Ratings for Dr. Curtis Ciona

I wouldn't let this guy cut a tomato much less operate on me. My wife has been waiting for months for a motility test and has called and emailed numerous times and has gotten nothing. Guys like him are the reason it health care sucks

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

Dr. Ciona was the surgeon for my father's colon cancer removal in July 2015. The next day my dad suffered internal bleeding due to the surgery and had to undergo major emergency surgery in which we nearly lost him. After my father stabilized, Dr. Ciona was pleased to report that he had removed all of the cancer and that it had been stage 1, which meant not needing to go to the cross cancer institute for chemotherapy or radiation. 25 months later my father was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal liver cancer (the cancer had spread from colon to liver, and is inoperable) and has been given a short prognosis. His oncologist at the Cross Cancer institute asked why my father had not been referred to them after the first cancer surgery. She noted that his records indicated an initial stage 1 cancer diagnosis, but that it had been changed to stage 2 after the surgery at which point he SHOULD have been referred to the Cross Cancer institute for further treatment. My father was never notified he had stage 2 cancer. Because of this negligence, my father is paying the ultimate price. Please, if you receive treatment from Dr. Ciona, seek a second opinion. Based on similar reviews here, I would avoid Dr. Ciona at all costs.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2017

Dr. Ciona did my cholecystectomy in July. I found him to be very polite and professional during my initial exam and I had no problems post op. I always felt like I was in very capable hands with him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

I actually have copied another post as it is exactly what happened to me in 2009. My husband went to him at the same time and he received the banding without sedation and nearly fainted from the pain. I am forever scared and deal with his malpractice every day. Here it is again!! "Dr. Ciona is an arrogant ans uncaring. He destroyed my sphincter muscle during hemorrhoid surgery, told me none of the risks, created anal fissures and then wouldn't return a call when I said there was something very wrong...I never received a follow-up call after surgery from his office, and then he was on holidays. I called numerous times to get help but the said it was normal to be in pain. I told them it was more than pain! His staff didn't know what they were doing also. It took me three months to be able to work again and I am still in pain to this day. I went to another surgeon and the look on his face when he saw the JOB that was done to me he just shook his head. There is no way to fix me . In my experience, Ciona does everything the most painful way he can with no care for your comfort.He bands hemorrhoids without sedation even if you are screaming and crying in pain...no big deal to him. No Sorry , are you okay? I should have ran out when that happened but I was too naive, intimidated , shocked!! Find someone else if you want professional care." I didn't want to give any more energy to this than I had to. He hurt me...not a good guy.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

I had a fistulotomy consult (November) and surgery (February) with Dr Ciona. The consult was very quick, minimal physical exam (thank god), quick answers, reassuring of the outcomes and after care. Day of the surgery I felt a bit shorted by my minimal conversation with him, but the staff that day were good. Definitely felt like a 'take a number' situation. Did not see him after the surgery same day, nor have I received any follow-up from the office 25 days later

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

He did my hemerrhoid surgery in 2014 and to this day, I wish I'd never met him and I wish I'd researched him on this site before the surgery. I still don't know how it managed to take me over 6 weeks to heal from a simple surgery and now looks like I have to find another Dr for a complication that evolved from the surgery. I do not think he has any real competence when it comes to surgery. He did not discuss what to expect or any post operative care. I had do many questions which he didn't bother to anticipate and address. I would not recommend him for any kind of surgical procedure whatsoever, no matter how simple. I don't get the feeling that he really cares about his patients and he's quick to suggest another surgery if you complain.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

18 months ago I was suffering from an infection and was generally unwell. I spent about 1 week receiving IV outpatient treatment. I visited his clinic at 5pm and almost immediately Dr Ciona had determined my infection had spread and become worse and I required immediate emergency surgery. I was immediately taken to the Operating Room and found out I was suffering from Necrotizing Fasciatis (Flesh Eating Bacteria). I was a mess and very frightened. Dr Ciona re-assured me and promised to phone my parents once the surgery was completed - which he did. He was extremely helpful and answered all my questions the following days in the hospital. The follow up visits over the following months were great - he was pleasant, caring, and reassuring. I am alive today because of his quick thinking, diagnosis, and seeing me at the end of what I assumed a very long day.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2016

They originally lost my referral so I waited month longer then expected. It is impossible to speak with someone at the clinic. I finally had my surgery only to leave the hospital with no instructions and no follow up. I have called and left numerous messages and have yet to hear back from anyone from that office. Its been one week post op and I am in alot of pain and still have no follow up appointment. He seems like a good Doctor but I am not impressed with after care and the staff.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016

I went in for a consult/minor procedure. I found the staff and Dr. Ciona to be very professional, pleasant and efficient. I did not wait, was in and out within 1/2 hour. Everything was explained to me in detail. All in all a good experience for a somewhat embarrassing situation (hemorrhoid). I would see him again.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

Two years ago I had booked a surgery with Dr Ciona after a routine physical that resulted in learning I had 2 umbilical hernias. he morning of the surgery I noticed a lump in my groin and he mentioned he could repair the now third hernia. Not one of the three healed successfully. the buldge in my abs is three times bigger than before and I can feel the mesh repair in my groin through the skin. Trying to ask him questions was a nightmare and his staff hung up on me twice while I was trying to follow up on why it was healing the way it was. I still suffer from the issues of the surgery. I finally mustered up enough to go and see hi again to ask questions and foolishly booked another surgery with him. But get this..... he says he didn't know about 3 hernias to be fixed only two. and the reason the third wasn't repaired was due to the fact he didn't have knowledge about it. He also mentioned I can feel the mesh due to how skinny I am and if I weighed more it wouldn't be able to be felt. I am aware the amount of faces this man sees but not to remember anything about me at all seems kinda lame. His staff sucks and he messed up my surgery and I still deal with it everyday. I sugget a second opinion perhaps?

flag | Submitted September 7, 2015