Ratings for Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein

I could not have a higher recommendation than I do for Dr. Gregory Weinstein. With a diagnosis of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the larynx I was fortunate to be recommended to Dr. Weinstein and his team. In Western NC where I live only one ENT had any experience with the disease. It became apparent that my options for a successful outcome were limited locally. My tumor was just above the vocal chords and locally they were less confident about saving my voice. I was referred to Dr.Weinstein as he was the first choice among the top three throat surgeons in the country for my condition. It was clear that I needed the best surgeon for my cancer not just the best cancer center. Penn and Dr. Weinstein were not only accommodating to my travel needs and those of my caregivers but they saw to it that I was able to maintain the same level of care even while recuperating at home. The humble approach of this skilled team was truly confidence building. For someone so sought after to spend as much time as he did with us personally left us with no unanswered questions. The same can be said of the entire organization at Penn Otolaryngology from secretary to nurse to scheduler the staff were wonderful. I also have to mention the coordination of the surgical group with Speech Pathology and Radiation. They uncovered that I also had a renal carcinoma and that was swiftly dealt with By Dr. Guzzo and his team while I was still recovering from throat surgery. My integrated approach to ridding myself of the disease was welcomed as I chose to combine the latest nutrition information and again was given great support at the Doctors office. I had my Partial cricoid laryngectomy surgery Sept 11 2015 and through some very trying times have now arrived at the point that I have relearned to swallow and speak with my new throat. I am actually returning to work within the next couple weeks, (Feb 2016)eat a full diet and honestly am in the best shape I have been in since College. For all this success I give the credit to Dr. Weinstein and his team at Penn.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

I highly recommend Dr Gregory Weinstein. My son was diagnosed with cancer of the neck and throat at a very early age.Our family doctor told us that he had heard a lot of wonderful things about Dr Weinstein. I could go on and on about this man but i will keep it short. Anytime I called with questions or concerns his staff and team members were very caring and patient. That said, the most sympathetic and caring person was Dr. Weinstein himself.He treated my son as though he was his only patient. As a mom, that meant the world to me. The one thing I will always remember and be grateful for is , immediately after performing a radical neck dissection on him, he assured our family that he got it all and that he treated him as if he were his own son. We owe Dr. Weinstein more than you could ever imagine.We are truly indebted to this wonderful doctor who saved our sons life. There's no question that he's the best there is.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2015

Did an outstanding job excising my vocal cord cancer, after which I had Follow up appointments for 5 years. Dr Weinstein discharged me on 6/4/2015. The vocal cord was completely healed. He has excellent bed side manner and made me fell special and part of his family. Thank you Doctor for a great experience.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

My experience with Dr. Weinstein spans 3 years and several outpatient procedures to correct a serious throat issue. From my first appointment to my most recent check-up, Dr. Weinstein and his staff have guided me thru a very stressful time with compassion and professionalism. His diagnosis was spot on during my first visit, and his follow up examinations identified an ongoing issue that required continued treatment of my medical issue. Thankfully, because of his expertise, my latest visit indicated no current issues that require any further procedures other than continued check-up to ensure not other issues develop. Aside from being an excellent doctor, Dr. Weinstein is a great human being. I was not just another patient, he took the time to talk to me about my family, my profession and concerns about my issues. In the age of modern medicine where in most cases patients are numbers not patients, Dr. Weinstein bucks the trend by spending time with his patients getting to know them by name and conversing with them about issues other than medical. No longer is a visit to the Dr.'s office a frightening experience due to his relationship with each patient!

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

In August, 2009 I was diagnosed with oral (tongue) cancer. I was treated at a local hospital and everything seemed fine, but on a follow up visit I was told I had a recurrence. The doctor who was treating me felt he couldn't do anything more so he referred me to Dr. Gregory Weinstein of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I didn't realize at that time it was the best thing that could have happened to me. From the initial consultation which lasted almost two hours through each follow up visit, Dr. Weinstein was the ultimate professional. He addressed all of my concerns, and I never once felt like I was being rushed out of his office. He performed both a tongue and neck dissection and after each surgery he informed me what to expect during the recovery and each time he was spot on. Whenever I talk with someone who knows Dr. Weinstein or knows of him they speak of him with utmost respect and highest of praises. Whenever given the opportunity I gladly pass on his name and phone number to potential patients because I truly believe he is the best. Dr. Weinstein surrounds himself with very dedicated and caring associates who make each patient's issues their #1 concern. Everyone I have ever met there has always been very kind, caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate. One of the nurses even told us that they realize most people who come into their office have serious medical issues and the last thing they need is to come there and be greeted by someone with an attitude. March 2015 marked my five year follow up anniversary so I was officially "cured" and released from Dr. Weinstein's care. When I first started I didn't think I would make it this far, but thanks to Dr. Weinstein and his team here I am feeling great, enjoying life, and able to spend lots of quality time with my beautiful family.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

19 year ago I was diagnosed with Cancer of the tongue, Dr. Weinstein and his team at Penn were and are the best. I have been cancer free all these years because of him and his team. Even though I don't have to, I go back once a year for a check up and to say hi . Dr. Weinstein, his team and Penn really care about the patients. Millie Edmond

