Ratings for Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein

The excellent ENT specialist at my community hospital, Abington Hospital, referred me to Dr. Weinstein immediately after he removed by lymph node and diagnosed me with a head/neck P-16-positive squamous cell carcinoma, likely located in my tonsil. I am so thankful for this referral to UPenn! Dr. Weinstein is the best in the world at what he does –– one of the few and most experienced who can offer a surgery-only solution to early tonsil cancer. Though the two robotic surgeries that I underwent with him and his team were not easy to go through, he saved me from having to have radiation therapy to the throat (which can sometimes permanently damage nerves related to speech and swallowing) or possible chemotherapy. More than two years later, I am feeling great and better than ever, am cancer free, and am enjoying only benefits and virtually no residual effects. Dr. Weinstein is a cool and super-sharp dude but a very busy man. He is a rock star in his field, so don’t go to him expecting him to spend a ton of time at your bedside. His able team of fellows takes care of that. Don’t expect him to always be running on time for your follow-up appointments. He may be spending an hour or more with someone just in front of you on the schedule who is newly diagnosed with cancer, just like he did with you when you first came to him and received his reassuring care. Be thankful when he always comes in the door with a group of post-graduate physician fellows from around the world wanting to learn his approach, and then explains your case to them. It’s proof that you’ve found care at the very top. His nurses, nurse practitioners, and O.R. team are excellent. True pro’s. Be glad and know that he and his staff are always ready to answer your questions and guide you to your best chance of cure.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

We want to say thank you to Dr. Gregory Weinstein and his most impressive staff for giving us back our husband, dad and grandpa. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your great knowledge, compassion, bedside manner, and wonderful sense of humor !!! Dr. Weinstein, Ashton, Jean, Lauren, Trish, Chrissy, Veba and Maureen .... you are all the very best and deserve a ten star rating ...... you are in our hearts forever and we love you all !!!!!!!

flag | Submitted April 12, 2016

In 2004 I learned I had Base of Tongue cancer from my local ENT Doctor. He in turn made an appointment for me to see Dr. Weinstein in Philadelphia. I am very thankful that he made that appointment for me, as I knew I wanted the tumor out of me. Dr. Weinstein, Jean and staff couldn't be more helpful in answering our laundry list of questions. We spent nearly several hours with Sr. Weinstein and his staff on our first visit. We knew we were directed to the right Surgeon for my cancer. I see Dr. Weinstein each year for peace of mind on my part. I can not say enough good things about him and his staff. I want to say here once again in public. Thank you Dr. Weinstein. Semper Fi

flag | Submitted March 5, 2016

I could not have a higher recommendation than I do for Dr. Gregory Weinstein. With a diagnosis of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the larynx I was fortunate to be recommended to Dr. Weinstein and his team. In Western NC where I live only one ENT had any experience with the disease. It became apparent that my options for a successful outcome were limited locally. My tumor was just above the vocal chords and locally they were less confident about saving my voice. I was referred to Dr.Weinstein as he was the first choice among the top three throat surgeons in the country for my condition. It was clear that I needed the best surgeon for my cancer not just the best cancer center. Penn and Dr. Weinstein were not only accommodating to my travel needs and those of my caregivers but they saw to it that I was able to maintain the same level of care even while recuperating at home. The humble approach of this skilled team was truly confidence building. For someone so sought after to spend as much time as he did with us personally left us with no unanswered questions. The same can be said of the entire organization at Penn Otolaryngology from secretary to nurse to scheduler the staff were wonderful. I also have to mention the coordination of the surgical group with Speech Pathology and Radiation. They uncovered that I also had a renal carcinoma and that was swiftly dealt with By Dr. Guzzo and his team while I was still recovering from throat surgery. My integrated approach to ridding myself of the disease was welcomed as I chose to combine the latest nutrition information and again was given great support at the Doctors office. I had my Partial cricoid laryngectomy surgery Sept 11 2015 and through some very trying times have now arrived at the point that I have relearned to swallow and speak with my new throat. I am actually returning to work within the next couple weeks, (Feb 2016)eat a full diet and honestly am in the best shape I have been in since College. For all this success I give the credit to Dr. Weinstein and his team at Penn.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

I highly recommend Dr Gregory Weinstein. My son was diagnosed with cancer of the neck and throat at a very early age.Our family doctor told us that he had heard a lot of wonderful things about Dr Weinstein. I could go on and on about this man but i will keep it short. Anytime I called with questions or concerns his staff and team members were very caring and patient. That said, the most sympathetic and caring person was Dr. Weinstein himself.He treated my son as though he was his only patient. As a mom, that meant the world to me. The one thing I will always remember and be grateful for is , immediately after performing a radical neck dissection on him, he assured our family that he got it all and that he treated him as if he were his own son. We owe Dr. Weinstein more than you could ever imagine.We are truly indebted to this wonderful doctor who saved our sons life. There's no question that he's the best there is.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2015

