligan and his entire staff (in particular his NP Irena Katz) made me feel comfortable immediately and throughout. He thoroughly explained my options and patiently calmed my fears. He performed the surgery I needed and although I was concerned about the outcome, as of now, (2 weeks post surgery), things are going well.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

Dr Culligan is incredibly knowledgeable, professional, and has excellent bedside manner. I highly recommend him. I recently had surgery with dr Culligan and I can honestly say, thanks to him and his wonderful and professional staff, I got my old self back!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Dr. Patrick Culligan 's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Patrick Culligan, MD, FACOG, FACS, graduated from Georgia Tech in 1989 and from the Mercer University School of Medicine in 1993. After completing his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology with the Greenville Hospital System / University of South Carolina, he went on to a fellowship in Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery at the Evanston Continence Center, Northwestern University Medical School where he trained extensively in the surgical and non-surgical management of all pelvic floor disorder such as pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence. Dr. Culligan’s first practice after fellowship training was with the University of Louisville Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. While in Louisville, he co-founded a Board-certified fellowship program in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (aka ‘Urogynecology’). He directed that program and became well known in his field for his skills in advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques and his high quality clinical research studies. In Louisville, Dr. Culligan became one of the first Urogynecologists in the U.S. to regularly perform the sacrocolpopexy operation laparoscopically In 2004, Dr. Culligan moved to New Jersey where he founded the Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery for The Atlantic Health System. During his nearly 13 years with Atlantic Health System, he established a Board-approved fellowship program and published over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts regarding his clinical research which is primarily focused on ways to improve and/or teach minimally invasive surgical techniques for the correction of prolapse and incontinence. At Atlantic Health System, Dr. Culligan also developed a particular expertise in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery, and he has become a world renowned teacher of those techniques. Although he is widely known for his surgical techniques, Dr. Culligan always tries to find a non-surgical approach for his patients. In fact, he was selected by the prestigious journal Obstetrics & Gynecology to author a peer-reviewed manuscript entitled "Non-Surgical Management of Pelvic Organ Prolapse"which has since become required reading for all Board certified OB-Gyn doctors in the U.S. Dr. Culligan sees female patients for evaluation and treatment of a wide variety of pelvic floor disorders and urogynecologic conditions conditions, including urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, fecal incontinence, frequent urinary tract infections, urinary urgency, fistulas, complications of vaginal mesh or slings requiring mesh removal, labial hypertrophy, and various complex gynecologic conditions. . Dr. Culligan’s clinical philosophy is centered around patient education and personalized treatment paths. Dr. Patrick Culligan is the Director of Urogynecology and The Center for Female Pelvic Health within the Department of Urology at Weill Cornell Medicine. The Center is located at 525 East 68th Street, on the ninth floor of the F building (F9-West). If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Culligan, please call 212-746-4600.

• English

• Mercer University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)

• Uterine prolapse
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Posterior prolapse (rectocele)

• Castle Connolly TOP DOCTOR - New York Metro Area