Ratings for Dr. David H. Mendelson

I went to this doctor for a torn meniscus and an unstable patella. He was good the first appointment and sent me to physical therapy. I have been to therapy 3 other times on this knees. Every other time the therapy helped; this time I was worse. The next appointment they removed fluid and gave me a cortisone shot. It helped for one day but my next appointment wasn't for another month. Each subsequent appointment I was seen by one of his many physician assistants. I went back a month later and had questions for the doctor but was informed that he wasn't in that day. I had to book another appointment to be able to see him. When I went back I specifically asked if he was in and they informed me that I would have to wait longer of I wanted to see the doctor. I waited almost an extra hour and his demeanor was as of I was bothering him. He said we have two options; orthoscopic surgery or knee replacement but that he didn't think orthoscopic surgery would help but left the decision to me. I had been debilitated for 3 1/2 months already and just wanted to get to a point of being able to function again so I chose replacement. When I scheduled surgery the scheduler informed me that pre and post op appointments would be with. PA. I started having serious reservations about having surgery with a doctor who doesn't even know me. I researched many orthopedic doctors in the area and decided to call a Ronald Rook because his father performed orthoscopic surgery on me in 1982. I wouldn't be walking today if it were not for his father. I went to see Dr. Rook and he informed me that he would never do a knee replacement on me because I am only 50 and I would have to have another one in 20 years and because it was not necessary. Additionally he said that he100 percent believes that orthoscopic surgery will help me and showed me on the xray what he would do and what the result would be. He spent almost a half hour discussing everything and said that we have wasted enough time and let's do this surgery as soon as possible so you can get back to a normal life. The reason I am submitting this review is because I would have had a highly invasive surgery that wouldn't have been necessary and would have lifelong effects on my body. Any doctor who would be willing to do something so unethical is incompetent at best. He had no regard for my life but left the decision to me so as to provide a disclaimer for himself. I strongly recommend seeing another orthopaedic doctor.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

I took my daughter to see Dr. D Mendelson to be treated for a fractured wrist from the radius. She was treated in the emergency room at St. John Macomb, because it was the closest place to us. The emergency room should have an attending on call/available that would be able to properly care for their patients/they should have popped her bone back in place then, but instead gave her a temporary cast/splint and a follow up to see Dr. Mendelson. My daughter and I saw him 2 days later. We waited in his lobby for an hour before being called back into a room. We finally get to the back and had to wait another hour & 13 mins. As I became more frustrated watching patients who signed in after us being seen before us, Mendelson finally walks in. He explains what he saw in the x-rays then says he wants to put my daughter under anesthesia to go in and reset her bone because he "wouldn't be able to do it now without causing pain"; seems like he was ready to go (we were one of two last patients in the office:most of the staff had left by then). He didn't wait for a response from me concerning this advised procedure. He then turns to the nurse telling her to put my daughter on "will call" for surgery in the morning or possibly Thursday sometime, by the way this was on a Tuesday, then he left out the room. Having prior training as an EMT myself and seeing the xrays I knew he was on some bull. Needless to say, I called them to have my daughter removed off their list of patients/insurance companies to milk. I decided to schedule an appointment at Children's Hospital; they treated my daughter immediately and we walked in/walk out-it took them literally a total of 12mins to treat my her I was still filling out the HIPAA/Family History forms by the time they finished wrapping her cast. I WOULD NEVER ADVISE ANYONE to see this doctor or seek treatment from this hospital location. Dr. Mendelson is either all about making money and not too concerned with properly treating his patients or he lacks wisdom in making medically necessary decisions. Either way, I will never go back to this place again.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2014

I actually wrote a positive review here before, but having surgery changed my mind! All of my appointments were very rushed, and he was blatantly dismissive of my concerns. They wanted to take an x-ray every time I walked into their office, with no medical justification. Long waits, inadequate pain management. I had a severe allergic reaction after the surgery, which they initially refused to treat. The "dissolving" stitches never dissolved, and I had to have a friend remove them a month later because the doctor insisted that they'd dissolve eventually and refused to touch them. The doctor would be halfway civil to me if I had one of my parents with me at the appointment, but was rude and even bullied me when I showed up alone. One visit, after waiting for 2 hours to be seen for an urgent problem, I was told that the doctor was not even in the office, and wasn't expected back anytime soon, so I should reschedule! You couldn't pay me enough to set foot in this practice again.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2013

He kept me in a cast for 6 months before he decided I needed to see a specialist. The specialist said that his prolonged attempt in treating me caused long term irreparable damage and I lost a great deal of mobility. During each vist, he seemed more concerned about documenting an audio recording describing the diagnosis in medical term. I'm mad that I was treated with such negligence and dont think that anyone should ever seek him for medical advice.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2013

Operated on me twice. Very good surgeon. Shortened his weekend off with his family to fix my arm. It took me 2 weeks to get to him and the time limit to do the operation had run out. He has a great sense of humor and is easy to talk to. Recommend him to everyone.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2012

Dr David has repaired my shattered femer and burst biceps tendon. Also has replaced my wife's hip joint. He cancelled a family weekend to operate on me because it was at the end of the window to fix it. He put himself out for me. I wouldn't go to anyone else if I have a choice.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2011

My mother-in-law fell & broke her hip 2 weeks ago. Long story short she was bleeding alot on saturday morning & we took her to the hospital where we were told it was a serroma (not sure on spelling) & we need to let it go. They contacted the surgeon Dr Stephen Mendelson who ordered blood test & her INR level was at 4.9 which 3.5 is normal & 5 is critcal. the ER doctor told us to contact Dr. Stephen Mendelson as soon as we get home to adjust her blood thinner she is on. We called the office and had him paged 3 times & when he called back almost 2 hours later said what do you want & when my husband explained why we were paging him 3 times he said how fast do expect me to call you back. My husband said I don't know but my family doctor calls me back in 15 min. He said maybe you should find another orthopaedic surgeon & hung up on him. WHAT AN JERK! Dr David mendelson did her surgery but we did see him after that day. Good Luck!

flag | Submitted April 7, 2009

I saw Dr. Mendelson several times over the course of several years for a bad ankle sprain that had gone untreated. I was in middle school, and very afraid of needles. He was very patient, explained everything, and adjusted treatment for my needs. He suggested cortisone injections, but did not push it because of my fear. He mentioned surgery as an option, but did not push that either (even though he's a surgeon). Years later when I was out of state and decided to do the surgery, he checked around and made a recommendation for a surgeon in my state. Definitely not motivated by money. My mom has seen him for arthritis, and my grandfather saw him for a bone tumor. Everybody has been happy with him. The downside is that he's always running late, up to an hour or so.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2009

DID NOT HAVE THE MRI WITH HIM BUT IT WAS AT HIS OFFICE IN THE, BUT DID THE SUGERY ANY BECAUSE HE WAS RUNING LATE AND STILL HAD MORE TO DO THAT NIGHT. PROBLEM NOT FIXED BUT WE HAVE THE BILL.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2008

Dr. David is wonderful!! I will refer friends and family to him in the future!!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2008

Dr. David H. Mendelson's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal