Ratings for Dr. Herbert M. Biel

I find some of these reviews very questionable :/ especially about him or his staff having any attention to detail. Dr. Biel was my surgeon for my multiple leg and ankle fractures. He and his staff KNEW I was on birth control pill, yet never took me off of it even when I asked 'should I go off it for a couple months?). I complained of calf aches for weeks, and he and staff all brushed it off to damaged tissue from my accident even though it was getting worse, instead of better like my other pains. Well, turns out a DID have DVT that he and staff ignored and when I went to the ER for breathing complications, sure enough, I had pulmonary emboli! They told me I was lucky to be alive, but really I was just unlucky enough to get Dr. Biel and his staff! They had 2 opportunities to help me and failed at both. Opportunity 1: get me off of The pill until I healed. Even if they didn't do that, Opportunity 2: Fix my DVT through medicine once I got it, so that it didn't turn into a Pulmonary Embolism. And to top it all off, a year later I found out my ankle had a malunion due to his incompetence as a surgeon. Avoid at all costs, please don't believe fake reviewers!

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

He is a butcher. He let me lie on emy back for over 2 months and awake 24 hrs a day. He would not try other medications nor see me. Quack.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2016

Extremely knowledgable and attentive to my needs. Would highly recommend Dr. Biel to my family and friends. He demonstrated the utmost professionalism while still showing compassion to my situation and health concerns.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2015

I’ve been completely satisfied with the relationship that Dr. Biel and I have developed over the last decade. He’s been the epitome of professional during my visits. I’m always tremendously impressed by his lucid explanations of my physical challenges (complications from fractures of three vertebrae), by his use of diagrams and models to assist in his explanations, by his thoughtful prognoses regarding vertebral degeneration, by his comprehensive descriptions of potential options for both immediate and long-term pain relief, and by his effective strategies for amelioration of underlying problems involving musculature. Dr. Biel can pack more useful information into a short office visit than can any other doctor I’ve ever consulted; being a busy man myself, I greatly appreciate that.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2015

After years of pain in my back and trying just about everything possible, I met with Dr. Biel. He put rods and screws in my back in 2002 and it was the best thing I could have ever done. My quality of life has improved to very much. He was the very best thing that could have happened to me!!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

he is ok he is ok he is ok he is ok he is ok he is a doctor

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

My first experience with Dr Biel was a year or so prior to my going to see him as a patient. I had been involved in an auto accident and had back surgery performed by another physician. The other persons insurance company sent me to Dr Biel for a medical evaluation. Dr Biel took xrays and told me that the surgery I had on my back did not heal properly and that he would have done things different. As I was still having pain, Dr Biel told me that he could correct the problem or I could go to any surgeon that I wanted. I went back to the original surgeon who concurred with Dr Biels evaluation and would be willing to perform another surgery on my back. I tried just dealing with the pain, which had been going on for 6 years. When I finally decided enough was enough I contacted Dr Biel. He explained everything he would be doing. I felt complete confidence in Dr Biel. Dr Biel performed revision surgery on my back along with repairing a nerve problem. He told me that walking was the best exercise. I walk one to two miles daily and the problems that I was having have been resolved. Dr Biel is thorough and concise. He expects you to follow his orders, which are to aid in your healing. I highly recommend Dr Biel if you have back issues.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

