Ratings for Dr. James W. O'Brien

Although it seems like Dr. O'Brien has good rating, my experience with his practice was terrible. The doctor himself seemed to be caring and pleasant, but I rarely got a word with him. I had swallowed a razor sharp object in my food. My stomach and intestines were constantly in spasm and cramping. After an endoscopy they waited 1 full year for a follow up. I saw the same PA that I had seen on my initial visit. However she was now completely unaware of what had happened to me. Apparently the whole reason I came in was NOT entered on my charts!? I told her the details and about the symptoms and pains that continued throughout the past year, For some reason she got short-tempered and left the room, saying "we're done". Of course this ended any hopes I had of diagnosing or treating my problem. I have healed somewhat over time, but will likely never feel truly good again. To add more insult I was over-billed for a 25 minute exam with the Dr. for 10 minutes with the cranky PA!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2012

Dr. O'Brien really lives up to the other ratings he has received. He was punctual, truly listened to what I had to say, and was willing to work within my lifestyle to figure out what we should do for treatment (I have Ulcerative Colitis). It's nice to see a Gastro who seems to be really passionate about his work, and really seems to care for his patients. His office staff all seemed to love their jobs, and they had nothing but positive things to say about working for Dr. O'Brien.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2010

Dr. O'Brien is the best doctor I have ever seen. I don't usually care about doctors as most just run you through like cattle. Not Dr. O'Brien. He is VERY thorough, cares about everyone of his patients, works tiressly. I know he sounds too good to be true. He really is a great doctor. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do an endoscopy or colonoscopy.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2009

Dr. O'Brien makes a very good impression. He is exactly what one would hope for in a doctor. He has called me at home on his own time when I had a concern about medication. He called personally to give test results. Takes his time and answers questions. It doesn't hurt that he went to Duke Medical either.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

I wouldn't normally give someone a "perfect" rating, but Dr. O'Brien really is phenomenal, as is his staff. He is one of the most caring doctors I've encountered, always willing to listen completely and having a very gentle but serious manner. He's great for general appointments and his outpatient procedures (endoscopies and colonoscopies) have never left me with any of the symptoms you might normally expect from others. He is extremely well regarded by other medical professionals in the area. He is the first doctor who has ever really listened to me, and that sense of teamwork has led to us finally getting to the root of my problems. You really can work with him, which I find to be rare among doctors. His staff, including nurses and front-desk employees, are right on the mark every time. While I can't say I'd ever be "happy" to visit a GI, he certainly takes the dread out of the experience. His diagnosis and subsequent treatment have literally saved my life, so I fully recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2008

Dr. James W. O'Brien's Credentials

• Duke Univ Sch Of Med, Durham Nc 27710 (Grad. 1991)

Top Hospitals in Manchester, CT