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

When I was diagnosed with cancer just over 10 years ago, at the age of 20, I met with a lot of different specialists. I can confirm that I would not be here writing this review if I had not met and chose to work with Dr. Weinstein. I had tongue and neck cancer and he was the only doctor who said, with confidence, that he found the primary source and had a treatment plan. It was far from an easy 6 month journey (with the ‘scares’ more like 10 year journey so far), but knowing I have the support and care of the best doctor and team of doctors, has helped immensely. The scares have always just been scares and never any form of relapse, but the team took them very seriously and ruled out everything negative. His team/staff have always been positive and available for every question or concern that I have and there have been a lot of questions. Even though he sees a lot of patients and saves a lot of lives, he genuinely cares about each person. I do not think of myself as more important than any other patient, but when he is with you, you are his #1 priority. I feel as though we bonded early on and always have had the ability to joke with each other. I wish I could give more stars and wish I could put into words, my feelings of gratitude to him and his team. I feel incredibly lucky that I am still here, all thanks to Dr. Weinstein. I would refer anyone in my situation to Dr. Weinstein, to say I trust him with my life is an understatement.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

Review by Lee Stranburg. 10 years ago I was diagnosed by Dr. Greg Weinstein as having cancer of the tongue. He told me that he and Dr. Bert O'Malley had developed a robotic procedure (TORS) at the Hospital of the University Of Pennsylvania (today, TORS is used around the world) and that I would qualify for the program, With lots of prayers, the technical skill of a great surgeon, Dr. Greg Weinstein and the care of his staff - I was put on the road to recovery. I cannot say enough about the professionalism and caring attitude of Dr. Weinstein and his team. They spend the necessary time with a patient to insure that a person understands the risks and rewards associated with the procedures and type of cancer being dealt with and then meet with many specialists such as Radiologists, Chemotherapists and others to develop a program specifically designed for the patient and their cancer issues. Five Stars go out to Dr. Weinstein and his team at Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery Department and a great big Thank You to all.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2015

Although I,m not one to write reviews I feel compelled to compliment Dr. Weinstein and his outstanding staff. His professional staff was compassionate, friendly and comforting in a trying time.Dr. Weinstein saved my life after catching a mistake made by another facility ( not affiliated with UPENN) his confidence and knowledge is reassuring. I will go to UPENN from now on even though I live in Lancaster County. I highly recommend Dr. Weinstein, his amazing staff and UPENN. Jeff W.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2015

Dr Weinstein saved my life. When i first learned i had cancer, I was in shock. The first hospital told me surgery was not an option. Dr Weinstein's first words to me at our initial visit, after reviewing all my scans and a thorough exam were "This is cureable with a good prognosis for a high quality of life. You won't like the rest of what I am going to say, but that I can tell you." He was right on both counts. The ordeal of treatment was tough, very tough, but the results are great. Not only am I now NED, but am better shape now than I have been in over 30 years. Through the treatments, the Dr and his entire team really understood what a cancer patient is going through. They all were super. The only reason I checked four stars for promptness was to be honest. Sometimes the Dr runs behind on his appointments, but I have been on both sides of that equation, meaning I was the person he "dropped everything" for to address my condition and I have waited longer than usual for treatment. Knowing the first instance makes it easy to understand and accept the second. Overall, we (my wife and I) always found Dr. Weinstein (and his team) to be professional, caring, honest, straightforward and supportive. I am very grateful and thankful for him. As I said, he saved my life.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2015

Dr. Gregory S. Weinstein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup. Dr. Weinstein has established, at UPENN, an internationally renowned team for the management of Head and Neck Cancer since his arrival in 1991. As Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, Dr. Weinstein and his team has focused not only providing the best and most innovative care for patients with head and neck cancers but has also focused on providing safe and compassionate care for each and every patient. This has resulted in Dr. Weinstein being listed as a Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® since 2002. In addition Dr. Weinstein’s department has been listed this year by US News and World Report as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. Among the important criteria used by US News and World Report is Whether patients would recommend the hospital to friends and family with only 4% saying “probably not or no”. This is on par with other comparable institutions such as Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore (where Dr. Weinstein or his team has trained four of the faculty) where 3% say “probably not or no”. While some teams would accept 3 or 4% dissatisfaction as OK this was not the case for Dr. Weinstein’s practice. During the past decade in tandem with creating the best and most innovative head and neck cancer team in the world Dr. Weinstein’s practice has also focused their approach on “Making the Best Better” by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal Dr. Weinstein has created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. This is true for patients that come from locally but also for the many who come from around the nation and world. Patients who call Dr. Weinstein’s office at 215-349-5390 during work hours, with the rare exception when all four extensions are occupied, hear a live human voice. Dr. Weinstein’s has three secretaries: Tamika Singleton, Christina Henderson and Wylisha Green who work only for his patients. Their entire focus is to serve Dr. Weinstein’s patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are seen within a few days (often the next day) of calling. Their goal is to coordinate all testing, scans and appointments in a convenient way for our patients because they know that patients are often coming in from a long distance. They know that being ill can be emotionally overwhelming for patients and coming to new hospital as large and complex as the PENN system can add to those feelings. So his secretaries consider themselves care “ambassadors” for Dr. Weinstein’s patients and so patients know that at any time in their care experience they have a friendly voice to speak to as a guide – even if it is as simple as getting lost in on their way to their next appointment- Dr. Weinstein’s secretaries are a phone call away to help them get to their destination. One of the important goals of Dr. Weinstein’s practice over the last few years was to improve the patient experience by decreasing clinic wait times and improving communication both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for Dr. Weinstein and together they have provided care. But as the practice has grown over the decades the “vocal minority” (4% noted above) made it clear that they wanted more access. Rather than “clone” himself and Jean (neither ethical nor possible :-) ) he did second best and a few years ago hired Ashton Bridges RN and Melissa Madgin MA to his full time staff. This means that patients can always access a health care provider with the experience to answer all of their questions and guide them through the care at PENN.By striving to “Making the Best Better” his patients are never alone during treatment or followup.

