Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein

My experience with Dr Weinstein and his highly professional team was excellent. I don't usually write reviews but felt compelled to do so now. Since the issue is cancer, you want your life in the hands of the best possible team and that is Dr Weinstein and the people working with him. I was diagnosed by a local ENT and he immediately recommended chemotherapy. I called a close friend who is an ENT for advice. He didn't hesitate to tell me that if he was in my position he would go to Dr. Weinstein. I did and have never looked back on that decision. Dr. Weinstein proposed an alternate treatment that did not require chemotherapy. It involved both surgery and radiation. It was proactive and aggressive and I very much appreciated the way he communicated the options (objectively and clearly) and executed the plan. In addition to the traditional treatment plan, Dr. Weinstein offer the opportunity to participate in two clinical studies. One enabled us to reduce my exposure to radiation in a manner that allowed others to benefit from what was learned over time. The other focused on the impact of my treatment on dental issues. I appreciate that my treatment may, in a small way, benefit others in the long run. Overall, I would insist that my family and friends utilize Dr. Weinstein. If you are reading this, I suggest you at least speak to him. I just completed five years of treatment and unequivocably recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2020

I Write this without hesitation or forethought, but simply put Dr. Gregory Weinstein and his dedicated staff saved my life. After the diagnosis from another Doctor, I was referred to Dr. Weinstein for my care. From the initial terror of the diagnosis And my acceptance that case was and outcome was not going to be good. I met Dr. Weinstein, he evaluated me and gave me the unexpected hope I never thought I had. His Confidence that he could cure my issue and that he could give me a life back was a conversation I will remember for the rest of my life. He Basically told me, to live my life and he would worry about my Cancer. (I really felt like this was a team effort with him and his staff on my side committed to a positive outcome.) I have been Cancer free now for over 5 years, but the impact that he and his team has had on me and my family is one we will never forget. Even in my follow up care, He spends the time (As busy as this man is) to talk about other healthy life choices (Diet / exercise ) and backs up everything he says with his personal examples. (The Man is in incredible shape). Dr. Gregory Weinstein is one of the best Doctors I have ever had, he is a credit to his profession and hospital Thank you Dr. Weinstein and your wonderful Staff!

flag | Submitted January 2, 2020

After suffering a years worth of sore throats and recurring swollen glands my family doctor suspected something far worse that I could imagine, and confirmed by imaging and a biopsy by my local ear nose and throat doctor that I had a form of cancer. Recommending that surgery was my only option for exploratory of the origin of my throat cancer and removal of cancerous lymph glands, he said he could do the surgery himself but also recommended the top robotic surgeon in the tri state area, Dr. Gregory Weinstein. I am not one to take recommendations lightly so I researched Dr. Weinstein, his credentials, procedures, as well as the Penn Cancer treatment center and it's staff. Needless to say after the countless articles I read online, I was convinced Dr. Weinstein was the right surgeon for me. I had 2 presurgical appointments with Dr. Weinstein at which time I also had a number of visits and appointments with his team of professionals about my during and after treatments. I have to admit, when you are diagnosed with cancer, and then things get worse and worse, you go through a lot of emotions! Dr. Weinstein and every other doctor, therapist, assistant, and nurse was empathetic and caring. Almost as if I was their father and they were going to be patient and kind and even though had probably been through countless same situations, treated me like I was a family member. Dr. Weinstein had suspected from the beginning that I had stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma of the throat, neck, and possibly thyroid. He gave me options and also explained the positives and negatives of each one. My surgery was typically done in 2 or 3 surgical procedures to try to find the origin of my cancer but Dr. Weinstein kept the oncology lab on call so that he could do the exploratory surgery at the same time he removed the known cancerous tissue. I was scared but I knew I was in the best of care. Using the robot, Dr. Weinstein and his team were able to find the source of my cancer(in the base of my tongue) found other cancerous tissue in my tonsils and removed all cancerous lymph glands from my neck. I was never "kept in the dark" about anything. My after care was complete and thorough. He arranged, nurses to my home, follow up appts, speech and swallow therapists... And continued seeing me through my radiation treatments. I have now been cancer free for almost 2 years and continue to follow up with Dr. Weinstein and Dr. Lin, the head radiology doctor. I cannot put everything into words to show my appreciation for Dr. Weinstein, Dr Lin, and the staff at the Perlman cancer treatment center. I just know they saved my life, and are allowing me to have a fairly normal life with very little difficulties. I thank the Lord daily for giving them their skills and wisdom. If you have any questions about the procedure or the aftercare, please do not hesitate to call me, identifying yourself as a patient. Thankfully, Joe Doris 267-342-5485.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2019

Incredible Doctor really cares about his patients. Knowledge and skills are the best. i look forward to my visits.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2019

