Ratings for Dr. Laura A. Costello

I started going to her 5 years ago on the recommendation of my pediatrician after my longtime gyn died suddenly. I liked her but always thought she rushed the internal exam. I have no issues other than peri menopause. Now my daughter has gyn issues. I am on her form that I can speak with her. She has not provided standard of care follow up at all and was extremely rude when I asked her when she’d do follow-up testing and refused to answer, saying that she wasn’t there to discuss that. Completely dismissive to me and my 21-yr-old daughter, who is waiting on biopsy results she says will take 2 weeks.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2018

Unfortunately, I had a really negative experience here from start to finish. I don't typically like to write negative reviews, but when it is about your health and feeling comfortable and cared for I think it is important to find the best. With that in mind, I would not recommend this office. The office waiting area is dated, the wait was long, and the staff were not discrete in speaking with patients and the whole waiting area could hear everything they said. Dr. Costello's visit with me left me feeling like she just did some kind of quick "once over", without asking questions or taking the time to address my concerns. She suggested a breast ultrasound, and since the imaging facility they work with is inconveniently located for me I asked if they could fax the prescription/referral to a different facility. They said that they could, but even after calling to follow up 3 times it never arrived. Once I misspoke on a voicemail and said I was calling to get the referral sent for the MRI (instead of ultrasound) and the nurse called back and nearly yelled at me saying "I don't know what you're talking about -- you don't need an MRI and you're going to the wrong imaging center anyway!" ... not the way you want to be treated when you're dealing with a possible medical issue. For the record, I still have not been able to get them to send over the referral, and have not gotten the ultrasound follow up that was recommended. If anyone from Dr. Costello's office reads this I hope they will see it not as a whining complaint, but rather as an illustrative story of how their patients are experiencing their care. Perhaps it can be an opportunity to revisit some practices, or retrain the staff. As I mentioned, I never write negative reviews, but health -- especially OBGYN services -- is such an important and delicate area. It needs to be treated with great care, attention, sensitivity, and trust. To provide some context, before going to Dr Costello, I had been going to Planned Parenthood for annual exams etc. for many years; I started going there when I was first out of college because I didn't have insurance, but they were so good that I kept going for almost a decade even though I now have very good insurance. But, I figured it might be time to develop a history with a single doctor. My experience at Planned Parenthood is consistently much much better than I had with Dr. Costello. The doctors there are attentive, patient, ask many questions without judgement, and they are extremely knowledgeable and thorough. I am still looking for a new permanent OBGYN, but in the meantime I think I will go back to Planned Parenthood to get the attention to this medical concern that I did not get at Dr Costello's office. Thank goodness for Planned Parethood's medical services. Too bad about Dr. Costello's.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2017

I was referred by a friend who has been with Dr. Costello for many years. My PCP also recommended her to me. Since then I have seen her once every year for four years. I've had no issues so I can't judge her on how she would handle a problem. I find her to be very pleasant. I appreciate that she moves things along and gets me in and out in less than an hour. I would describe her as efficient rather than rushed.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

After my exam I realized I forgot a question to ask her, so I relayed it to my mother who had an appt soon to express my unwanted, and paralyzed inability with my intimacy drive. for a 21 year old (which is pretty embarrassing as it is) We had an inkling that it was my use of Depo Provera. My mother stated that my long term and important relationship is going to fall apart if I don't find a solution, I was an emotional wreck. To make it even worse, Dr. Costello simply stated "oh, well she's obviously sick of him. thats all- she just needs to find a new man". I have never in my life received such insensitive, offensive, and truly hurtful coming to doctor for questions, realizing that your concern and feelings mean nothing to her. She doesn't even sit down with you for more than five minutes, and 99% of the time she is in a horrifically bad mood, meaning that she brings her personal issues to work, hence the attitude, and unwillingness to give proper care to patients. I have stayed with the office but now under the care of Alison Davies who surpassed Costello by a considerable margin. Its sad to see how much she dislikes her job and takes that out on others. She should leave the office because everyone else is WONDERFUL

flag | Submitted October 19, 2015

Has zero bedside manner, is not compassionate, looks to argue at ever level, and I would never trust her with my healthcare or the healthcare of my family members.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2015

I have no problem with dr Costello, I would consider seeing her again had I not been thrown out of her practice by her horrible office staff. I had a huge Snafu with my insurance and the New York State exchange, I called the office on two occasions to explain. Both times I was told its ok we understand. When I showed up for my annual exam with new insurance I was told by the tattooed receptionist who reeked of cigarette smoke that I could not not see the doctor with a balance due. When I said that I should have been told that when I was called to hav my appointment confirmed. I was told "that's too hard we don't do things that way." I demanded that they honor my appointment. A week later I received a certified letter telling me never to come back and that a collection agency had called me 18 times. About the collection agency. For several months we have been receiving calls from a glens falls number. Almost always it is dead air. Once there was a staticky voice. I said I'm having a difficult time hearing you the voice on the other line yelled F*** you B***. I can only assume this is one of the 18 calls I received. I suspect dr. Costello might not yet have noticed that her patient load is getting smaller. But I strongly suspect that soon she will notice that many of her patients have moved on due to the rudeness and slovenly staff she has hired.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

I saw Dr. Costello for a few years. She NEVER took my complaints or concerns seriously. She told me it was "all in my head". I went to another doctor who actually believed the amount of pain I was in and the severity of the pain. He did a laparoscopic surgery, which Dr. Costello refused to do by the way, and properly diagnosed me with stage 4 Endometriosis. All of my organs were fused together and out of place!! Dr. Costello has no compassion for women. She is ignorant and I truly believe she is not competent in diagnosing or managing any disorders. If you need birth control and that only, she may be for you. But the minute you have a concern or problem, she will quickly dismiss your problem!! I believe her good reviews are misleading to the public. She is not a good physician. In fact, she is quite the opposite.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2013

dr. costello has always been extremely helpful. i appreciate her skillful exams. i find her accessible for discussion of serious issues. she also has a great sense of humor and kindness which leaven tough exams and procedures. i would wholeheartedly recommend her.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2012

I have been going to this Dr. Costello for about 3 years and I was very concerned about not concieving. She acted like she was not concerned and kept telling me just wait she didnt recommend anything to me. I think I may change my Doctor since she doesn't seem to care.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2012

Dr. Costello from the very beginning made me feel uncomfrotable. I felt as if she was extremely judgmental and although I have been to her office three times and called a few different times for medical consultation I have only ever talked to her once. All other times I dealt only with her nurse who is a really nice person. I feel as if Dr. Costello really didn't care about me and refered me to a specialist only because she didn't want to deal with me.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2012

Dr. Laura A. Costello's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston (Grad. 1992)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Albany, NY