Ratings for Dr. R. Robert Schellenberg

Gatineau, QC, November 3, 2017. I can vouch for Dr. Schellenberg's high expertise: he saved my life. If you care to know more, read below. In 1998, I was dying from a very severe case of asthma. No medication had worked since my first attack in 1992, despite my dutiful compliance and all my doctors' efforts. In 1997, my husband was transferred to Vancouver where I was referred to a pulmonologist who also tried his best until he finally gave up while telling me there was "Nothing Modern Medicine could do for [me] anymore" but that another pulmonologist would take charge of my case. My husband and I left desperate. Three weeks later I met Dr. Tony Bai, who started the visit by telling me "[I] wouldn't die from asthma on [his] watch" and that "[he] enjoyed a good challenge". He then proceeded to explain his match plan. As part of it, he asked for a consult from a colleague and an expert allergist, Dr. Robert Schellenberg. The day I met Dr. Schellenberg, he asked me if I had many food intolerances. I answered affirmatively. He then told my husband and me sitting that he was pretty sure what was the real problem with me. He got up to fetch Dr. Bai. Once back in his office, Dr. Schellenberg told Dr. Bai he suspected the cause of my uncontrollable asthma was an acquired immunodeficiency and that happily there was a treatment for that. Repeated tests confirmed his diagnosis. So I got my first IVig treatment on June 15, 1998 under Dr. Schellenberg's personal supervision. He told me additional critical information during the operation, especially that my condition would improve very, very slowly over a five-year period with one IVig every 28 days. Ultimately all my symptoms would be controlled. However I would require to get my igs without failing or I'd risk to see the return of my problems after a few months. I'm happy to report he was absolutely right. It was a very, very long and difficult process and it did take five years. I enjoy now an almost total asthma-free life. I do receive my treatment without failing though. So it's safe to say I'm alive today thanks to Dr. Schellenberg's immense knowledge and Dr. Bai's commitment to his promise to me and methodical investigation of my case.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

I have seen Dr. Schellenberg three times. I have found him to be a very carding, doc that listens to me, doesn't make me feel rushed, I live along way away from Van , he fits me in when I can make it there with as little as a weeks notice. I emailed him once pre appointment to give him a heads up on my concerns, he had printed my letter, wrote notes all over it and answered all my questions. I have not noticed any memory issues .

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

Dr Schellenberg had difficulty following the topic of our discussion, he had difficulty finding words, both out loud and to write in his file. I was embarrassed for him and had to help him out by guessing words for him and by getting him back to the topic numerous times. He also missed several key items on my lab report. I had to point them out to him. I wonder if he has dementia. On the positive side, he did suggest a treatment that I was hoping he would suggest. Will have to wait for more labs to see if he comes through with that.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2015

I have a rare illness, which is only recently been described. New knowledge, understanding and research is coming out all the time. Like many people with a rare disease, I am more knowledgeable about it than almost all of my doctors. That is natural, and it's hard for physicians, Dr. Schellenburg is knowledgeable, but when he does make a mistake, he is utterly unwilling to admit it, and pretends as if he has always thought that. He will boldfacedly lie to avoid looking like he was wrong. He is motivated by a perception of being cutting edge, while actually being unwilling to do anything that might take some extra effort or work for an individual patient. He informed me that I should wait to take a medication that was helping, but had to go off due to a possible side effect, and that I would do ANYTHING to get back on, because setting it up would be a "huge pain." Ironically, most of the work would be on my side- and I have no problem taking it on. I will be seeking someone who doesn't think that I'm a pain in the *?!. He is a capable physician, but go in with your eyes open.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2015

I had a quick response time from his office re a referral and received an appointment within a weeks time. He is approachable and made me feel at ease during the first visit. He was a bit late but I was not bothered by that. We discussed my medical history and current medical issues and a diagnosis was made and treatment started within the week.I might add that I chose Dr Schellenberg for the referral from my gp based on his experience, his position within St. Pauls and UBC the positive reviews on this site and my other specialists are located at St Pauls as well.I have scheduled a follow up appointment - I am happy I will be his patient and in his care.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2013

I think Dr. Schellenberg knows his stuff, but since my medical condition is so complex it is not safe to follow what may be predicted by the book. Unfortunately, I'm not the norm and sometimes it's wiser to learn from experience. Medications that cause a rash all over one's body should be avoided at all costs. I'm just saying.....

flag | Submitted February 7, 2012

He saw and established a treatment regieme for my daughter that I think saved her life. He is attentive, caring, explains things, follows up, and even intervened to help establish her treatment when she moved to another province for university. I think he is marvellous.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2009

Dr. Schellenberg is an excellent doctor for immune related problems or allergies. However, unless you have been previously told by a health care professional that you do in fact have an autoimmune issue, this is not the doctor for you. His staff aren't very helpful but overall punctuality is good and location as well.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2008

Amazing...just absolutely amazing. I had seen no less than five doctors about my condition before seeing him, and all five had been brisk, uninformative, and prescribed medication that only exacerbated my symptoms. One appointment with him was all it took...he talked with me for a long time, getting a complete medical history, and was able to find a treatment that works for me immediately! I still can't believe it, and I could go on and on about how good he was, but I'll just say this: you will not be disappointed.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2007

He's a good doctor. Ive seen him for years. He doesn't rush you and he is willing to try different treatment options.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2007