I have nothing but great things I can say about Dr. Weinstein and his staff. While living out of the country I had occasion to have what were thought to be reoccurring cyst in my neck. Unfortunately several years went by where I was misinformed about biopsy results and ultimately was finally diagnosed with head/neck cancer. My immediate reaction was probably the same as anyone’s. Why me, I’m doomed, essentially a death sentence. Having originally resided in the Philadelphia area I was lucky enough to go to University of Pennsylvania Hospital for my CT/MRI, and pet scans. While having testing done and knowing absolutely nothing about where to be treated or who to treat me my wife , while standing in line for a coffee, asked a random nurse who is the best person in the business to deal with my treatment. Without hesitation she said Dr. Weinstein and by luck it just so happens that he practices at In that very building. It wasn’t long and I had an appointment to see him to begin the process. He was very direct, short, and straight to the point about exactly what my course of treatment would be and my prognosis. To make a very long story short after some hesitation (fear), I agreed to his plan and we proceeded forward. My first surgery was a neck reduction and removal of 30 some nodes in the left side of my neck. Two days after that was the robotic surgery to deal with the cancer at the base of my tongue and my tonsil. Everything went well although I remember little of those days due to sedation. I ended up back in the OR for an emergency procedure due to a blood clot and again everything went well. I cannot honestly say enough about Dr. Weinstein as well as all of the staff I encountered over the course of my stays at the hospital. The nurses that cared for me on the 9th floor were incredibly caring and really helped me get through the days after. Being someone who works in the medical field for 30+ years I can tell you it’s no fun being the patient, you question everything, and you know way to much about what’s going on which would make you think it easier but in reality makes you more nervous. I feel very fortunate that I fell into Dr. Weinstein and teams hands. I just had another 3 month follow up, all is well, cured, and I look forward to my next. I am happy......I am alive....... grateful to all the folks at Penn Medicine. Thank you and happy holidays. Shawn P. Kelly

flag | Submitted December 17, 2019

Throat cancer is a very serious affliction and I was so lucky to find Dr. Weinstein five years ago when I was diagnosed with stage 3 throat cancer. Dr. Weinstein was truely a life saver with his innovative approach to a robotic surgery technique that removed the tumor and required no radiation or chemotherapy. He and his staff exercised great care to address all my concerns and the rehabilitation post surgery. They have continued to be involved in followup examinations over the last five years and I am pleased to say my outcome has been a complete success. I would highly recommend Dr. Weinstein and his staff for anyone diagnosed with throat cancer.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2019

Dr W operated on my neck, removing 42 lymph nodes in April 2016. I was very nervous about the entire situation. To the average person, I think cancer is a word in medicine, that scares me the most! I was recommended to see Dr W from a respected ENT at Paoli hospital . I figured that if he, the Dr I liked at Paoli did not want to do the operation, the person that he recommended must be good. I met with Dr W in the pre-operation meeting in April, 2016. Dr W was very thorough, exuded confidence, a huge desire to help and trustworthiness. What more could I want. His pre-meeting was very open and I knew that he would spend as much time with me as I needed. He explained everything. Dr W met with my wife after the operation and she felt the same way that I did.....glad I have this guy operating on me. After the operation, I met with Dr W frequently......every 3 months for a bit then every 4 then 6, etc. Sometimes I waited a long time for him. I guessed and was told by his very nice team that he was meeting with a first time patient before my time.. How can I be mad when Dr W is assuring a first time scared person about what he was going to do. No problem. Over the years, Dr W made a point to always ask about my teaching, my spare time or just anything friendly. I enjoyed our friendly talk and always tried to get him going with something going on.....including at times ,his staff just for a friendly joke. He always returned the talk. I have enjoyed our relationship and hope he has enjoyed mine. I highly recommend Dr Weinstein to anyone needing neck or throat surgery. I have told numerous people about him in the past. Dr W has recommended me to his Dr friends for problems and they were nothing short of fantastic. We all are very fortunate to have Dr Weinstein and staff to help us through these tough times. Thanks Dr Weinstein and staff for a super well-done experience

flag | Submitted December 15, 2019

Dr Weinstein can be late to your appointment but it seemed it was due to him seeing a cancer patient for the first time. I thought that luckily it was not me. Once it was I remember my fist time meeting him and I was happy to have Dr W explain in detail what he would do. His expert knowledge , enthusiasm and confidence stuck with me. I wanted no one else to take care of me. Once I got to know him we always spoke about interesting topics that had nothing to do with cancer but everything to do with friendship. Something I value

flag | Submitted December 15, 2019

I have been coming to Dr Weinstein for over six years, I would highly recommend him to anyone, to me he is the best. His staff and all that work with him are exceptional.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2019

I have been a patient of Dr, Weinstein for over 15 years. Of all the wonderful things I can say about him, the first would be that he saved my voice box when I was referred to him for a second opinion. His staff is No. 1. I would highly recommend his expertise to anyone.. I thank him again for all he has done for me.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2019

Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup. Dr. Weinstein has established, at UPENN, an internationally renowned team for the management of Head and Neck Cancer since his arrival in 1991. As Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, Dr. Weinstein and his team has focused not only providing the best and most innovative care for patients with head and neck cancers but has also focused on providing safe and compassionate care for each and every patient. This has resulted in Dr. Weinstein being listed as a Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® since 2002. In addition Dr. Weinstein’s department has been listed this year by US News and World Report as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. Among the important criteria used by US News and World Report is Whether patients would recommend the hospital to friends and family with only 4% saying “probably not or no”. This is on par with other comparable institutions such as Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore (where Dr. Weinstein or his team has trained four of the faculty) where 3% say “probably not or no”. While some teams would accept 3 or 4% dissatisfaction as OK this was not the case for Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup.

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1985)

• Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1996
  • Semon Trust Lecture, Royal Society of Medicine, London, England 2010
  • Quality Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System 1996
  • Robert Maxwell Byers Award, The American Head and Neck Society 2009
  • Second Award, Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2009
  • Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - 2012
  • Fellow (FACS), American College of Surgeons
  • Fellow (FAAO-HNS), American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
  • Super Doctor, SuperDoctors.com
  • Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2001
  • Inducted into the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 1992