Did an outstanding job excising my vocal cord cancer, after which I had Follow up appointments for 5 years. Dr Weinstein discharged me on 6/4/2015. The vocal cord was completely healed. He has excellent bed side manner and made me fell special and part of his family. Thank you Doctor for a great experience.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

My experience with Dr. Weinstein spans 3 years and several outpatient procedures to correct a serious throat issue. From my first appointment to my most recent check-up, Dr. Weinstein and his staff have guided me thru a very stressful time with compassion and professionalism. His diagnosis was spot on during my first visit, and his follow up examinations identified an ongoing issue that required continued treatment of my medical issue. Thankfully, because of his expertise, my latest visit indicated no current issues that require any further procedures other than continued check-up to ensure not other issues develop. Aside from being an excellent doctor, Dr. Weinstein is a great human being. I was not just another patient, he took the time to talk to me about my family, my profession and concerns about my issues. In the age of modern medicine where in most cases patients are numbers not patients, Dr. Weinstein bucks the trend by spending time with his patients getting to know them by name and conversing with them about issues other than medical. No longer is a visit to the Dr.'s office a frightening experience due to his relationship with each patient!

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

In August, 2009 I was diagnosed with oral (tongue) cancer. I was treated at a local hospital and everything seemed fine, but on a follow up visit I was told I had a recurrence. The doctor who was treating me felt he couldn't do anything more so he referred me to Dr. Gregory Weinstein of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I didn't realize at that time it was the best thing that could have happened to me. From the initial consultation which lasted almost two hours through each follow up visit, Dr. Weinstein was the ultimate professional. He addressed all of my concerns, and I never once felt like I was being rushed out of his office. He performed both a tongue and neck dissection and after each surgery he informed me what to expect during the recovery and each time he was spot on. Whenever I talk with someone who knows Dr. Weinstein or knows of him they speak of him with utmost respect and highest of praises. Whenever given the opportunity I gladly pass on his name and phone number to potential patients because I truly believe he is the best. Dr. Weinstein surrounds himself with very dedicated and caring associates who make each patient's issues their #1 concern. Everyone I have ever met there has always been very kind, caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate. One of the nurses even told us that they realize most people who come into their office have serious medical issues and the last thing they need is to come there and be greeted by someone with an attitude. March 2015 marked my five year follow up anniversary so I was officially "cured" and released from Dr. Weinstein's care. When I first started I didn't think I would make it this far, but thanks to Dr. Weinstein and his team here I am feeling great, enjoying life, and able to spend lots of quality time with my beautiful family.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

19 year ago I was diagnosed with Cancer of the tongue, Dr. Weinstein and his team at Penn were and are the best. I have been cancer free all these years because of him and his team. Even though I don't have to, I go back once a year for a check up and to say hi . Dr. Weinstein, his team and Penn really care about the patients. Millie Edmond

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

When I was diagnosed with cancer just over 10 years ago, at the age of 20, I met with a lot of different specialists. I can confirm that I would not be here writing this review if I had not met and chose to work with Dr. Weinstein. I had tongue and neck cancer and he was the only doctor who said, with confidence, that he found the primary source and had a treatment plan. It was far from an easy 6 month journey (with the ‘scares’ more like 10 year journey so far), but knowing I have the support and care of the best doctor and team of doctors, has helped immensely. The scares have always just been scares and never any form of relapse, but the team took them very seriously and ruled out everything negative. His team/staff have always been positive and available for every question or concern that I have and there have been a lot of questions. Even though he sees a lot of patients and saves a lot of lives, he genuinely cares about each person. I do not think of myself as more important than any other patient, but when he is with you, you are his #1 priority. I feel as though we bonded early on and always have had the ability to joke with each other. I wish I could give more stars and wish I could put into words, my feelings of gratitude to him and his team. I feel incredibly lucky that I am still here, all thanks to Dr. Weinstein. I would refer anyone in my situation to Dr. Weinstein, to say I trust him with my life is an understatement.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup. Dr. Weinstein has established, at UPENN, an internationally renowned team for the management of Head and Neck Cancer since his arrival in 1991. As Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, Dr. Weinstein and his team has focused not only providing the best and most innovative care for patients with head and neck cancers but has also focused on providing safe and compassionate care for each and every patient. This has resulted in Dr. Weinstein being listed as a Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® since 2002. In addition Dr. Weinstein’s department has been listed this year by US News and World Report as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. Among the important criteria used by US News and World Report is Whether patients would recommend the hospital to friends and family with only 4% saying “probably not or no”. This is on par with other comparable institutions such as Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore (where Dr. Weinstein or his team has trained four of the faculty) where 3% say “probably not or no”. While some teams would accept 3 or 4% dissatisfaction as OK this was not the case for Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup.

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1985)

• Quality Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System 1996
  • Robert Maxwell Byers Award, The American Head and Neck Society 2009
  • Second Award, Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2009
  • Inducted into the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 1992
  • Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - 2012
  • Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2001
  • Fellow (FACS), American College of Surgeons