Ratings for Dr. James Wittig

The doctor advised I would need to do a cross test and have two pints of blood taken out before surgery and his staff would handle making the necessary appointments. The doctors office called and I was given a surgery date then advised I would receive a call for the cross test which required two pints of blood to be taken and pretesting for my surgery. When I received the call from the hospital for the pretest I inquired about the blood which needed to be taken for surgery and was advised by Hackensack hospital they no longer offered that service. I called the doctors office and advised them of what I was told and they said they would call the hospital to make sure it was done. On the day of my pretesting and blood work I asked where the two pints of blood would be drawn and again I was told they do not offer that service. I called the doctors office again and informed them the blood was not taken out. They advised me the hospital did all the test needed. I called again to see what I needed to do to direct donate my blood for surgery and was advised again that the hospital obtained all the blood they needed. I again advised them the hospital no longer offered that service and only a few vials of blood was taken. The doctors office placed me on hold and called the hospital who advised them they do not offer that service. I was given a number for a blood donation center so I can call and set it up. The donation center advised they normally receive orders from the doctors office not the patent as a physician order is required. I inquired if I obtained a physicians order would I be able to donate two pints of blood in one day due to my surgery date being the following week. I was advised it was not possible and the blood donation center informed me to provide the doctors office with her name and direct number. I called the doctors office again and gave them the name and number of the person I spoke to so they can contact them to see what can be done. I did not receive a call back from the doctors so I contacted them again and they acted like this was my issue and they had nothing to do with it. They tried to reschedule my surgery then I asked who would handle to make sure this didn't happen again. I was told they are only the surgeons office and I would have to handle everything else myself. Needless to say I did not reschedule my surgery. I really liked the doctor and wish the staff would have paid more attention or listened to my concerns. As a patent the doctors office should be handling everything not leaving up to the patent to do before surgery. I wonder what would have happened on the day of surgery when no one would have been able to locate the two pints of blood they were sure the hospital had for the surgery. I would like for Dr. Wittig to call me. Evelyn Solis

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr. Wittig's excellent reputation precedes him. More awards and honors than you can count. But aside from his tremendous talent, it is his warmth and compassion for his patients that truly distinguishes him. He has a wonderful staff who are caring, hard working and accessible. Together they have created a wonderful website (tumor surgery.org) that has reliable, up to date information and patient instruction. Additionally, I found HUMC amazing in every phase of my treatment from my first X-ray to post op recovery. I am so lucky to have found this doctor and this practice! They truly take good care of their patients!

flag | Submitted July 2, 2017

Excellent front office, which is helpful and responsive. I can't say enough. As for Doctor Wittig, he is someone who is knowledgeable and an expert in his field.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Dr. Wittig doesn't have a bedside manner because he never saw me while I was in the hospital. He sent his staff to see me even though his office is adjacent to the hospital and my family members saw him around.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

Dr. Wittig was referred to us by our doctor in Turkey, who is a very senior orthopedist, a retired medical school Professor, and former chief commander of the Turkish Army Corps Medical Academy. He had studied in the US and spent much time working at internationally known cancer centers in the US including NY area. Our Turkish doctor had removed a tumor from our son’s leg which was diagnosed as ganglion at first, but the pathology revealed it to be a kind of myxoide liposarcoma. He advised us that our son would need to have a second surgery, which would probably need to be followed with chemo and/or radio therapy to be further confirmed by an oncologist. A very rare tumor, only 1/1.000.000 is diagnosed on 17 year-old children. We visited each and every well-known cancer center in Turkey, and every physician and oncologist we could find in order to save life of our son. We received contradictory advice from many doctors. We were totally confused and we asked our first doctor to advise us about treatment opportunities outside of Turkey. He told us that he had reviewed the global medical practice for liposarcoma and he came to the opinion that Dr. Wittig was likely the only physician who could handle the further treatment of our son as well as or better than himself. He also told us that if we were going to continue looking for anyone other than Dr. Wittig then he would insist that we continue the treatment with him. We came to Hackensack and from our initial meeting with Dr. Wittig we felt extremely safe and confident for the first time since learning the details about our sons’ illness almost 3 months earlier. He performed a second surgery and cleaned the tumor with minimum damage to my son’s leg. He advised us not to apply radio therapy and risk further damage on my son’s skin, bones, and muscles, which was contrary to the treatment advice we had been given by several reputable University Hospitals and several oncologists in our country. Now, our son is in a supervisory period and it seems that everything is going well towards his recovery. He has returned to his rowing team as well as his other athletic and social activities without any problem and according to the recovery schedule that Dr. Wittig provided. The professionalism of Dr. Wittig and his clinic staff and the care we had at the hospital was amazing. At every stage of my son’s treatment at his clinic, before and after the surgery, we prayed to thank God for allowing us to meet Dr. Wittig and have the chance to have our son treated by such a gifted doctor, whose dedication to medicine and science can be seen by looking in eyes his. We cannot offer enough thanks to his wonderful team including the other doctors, nurses and office staff.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

Dr. Wittig is what you would hope a doctor would be. He is skilled beyond all others in his field an lives up to all expectations. Because of him my arm was saved when a previous doctor was planning its removal. His personal charm is found in his deep concern and care for his patients. His staff is a great support to his office, with special attention always received from Helen. Thank you all!

flag | Submitted November 21, 2016

Dr, Wittig and his fine staff of doctors and nurses helped me through a most difficult time. He is caring, competent and kind and works methodically with his team to provide everything that a patient may need. He is a skilled surgeon whose entire crew has become like family. Working with Hackensack Medical Center I was cared for on a daily basis by Erin, Jennifer and Connie who updated Dr. Wittig on my progress and helped me through a rough patch. I trusted Dr. Wittig with my life and will be forever grateful that I did.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Dr. Wittig and his entire staff were wonderful. I cannot say enough wonderful things about them. His receptionist Erin got me an appointment very quickly. Helen, his nurse, spent a great deal of time on the phone with me to ease my fear and anxiety. Both physician assistants, Connie and Erin were so helpful. Dr. Wittig himself spent a great deal of time with me and thoroughly explained everything. Thank goodness for this office.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2016

I wholeheartedly echo the praises written by others. Dr. Wittig is truly a man with integrity, professionalism, talent and has a huge heart. His entire staff are the same. They guide you and help you with every step. Dr. Wittig is truly a one if a kind. There are not many doctors out there who care as deeply about his patients as he and his staff. I count my blessing everyday that he is my sons doctor. His reputation is well deserved.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2016

Absolute best in the field. Provided outstanding care and follow up

flag | Submitted June 11, 2016

Dr. James Wittig's Credentials

• New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Hackensack, NJ