Ratings for Dr. Joseph Douwe Rienstra

I drive an hour to see Dr. Rienstra. He is extremely knowledgeable and bright, yet respectful towards the patient's opinion. In other words, he listens! Because of him, my health has improved after years of going to other Drs. and not getting the treatment I needed. He also writes really interesting newsletters which I enjoy reading. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2014

Dr Rinensta made a math mistake that almost killed my son. My son had an extremely painful ear infection and Dr Rienstra wrote a perscription for a narcotic which was far beyond what my son could have taken safely. Fortunately the pharmacist we went to knew our family well, and recognized that my son was not a 450 lb adult, but a toddler. When the pharmacist called Dr Rienstra to correct the perscription Dr Rienstra refused to change it. Over an hour, and mutiple calls, with Dr Rienstra calling the pharmacist names and refusing to admit he had made a mistake. Yes, Dr Rienstra has a nice office, and appears to be kind and caring. But he berates people he sees as beneath him, and he refuses to admit to and correct mistakes. This is a potentially deadly combination in a physician.

Submitted July 30, 2013

Dr. Rienstra, has been my physician for 15 years. I am extremely pleased. He has an amazing ability to listen and ask the just right questions. Office visits are a conversation not - I have the answers and do as I say. He and his office staff are wonderful.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2012

This MD is a very special guy. His staff is also friendly and helpful. They work together to help people help themselves deal with health problems. They have some special deals for being late, not curing you, or brining in new clients. I enjoy my visits there but they keep me so healthy I seldom see them!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2010

I highly recommend Dr Reinstra. He is thoughtful,and through in his approach to resolve medical problems. Primarily, he is an educator who empowers his patients by working in partnership with them using both conventional and alternative medical practices.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2007

Dr. Rienstra is an excellent diagnostician and explains the how and why of health problems clearly. If the problem can be helped with "alternative" treatments, he offers those as well as the usual medical treatments. He keeps up with all the latest research (something many doctors don't). He cured me of migraines by suggesting that I take more magnesium every day - that was four years ago and I haven't had one since!

flag | Submitted July 7, 2006

Unusually sensible (for an MD!). Sceptical. Dry, wry sense of humor. Likes to start with supplements 1st & work up to highly potent meds. Works to get you to change your lifestyle as a major factor in your health. Publishes a monthly, online health newsletter. Has long life experience (tho won't admit his age!)to temper the glowing claims of drug companies, research results, etc. Audiotapes your session with him & gives the tape to you! You have to pay for services as you go, since he does NOT submit insurance claims, but will help you with the forms for you to submit. Small clinic size gets you an appointment in only a day or two. Very independent, very different, very refreshing. A real gem!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2005

I cannot speak highly enough of Douwe Rienstra. He's been our family doctor for 10 years. His diagnoses have proven to be accurate and treatments sound. If he doesn't believe a test to be needed he will not recommend it. We've found his monthly newsletter to be informative. His office does not accept insurance but will fill out your forms for your to submit.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2005

Dr. Rienstra is a wonderful doctor. It is a level of service I can not find anywhere else. It feels like going to a friend for help rather then a stuffy doctors office. Everyone in his office is so kind. I moved away for school and when I got sick I flew home to see him. I appreciate the selfordered testing and holistic approach. Thank you!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2005