Ratings for Dr. R. Robert Schellenberg

I have seen Dr. Schellenberg three times. I have found him to be a very carding, doc that listens to me, doesn't make me feel rushed, I live along way away from Van , he fits me in when I can make it there with as little as a weeks notice. I emailed him once pre appointment to give him a heads up on my concerns, he had printed my letter, wrote notes all over it and answered all my questions. I have not noticed any memory issues .

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

Dr Schellenberg had difficulty following the topic of our discussion, he had difficulty finding words, both out loud and to write in his file. I was embarrassed for him and had to help him out by guessing words for him and by getting him back to the topic numerous times. He also missed several key items on my lab report. I had to point them out to him. I wonder if he has dementia. On the positive side, he did suggest a treatment that I was hoping he would suggest. Will have to wait for more labs to see if he comes through with that.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2015

I have a rare illness, which is only recently been described. New knowledge, understanding and research is coming out all the time. Like many people with a rare disease, I am more knowledgeable about it than almost all of my doctors. That is natural, and it's hard for physicians, Dr. Schellenburg is knowledgeable, but when he does make a mistake, he is utterly unwilling to admit it, and pretends as if he has always thought that. He will boldfacedly lie to avoid looking like he was wrong. He is motivated by a perception of being cutting edge, while actually being unwilling to do anything that might take some extra effort or work for an individual patient. He informed me that I should wait to take a medication that was helping, but had to go off due to a possible side effect, and that I would do ANYTHING to get back on, because setting it up would be a "huge pain." Ironically, most of the work would be on my side- and I have no problem taking it on. I will be seeking someone who doesn't think that I'm a pain in the *?!. He is a capable physician, but go in with your eyes open.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2015

I had a quick response time from his office re a referral and received an appointment within a weeks time. He is approachable and made me feel at ease during the first visit. He was a bit late but I was not bothered by that. We discussed my medical history and current medical issues and a diagnosis was made and treatment started within the week.I might add that I chose Dr Schellenberg for the referral from my gp based on his experience, his position within St. Pauls and UBC the positive reviews on this site and my other specialists are located at St Pauls as well.I have scheduled a follow up appointment - I am happy I will be his patient and in his care.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2013

I think Dr. Schellenberg knows his stuff, but since my medical condition is so complex it is not safe to follow what may be predicted by the book. Unfortunately, I'm not the norm and sometimes it's wiser to learn from experience. Medications that cause a rash all over one's body should be avoided at all costs. I'm just saying.....

flag | Submitted February 7, 2012

He saw and established a treatment regieme for my daughter that I think saved her life. He is attentive, caring, explains things, follows up, and even intervened to help establish her treatment when she moved to another province for university. I think he is marvellous.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2009

Dr. Schellenberg is an excellent doctor for immune related problems or allergies. However, unless you have been previously told by a health care professional that you do in fact have an autoimmune issue, this is not the doctor for you. His staff aren't very helpful but overall punctuality is good and location as well.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2008

Amazing...just absolutely amazing. I had seen no less than five doctors about my condition before seeing him, and all five had been brisk, uninformative, and prescribed medication that only exacerbated my symptoms. One appointment with him was all it took...he talked with me for a long time, getting a complete medical history, and was able to find a treatment that works for me immediately! I still can't believe it, and I could go on and on about how good he was, but I'll just say this: you will not be disappointed.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2007

He's a good doctor. Ive seen him for years. He doesn't rush you and he is willing to try different treatment options.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2007

A good allergist. The only con is a long wait to get into for your initial visit.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2006