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1985)

• Quality Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System 1996
  • Robert Maxwell Byers Award, The American Head and Neck Society 2009
  • Second Award, Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2009
  • Inducted into the College of Physicians of Philadelphia 1992
  • Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - 2012
  • Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award, The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence - 2001
  • Fellow (FACS), American College of Surgeons
  • America's Top Doctors for Cancer, Castle Connolly 2005-2013
  • Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1996
  • Semon Trust Lecture, Royal Society of Medicine, London, England 2010

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I could not have a higher recommendation than I do for Dr. Gregory Weinstein. With a diagnosis of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the larynx I was fortunate to be r..."

January 28, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I highly recommend Dr Gregory Weinstein. My son was diagnosed with cancer of the neck and throat at a very early age.Our family doctor told us that he had heard..."

December 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Did an outstanding job excising my vocal cord cancer, after which I had Follow up appointments for 5 years. Dr Weinstein discharged me on 6/4/2015. The vocal co..."

December 8, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My experience with Dr. Weinstein spans 3 years and several outpatient procedures to correct a serious throat issue. From my first appointment to my most recent..."

December 8, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "In August, 2009 I was diagnosed with oral (tongue) cancer. I was treated at a local hospital and everything seemed fine, but on a follow up visit I was told I ..."

December 2, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "19 year ago I was diagnosed with Cancer of the tongue, Dr. Weinstein and his team at Penn were and are the best. I have been cancer free all these years because..."

December 1, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "When I was diagnosed with cancer just over 10 years ago, at the age of 20, I met with a lot of different specialists. I can confirm that I would not be here wr..."

December 1, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Review by Lee Stranburg. 10 years ago I was diagnosed by Dr. Greg Weinstein as having cancer of the tongue. He told me that he and Dr. Bert O'Malley had deve..."

November 30, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Although I,m not one to write reviews I feel compelled to compliment Dr. Weinstein and his outstanding staff. His professional staff was compassionate, friendly..."

November 21, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr Weinstein saved my life. When i first learned i had cancer, I was in shock. The first hospital told me surgery was not an option. Dr Weinstein's first words ..."

November 15, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I am now Cancer free thanks to Dr. Gregory Weinstein. 8 years ago I met with Dr. Weinstein as a second opinion concerning a throat cancer diagnosis. His profe..."

May 27, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I was fortunate to be treated by Doctor Weinstein for Larynx Cancer. After being told by another Doctor that I should have my vocal cords stripped, Doctor Wein..."

May 13, 2015
  • Website has been updated from "None" to "http://www.penncancer.org/patients/find-a-doctor/344/". Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "215-349-5390".

February 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "very professional and courteous doctors and staff. Dr. Weinstein came in to see on my first visit despite a snowstorm when all the other appointments were canc..."

February 11, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Nothing but praise and gratitude for my experience with Dr. Weinstein and his expert staff. Professional. attentive and helpful in everyway. God Bless them all."

February 11, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Our personal experience with Dr. Weinstein is and was Fabulous, first let me start by saying, it was 22 yrs since our first encounter with the Dr. and his staff..."

February 10, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "In June 2008, at the age of 60, I was diagnosed with Base of Tongue cancer with a poor prognosis. I live in Kailua, Hawaii and through incredible luck I was a..."

February 10, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I am five years tongue cancer free only because I was lucky enough to be in the care of the BEST tongue cancer specialist in the country. Dr. Weinstein knows h..."

February 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Weinstein and his team treated me for HPV+ Squamous Cell Carcinoma of my Tonsil. I came from out of state and he worked me into his Clinic within days of ou..."

February 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr.Weinstein ,is, in a word Briliant. I had head and neck cancer which he 0perated on about two years ago and ,thank God, I am cancer free, thanks to Dr. Weins..."

December 3, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Gregory Weinstein is my otorhinilaryngologist of choice. He is intelligent, caring, patient, and an overall great person. He allayed my fears when I fir..."

November 26, 2014
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Dr Weinstein is always friendly, accomodating & anxious to address any of my concerns. He has attended to me for over 20 years, post laryngeal surgery. I do b..."

November 26, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=150829'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 4.2

February 13, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=150829'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 4.5

February 5, 2014