Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Ruckenstein

This Dr must be crazy.------------------------------

flag | Submitted April 28, 2016

I should have googled Dr. Ruckenstein before I made an appointment with him. It should have been a red flag that he was available with an appointment two days from when I scheduled. I arrived at my appointment early and had a few ear tests done. The nurse asked me questions and then without letting me speak or even meet Dr. Ruckenstein started giving me anesthesia to numb my throat and ears for a "regular procedure" that I had no idea what was happening. While the nurse was still asking questions, Dr. Ruckenstein came in and didn't even introduce himself or shake my hand. He said, "What are you here for?" He was extremely rude. I tried to say that I didn't want the long stick going up my nose because I was extremely uncomfortable with the whole experience and atmosphere. He proceeded to say that if I had this "regular procedure" done then I could pass out, but then they could "immediately wake me back up" or I could have a bloody nose. Absolutely insane. After I said that I did not want the procedure done, he left. They gave me anesthesia for NO REASON AT ALL and I couldn't feel my throat, lips or ears for an hour and a half after it was done. Terrible experience. Malpractice. He is completely unprofessional and rude. I will never see him again. Make sure to make an appointment with someone else.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

I should have read these reviews before making an appointment with Dr. Ruckenstein. A co-worker of my wife recommended him with the disclaimer that his “bedside manor” wasn’t the greatest. I choose to see him since his credentials appeared to be very good. I had prostate surgery last year at Penn Presbyterian so there were many tests already in Penn’s system. I’ve been seeing another ENT Dr. for over 30 years. I made this appointment with him because I had recently been diagnosed with Labyrinthitis which left me totally deaf in one ear. I got the confirmation the morning of the appointment with Dr. Ruckenstein. At the time I thought it was a good idea I had made the appointment. Last year with my prostate cancer I initially saw the head of urology at Fox Chase. I then went to see Dr. Wein, head of urology at Penn for a 2nd opinion. I was expecting a similar experience with Dr. Ruckenstein as I had with Dr. Wein who was very thorough and took plenty of time to explain where I was, options, next steps, etc. That was not the case with Dr. Ruckenstein. Dr. Ruckenstein did a brief exam of both my ears. He then leaned back and said that he agrees with my Dr. that my deafness is permanent… I was waiting for him to say something else but it seemed as if that was all he was going to say. My wife, who was with me asked about any possible surgery. He answered that question briefly. Again silence from him… I then asked about any possible devices that were available that would be of help. Part of the reason that I choose to see him is that HE IS the Director of Implantable Hearing Devices Program. He answered with what wouldn’t work, adding that getting a BAHA would look bad on a guy like me with short hair but that they’re coming out with something smaller in the future. With that he again he was silent as if to signify that, well we’re done here. I’m not sure what was going on, if he had a bad day, thought I was another Dr.’s patient so just an “I agree” answer was all that was needed. After I saw him I found the link https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/transcripts/1489_single-sided-deafness-what-are-your-options which in reading it over is what in a more condensed way I would have hoped Dr. Ruckenstein would have covered with me. I could have just stayed home and read that and gotten more information than I did at my appointment. I honestly feel as if this was one of the worst experiences I’ve had with a Dr. I was not expecting there to be a silver lining to this appointment I knew the news was bad. Based on the many appointments I had with other Dr.’s at Penn I knew that this experience was not the norm. Perhaps Dr. Ruckenstein should focus on just the teaching part at Penn if he doesn’t have the time, energy or interest to devote the needed time with patients.

Submitted April 2, 2015

I love Dr Ruckenstein. He spent a lot of time discussing things with me and my family. He listens, takes the time to answer my questions and address my fears. He is incredibly skilled and knowledgeable. On surgery day I knew I was in great hands. I'm very grateful to this doctor.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2015

I absolutely loved Dr. Ruckenstein- my previous doctor had misdiagnosed my ears and I'm so thankful that this doctor knew immediately what it was and what it wasn't. I was super impressed aalso with the time he took to explain the two issues going on with my ears. They were each long and confusing ailments and he was great. I saw the previous posts and felt I had to write that this doctor is super and I look forward to going back to him again.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2013

I was disappointed in Dr. Ruckenstein's overall lack of professionalism. He didn't greet me or my husband at first. He told me to refrain from mentioning the referring doctor's name or my history. A proper diagnosis would not be in the cards because he wouldn't give me the courtesy to speak and he never explained the purpose behind any of the tests. He seemed very pompous and perhaps jaded from being in a university setting for so long. My doctor at home was kind enough to refer a patient to him and he would not acknowledge that courtesy. I felt very small and more of a shell than a person. How can you properly diagnose someone if you don't have your listening ears on? I'm going to rely on my current doctor's findings and never again step into an office with a narrow minded doctor who lacks the care gene. He may tote impressive credentials, but it doesn't mean he's right.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2013

I have Meniere's Disease...and honestly the only thing worse than Meniere's Disease is Dr. Ruckenestein. He promised he would get me "straightened out" and then blew me off....repeatedly. It has been a very disheartening experience. Don't be fooled by the fancy credentials... when it comes to Meniere's he has only told me the more we research it the less we know and left me with a pat on my back and a wish for a nice summer as I sat blinking back tears.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2012

I waited for about 55 minutes and this doctor spent only less than 3 minutes in the room. Without further explanation, he immediately referred me to another specialist. All the comments other patients put down were so true as he did the same to me as well. I will NOT go back to see him nor recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2012

I felt Dr. R. was not concentrating on me and I had the sense that I wasn't as difficult as he might have usually. Seemed as though he was just putting in the bare necessary time. He did a procedure by putting a tube in my nose to the throat and didn't explain what he was going to do let alone what he was doing.I was really scared

flag | Submitted January 31, 2010

Staff at Radnor is terrible - Dr. Ruckenstein's nurse was not only disrepectful, but very disorganized. She couldn't find records that I had personally fax'd to her 2 times. Dr. Ruckenstein was pleasant, but seemed as if he didn't want to be bothered with me. He sent me to a neurologist for evaluation. Attempting to reach him by phone was impossible - his nurse would not put him though even though he told me to call him. I think he is very knowledgeable but he appears to want to deal with issues that would get him more media exposure.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2008

Dr. Michael J. Ruckenstein's Credentials

• Mc Gill Univ, Fac Of Med, Montreal, Que, Canada (Grad. 1986)

WellCare Health Plans