I am very happy to give Dr. Biel an excellent rating of 5! After at least 10 years of excruciating back pain and 4 previous surgeries by another surgeon, I am 4 months out from my last surgery, performed by Dr. Biel. I had decided that I would not have one more surgery. However, I had 3 - 4 first person recommendations to see Dr. Biel and give him a chance to help me. He ordered all the right tests and showed all of them to me in his office. I could not believe some of the things I saw with my own eyes that were results of previous surgeries. Dr. Biel explained what he could do to help correct the very serious problems in my spine. My husband and I listened very carefully and believed I had to allow this doctor to try and help me. After two weeks in rehab I went home very unsure it was going to work. However, I began my exercises at home but was unable to walk like Dr. Biel recommended. Two months after my surgery and twice a day exercises as well as outpatient physical therapy I was still unsure it was going to work. As I continued with my routine I found there were small steps of progress each week. I was walking with a walker but in spite of the progress I felt I would never be able to give it up. When I saw Dr. Biel he seemed rather aloof and said I should be walking more. I did not have the opportunities I needed to walk as often as I should but I believed I had to keep trying as long as I could. By the end of three months after my surgery I was walking all the time with only a cane!!! My husband got me a classy pedometer and I started counting steps and recording them! Oh, and the pain!! Well, my pain is 95% less than it had been in 8 - 10 years!!! I do have a "drop foot" and I told Dr. Biel I wanted to give my exercises more time to correct it. He told me I should give a brace some time to help and gave me a prescription to get fitted for one. What am I going to do? I'm going to give the brace a chance!!! It turns out Dr. Biel was right about everything else!!! By the way, as for his "aloofness", I realize now that Dr. Biel is a surgeon that says what he has to say and gives both of us time to see if it's going to work and me time to gain some confidence in myself and in him. And it's kind of amusing how suddenly he became a man I could talk to and even try to "make him proud" of me. I'm 71 years old and was very nearly convinced my journey was not going to last as long as my Mom or my Dad's did (89 years). When my attitude changed and I began to trust Dr. Biel to know just what he was doing and what he was saying to me, I am feeling 100% better and believe that by the end of 2015 I will be walking much more and quite possibly without a cane! Do you need one of the very best orthopedic surgeons in the State of Indiana? I truly hope you will consider Dr. Herbert Biel! I am so thankful for the excellent recommendations I had received from people I knew. I do so wish I had started with him!!!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

I amazed that this Dr is highly rated. No doubt! If he can falsify your records then off course he falsify his reviews. Online reviews, as we all know, can easily be mislead in rating. A Dr can easily have his friends and or relatives anonymously write good, bad and ugly, however, he/she wishes That said, in short, this Dr doesn't read patient history & records. When asked about in case of available online history, he blames the Community Hospital, the network system to which he belongs, computer system and management. He says, the computer system doesn't allow him to access. When asked why haven't their practice as a whole complains to upper management about the software. His exact words, they don't know care. In fact this Dr is the one who doesn't care. The software (Epic System) for his particular complain is bug free. To me he is not interested in the changing world as a whole, let alone the computer system. Rejection of adopting the changing world is the biggest drawback for professionals in any field, particularly in the field of science. In particular he has no knowledge of basics of treatment. For example, if you have had a partial tear in rotator cuff muscle and simultaneous clavicle fracture with no signs of nerve issue and you visit him with in next forty eight hours of your issue, he without looking into your records (CT Scans, X-rays,MRI, MRA) or checking you physically he will have his own X-rays taken (generates money for the practice) and worst the first thing he will ask you to go and have an EMG done which in my layman's term electromagnetic test for nerves. Why? No good Physician even outside of orthopedic specially would suggest that test: 1) because EMG is medically suggested only after couple weeks of your injury; 2) There is no evidence of nerve damage. May be he is getting kickbacks and or referrals from his EMG facility buddies. He doesn't remember or try to come up thoroughly on the patient's previous visit history thus making the patient go in circles. He is completely rude towards his patient and no empathy. On my first visit I gave him a second chance for the second visit but I may not be smart but common I am not that dumb either. Beside, but not giving any attention he leaves the office in less than one minute after seeing his patient and writes the progress report and problem list. To support this argument, his problem list contradicts with his progress report, at least in my case. I am boggled, that the system above him has not even felt this or if felt then they only care how good the practice is generating the revenue. They say the buck stops here/there. I say "The buck ignores everything. BTW, Dr Biel is associated with Community North at Clear Vista in Indianapolis. I have written the truth here, nothing more nothing less. Thank you Dr Biel, making me to bring out your true side.

Submitted August 28, 2014

I had experienced severe leg pain for some time. After an MRI that showed bone spurs and scar tissue between L4 and L5 Dr Biel suggested surgery to clear out the bad stuff and reduce the presure on the nerves leading to the legs. Surgery was performed and all leg pain is gone. Dr. Biel was very professional thruout and I highly recommend him. Thank you Dr. Biel

flag | Submitted March 12, 2013

Dr. Herbert M. Biel's Credentials

• Wright State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1987)

Harvard-Pilgrim